Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

getofmeland

So does Martin ‘Johnno’ Johnson deserve to be in the TRF Hall of Fame

Vote and Discuss now

If you feel he shouldnt be in the TRF Hall of Fame explain why? Its time for Discussion on the Issue, dont just vote No and not give reasons

Johnson was an invaluable player for England, was always hugely missed when he wasn't playing during his career, is still missed now. Would Johnson have made the same idiotic call that Lawrence Dallaglio made in their grand slam game with Wales at Wembley to kick to the corner when the goal kick would have put the match beyond all doubt, methinks not. Again he was missing in 2000 when the Scots and their raindance caused England no end of bother and the following year in Dublin a hand injury denied him a place in another futile grand slam effort. No doubt he wouldn't have been moronic enough to employ the lineout calls from the previous Summer's Lions tour. He took the ball on those crucial extra yards to set up the infamous drop goal for world cup glory.

Love him or loathe him and there were plenty who hated him, his place as a legend is indisputable.

Who are the people who have voted no? What are the odds that it's simply because you disliked him. Hell I disliked him, didn't mean he wasn't an awesome player though.

A resounding yes! Nobody can deny what an ambassador for the game this man is, both on and off the pitch. A man who, had things panned out slightly differently could happily have been an all black, and had the playing ability to fit into ANY international side of his era.

He was a strong leader and an exemplary player for both England and Leicester. Anyone who tries to deny him a place in the HOF is either ignorant or a bitter australian :p

I voted no. I agree he was a good player but not good enough to go into the Hall of Fame. Ok, I never seen all his matches for England, but I never think he was anything special. I wouldn't of thought he would get into the England side now with all the depth they got at second row.

Originally posted by gjohn85@Mar 7 2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, I never seen all his matches for England, but I never think he was anything special. I wouldn't of thought he would get into the England side now with all the depth they got at second row.
Why are you even getting involved if you haven't watched much of him? :wall:

Johnson was not the best second row the world has ever seen. He was not the number one lineout jumper. He wasn't the number one tackler. He wasn't the number one ball carrier.

What he was was arguably the greatest on the field leader international rugby has ever seen. When the ball needed taking into contact, he did it (World Cup final, Johnson's final carry typified his ability to think clearly in pressure situations).

When a solid jump was needed he provided it.

And most importantly, when English backs were to the wall, Johnson stood up, rallied his troops, and more often than not got the result. Against New Zealand in 2003 he proved this magnificently. With England down to 13 men, he took it upon himself to stand up and lead, tackling and running like a man possessed.

He might have been a bit hot-headed at times. He may have been a Tigger. But despite these things Johnson is still a true legend of the game.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Mar 7 2006, 04:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gjohn85
@Mar 7 2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, I never seen all his matches for England, but I never think he was anything special. I wouldn't of thought he would get into the England side now with all the depth they got at second row.

Johnson was not the best second row the world has ever seen. He was not the number one lineout jumper. He wasn't the number one tackler. He wasn't the number one ball carrier.

What he was was arguably the greatest on the field leader international rugby has ever seen. When the ball needed taking into contact, he did it (World Cup final, Johnson's final carry typified his ability to think clearly in pressure situations).

And most importantly, when English backs were to the wall, Johnson stood up, rallied his troops, and more often than not got the result. Against New Zealand in 2003 he proved this magnificently. With England down to 13 men, he took it upon himself to stand up and lead, tackling and running like a man possessed.

He might have been a bit hot-headed at times. He may have been a Tigger. But despite these things Johnson is still a true legend of the game. [/b]
I thought thats what DE-RALLY-OO did?

Originally posted by gjohn85+Mar 7 2006, 06:27 PM-->
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Mar 7 2006, 04:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gjohn85
@Mar 7 2006, 03:40 PM

He might have been a bit hot-headed at times. He may have been a Tigger. But despite these things Johnson is still a true legend of the game.
I thought thats what DE-RALLY-OO did? [/b]
I would always rate Martin Johnson over Lawrence Dallaglio....

Lawrence Dallaglio will never get my vote to enter the TRF Hall of Fame, if someone writes an article...

As I said before Dallaglio will always be remembered for bottling the chance to win a grand slam.

Dallaglio is a muppet, Johnson is a legend, bit of a difference.

MJ is an interesting issue. For his playing abilities I would say no to putting him into the hall of fame but as a leader then his inclusion is necessary - just like any other world cup winning captain.

I think that it is a bit early to make a decision on this player - let's not get caught up in the hype of England winning the world cup and make him a knight or something.

I think that there should be a reasonably well-defined criteria for inclusion in the hall of fame. Things like playing ability, contribution off the field and contribution to non-rugby issues (charity-work etc), and a good person criteria (in other words that they have a record of behaving themselves on and off the field) should all contribute to whether they are included or not.

My final decision for MJ is to delay his inclusion until at least the 2007 world cup is finished and then add him as a world cup winning captain rather than his playing abilities.

I must say however that he was a quality player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts