TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_48669743_martin466282.jpg

Martin O'Neill has resigned as Aston Villa manager with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald has been appointed caretaker boss while no reason has been given for O'Neill's decision to leave after four years in the job.

MacDonald will prepare the side for their Premier League opener against West Ham on Saturday.

O'Neill, appointed in 2006, said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club."

The 58-year-old O'Neill, who led Villa to their third successive sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last season, added: "I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8898993.stm

Gutting for Villa. I notice how he didn't thank the board or Randy Lerner. They have clearly effed him over bigtime trying to sell players behind his back.

I don't think he was too happy to be told he needed to sell to buy when last year he didn't need to do that.

Are none of the words that could describe Martin O'Neill......

Good manager in my books. Did quite well with Villa but hasn't got the financial clout to take on the likes of City, Spurs or Liverpool so he would have struggled to bring them any further than 6th. He'll probably have to move down the table to get a job unfortunately.

Lads he to Villa from been a relegation flirting club to consistently been in top 7 on little cash and selling top owners. Call him what you like but his record shows his calibre and well I won't be surprised to see Villa slip down table again

This "no money" myth is a total and utter lie. He was the 3rd top spending manager in Europe 2 years ago!

This "no money" myth is a total and utter lie. He was the 3rd top spending manager in Europe 2 years ago!

Maybe true, Lerner pulled the plug on money into Villa because of his other sport club he owns.

For those not in the know with the NFL, he owns the Browns and this season in an uncapped wage season in the NFL and its likely to be for the possibility of a few more seasons. Therefore he has to rain in all the money he has. Lerner also is not worth as much as he was seeing a slight decrease in his assets.

O'Neill did not have the money as what the big clubs had. Yes he did spend but when you compare that to the likes of Man U, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham etc then Aston Villa could not compete with them. What he did at Villa was a solid job, people will often over look this.

Liverpool have made a net PROFIT on transfers for the last 2 years, I don't know why people keep using us as a financial example. He has taken them to 6th place in the last 3 seasons, spending a fortune and making no improvement.

And there's no maybe - he spent £60m 2 summers ago.

No improvement. Before O'Neill, Villa were a nothing club. Mid table doing **** all. He has got them 6th three years in a row since taking over, making them a proper force in Premiership. He may have spent big initially, but I think he compensated later on by not moving at all in the transfer market.
He made Leicester a decent Premiership team (2nd half way through the season in 2001, I believe), won numerous trophies with Celtic, and transformed Villa into a quality side with a strong backbone of English players. Watch them plummet under a new manager.
To call him an overrated tosser is ******* bullshit. Suck my balls.

Liverpool have made a net PROFIT on transfers for the last 2 years, I don't know why people keep using us as a financial example. He has taken them to 6th place in the last 3 seasons, spending a fortune and making no improvement.

And there's no maybe - he spent £60m 2 summers ago.
Benitez spent 17m on Johnson and 20m on Aquilani. That's quite a lot of money on two substandard players. Remind me where you finished?

Benitez spent 17m on Johnson and 20m on Aquilani. That's quite a lot of money on two substandard players. Remind me where you finished?

Both good players - what's your point?

One can't defend and can only attack and the other is a sick note who has yet to prove his £20m price tag :lol:

This myth that Johnson can't defend is just that - a myth.

No it is not. Are you actually saying they are both worth the money paid for them?

No it is not. Are you actually saying they are both worth the money paid for them?

Johnson's currently the England right back. I'd say £10m (which is what we paid) was a good deal. He's a top player. He can improve defensively but this "he can't defend" motif is total and utter garbage.

Aquilani is a top player. I don't know whether he's going to be a massive success in England, but that doesn't mean he's not a good player, because he's a very, very good player. And currently, we've only paid £10m for him too.

Latest posts