• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Match of the Day for Rugby campaign – Backed by Professional Rugby Players Assoc

N

Nebbie1

What we all want to see is a ‘regular’ terrestrial TV slot dedicated to show highlights from the weekend’s rugby union action across the UK.

Considering all of our 4 home nations are in the top 10 IRB World Rankings, no real effort is made to try and capture this audience and we need to prove to the BBC via our campaign petition and through your support spreading the word, that the UK rugby lovers have a voice.

Our petition and campaign ask the BBC to commit to delivering a rugby highlights programme on one of their channels over the weekend. Seeing as they have the rights to the highlights, the demand is there and we pay our TV licenses, I feel we have a public right to make our voice heard.

Click here to sign our online petition for a Match of the Day for Rugby: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/i-want...-for-rugby.html

Click here to view the article on the PRA website:
http://www.prarugby.com/41_487.php

Click here for our campaign website:
http://www.motdrugby.com

The website is there so the UK's rugby fans can support the cause by signing the petition and air their views, or pick up a t-shirt to spread the word in public. There is also a link to a 20,200 strong Facebook group.

The UK’s rugby clubs have already said to me that with greater exposure of rugby in the right programme format, it could raise the profile, awareness, understanding and following of the game, which in turn will help increase attendances at grounds.

I would like see rugby taken to a wider public audience and try and influence grass roots rugby. This will only happen if the BBC support the voice of the rugby public.

Don't just sit there thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if that could happen."

• Visit the website
• Sign the petition
• Get a campaign t-shirt
• Print off a poster
• Tell everyone about the website
• Join the Facebook group

I dont know if you know this or not but i'll tell you anyway.

Last night, my dad was watching TV and came across highlights of some of the Premership matches on BBC2 at 12.00. I guess it is later than you would like it and wont be seen by a lot of people, but it is a bit of a start.

Yeah we already know about them but its not a shade on the original Rugby Special which was an hour long, and had some really good stuff on it.

Is this a campaign to cover rugby from all 4 home nations?

will sign it, and will mention it on FOSRS - which is running a similar campaign north of the border.

dont expect much though, this is the same BBC that cant be ersed paying rights to show Scotland Football Matches that the whole of scotland was desperate to watch.

What I don't get is, why can't we have Scrum V sub-franchises for England, Scotland & Northern Ireland/Ireland? You know, same set up and what not but with regional pundits to focus on the regional audience.

It just seems a bit of a waste to have differently named programs when you can have the main Scrum V for Wales with Scrum V England, Scrum V Scotland and Scrum V Ulster!

What I don't get is, why can't we have Scrum V sub-franchises for England, Scotland & Northern Ireland/Ireland? You know, same set up and what not but with regional pundits to focus on the regional audience.

It just seems a bit of a waste to have differently named programs when you can have the main Scrum V for Wales with Scrum V England, Scrum V Scotland and Scrum V Ulster!
[/b]
But what rights do the BBC have for games concerning English clubs? If they can't show Heineken Cup or Guinness prem games then what are they going to show? Scrum V is only on during Magners and EDF weekends (and 6Nations etc) because BBC can show the footage.
The only non-sky channel in the UK that shows Heineken cup highlights is S4C and that is because it has the rights to show it in Welsh, Maybe if enough English people learned Cornish then someone could apply ofor the rights to have the games in Cornish and you can watch them then. :cheers:

Once again, the BBC have the rights to Guinness Premiership highlights amongst other things, so they could so them. Essentially what we're looking for is an hour long program like Scrum V in Wales or Match of the Day in football.

Once again, the BBC have the rights to Guinness Premiership highlights amongst other things, so they could so them. Essentially what we're looking for is an hour long program like Scrum V in Wales or Match of the Day in football.
[/b]
OK. well it's madness then. Not going to cost much to make a ScrumV type show, in a club house for free, the members can attend, a coupld of presenters. It's not like they don't have enough channels, they do one for the super league.

It's a good idea. One problem is the amount of games played on Sundays though. The highlights would have to be Sunday night. I would love to see more rugby on the BBC though. Surely they can give us decent highlights of the 6 games.

I watched the BBC current effort last week and they show comprehensive highlights of two games (including nearly 5 minutes build up for Wasps/Irish) and f*** all else. I wouldn't mind of they showed comprehensive highlights and than showed all the tries in a quick round up but they seem to ignore all the other games apart from a 20 second glance at the weekends results at the end.

Latest posts