Mark Gasnier to France!

Discussion in 'NRL / Southern Hemisphere' started by Gay-Guy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

Mark Gasnier changes code and takes 1 Million per season to play rugby in France. A huge amount for someone who is not even in a current rugby team! Gasnier quoted the Dragons non 3rd party payments that were promised him as the central reason for him leaving.

It looks like the money in Europe will eventually do to union and league what has already happened in soccer....money will turn Europes competition into the premier leagues aorund the world.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. BLR

BLR Guest

Gasnier was always a greedy ******* when it came to money.

Remember last contract he tried to play off Union and League so that he'd be able to get more money out of the Dragons, I am just surprised he finally followed through on his threats.

4. nam97

nam97 Guest

Will be interesting to see how his pans out. He may even end up in French colours if he stays put over there.

5. If you guys down south went to games and bought merchandise, this wouldn't happen. Everytime I see southern hemisphere rugby there isnt anyone in the stadium

6. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Not that simple... You lot really have no idea how it works in our part of the world do you? In England you have 3 sports that are big, but really only 2 because league is highly centralised in the North. Ontop of that you have a population of 60 million people. Australia has a population of 20 Million, with most people living in areas where AFL is King. Sydney is a big Rugby League town, sure, but with 9 teams just for rugby league, an AFL team and a Union and soccer team, the support base becomes quite thin. Saying "we need to go to more games" is all very well and good, but the reality is Sydney is the most diluted sporting market in the world.

7. candybum

candybum Guest

That's full of s*it haha Good on yah Gas, so can i have a dollar? QLD 4 in a row?lol

And agreed with Sanzar. Its a competitive market for sports industries these ways concerning "bums on seats" as my lecture would say, but i reckon in NZ we're just poor, or maybe thats just me lol Would you say Cricket is another sport in the competitive market in Aus? Netballs seems to do fairly well because of the new comp.

Also inflation, the blardy inflations!!

8. Football here blows Rugby away, so you can't say that there is more for you guys to choose from because there are 92 league football clubs, and non-league teams get decent attendances too.

9. jawmalawm24

jawmalawm24 Guest

I reckon good on him go where the money's at. $1mil a season is pretty hardout for a fulla that aint even playing in a rugby team yet. What position would he play? and what club has he chosen to join?

10. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

His contract is for two years but I reckon after he tastes the bigger crowds in the Heineken cup, the lifestyle of France, the success of a team like Stade Francais, the rubbing shoulders with international players on and off the field, the bigger exposure that rugby has etc....he may either want to extend his contract or come back to Australia and try and get into the Wallabies squad for 2011.

11. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Football here blows Rugby away, so you can't say that there is more for you guys to choose from because there are 92 league football clubs, and non-league teams get decent attendances too. [/b][/quote]

Actually yes I can, in fact I can quite emphatically state that Sydney, per capita, is a significantly more competative sporting market than ANYWHERE in the UK. RL in Sydney isn't limited to the 9 NRL clubs if you want to put it like that as there are several divisions below it where some of the tradition clubs that have merged still exist. Ontop of that you have the Sydney Club Rugby Union scene which has 14 teams that feed into the waratahs, then there's the AFL, and the growing soccer scene. This is all in Sydney alone remember (which has a population of only 5 million spread over a very large area). If you were to include the multilayered AFL giant that exists all over the country it gets considerably more competative.

And that's just it. You have a huge soccer scene, but that's about it... Rugby is really your only competition so it should get solid attendance just by rights of the lack of other major sports.

England - 60 million people, 1 major sport, 1 slight competator

Australia - 20 million people, 3 major sports (AFL RL RU), 1 growing competator (soccer)

We have more sport here, it's as simple as that.

12. ak47

ak47 Guest

SANZAR is 100% correct

The nature of having 20 million people means we cannot afford what Europe can pay
    Attendances – TV ratings etc
    **** off Gasnier- chase the money
    He is overrated anyhow, and spends more time on the sidelines, isn’t even worth 1 million, there are 10-15 more worthy players to pinch from the NRL.
    It’s a small world the NRL…u wont get paid AS MUCH, and that’s the way it is.
    He is greedy, tried this 2 years ago, and uses a clause ASAP
    He falls out of cars, writes stupid texts – this guy is an idiot of the highest order – needs all the fund he can get as post football he wont bring much to the media table – his only hope is coaching – needs a nest egg

13. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Actually it would still happen, the NRL has a salary cap, which if the Dragons matched the offer Gasnier accepted he would've taken up a third by himself...

14. Oh well, you guys need to start breeding more and stuff

15. You can't argue with a rugby player taking the money, from either code.

16. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

I can.

Farrell ruined the England backline for 12 months. Not that it was particularly wonderful in the first place, but that's a different story.

17. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Well with all the f#cking catholics in Sydney at the moment there's a chance that their weird customs and beliefs in some mystical bearded dude in the sky might persuade people to avoid contraception... but I doubt it. We're dumb, but we're not Americans :p .

18. cyRil

cyRil Guest

Or just qualify for France.

19. Charles

Charles Guest

Or just qualify for France. [/b][/quote]

I think he'll be kak at Stade francais, and he will certainly not play for France anyday.

20. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

I read somewhere that he had a French passport because one of his grandfathers was French. Furthermore he is apparently married to a French woman. So you are right he could wear the blue jerzey if he plays better than the current holders. Let's wait and see.

21. Gay-Guy

Gay-Guy Guest

The player Stade Francais should have bought for A$1 million is Inglis.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!