• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Banahan hoping to win British Lions place

psychic duck

International
Bath winger Matt Banahan says he has not ruled out winning a place on next year's British Lions tour to Australia.

The 25-year-old has not played for England since last year's World Cup.

And he admits it was hard to impress the England coaches as Bath had a disappointing Premiership season.

"To show what you've got to the England coaches when you don't get the ball is quite hard, so I can see why I wasn't selected, but it's frustrating, especially after a good World Cup."

He continued: "But sometimes you need little breaks to get that hunger back and hopefully coming into this season I'll be a bit better than I was last year because I've got that drive.

"There's a Lions tour next summer and you never know, a good Six Nations, if I get selected, and you never know what's going to happen at the end of next year," he told BBC Radio Jersey.

The Jersey-born winger has won 16 England caps and scored four tries for his country since making his debut against Argentina in 2009.

He featured in four of England's five Six Nations matches in 2011 and made three appearances as a replacement at last year's World Cup in New Zealand.

But since Stuart Lancaster took over the England side he has been demoted to the Saxons squad.

"We've got two people in the squad with a third just called up by injury, but in previous years we were five or six up because we were always in the top four," Banahan explained.

"It shows that when you're in the top four in the Premiership that you've got a far stronger position to be calling for England positions than when we finished eighth this year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18440208

o5apug.gif

I wouldn't mind a Lions place either, if they are up for grabs.
I don't have a Lions jersey yet, this could save me a bit of money.

I wouldn't mind a Lions place either, if they are up for grabs.
I don't have a Lions jersey yet, this could save me a bit of money.

Matt Banahan's name can be replaced with any other professional rugby player eligible for the B&I Lions...

Though, only the Scots will get more credibility as they are the Only team this year to have beaten a SH side...

Why would the Lions need an Aircraft Carrier on tour?

I've needed a cheer up and now I've got one, thanks Bananaman.

That made me laugh so so much.

He's not on this tour because he's crap...not because Bath didn't finish top 4! Did make me laugh though.

That's cute. Its like when I wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger
Good to see Matt has't counted himself out of the Lions tour, Unfortunately those of us gifted with sight have. There's self confidence and then there's this (presumably a plan to kill all competition)

That's cute. Its like when I wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger
Good to see Matt has't counted himself out of the Lions tour, Unfortunately those of us gifted with sight have. There's self confidence and then there's this (presumably a plan to kill all competition)

I still haven't ruled it out!

C'mon, he's not that bad

I remember that tackle,

he sees Shane and fancies his chance of stemrollering the little man to make himself look spectacular rather than going for the easy try in the corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't someone here on TRF always have a signature with Mat Banahan, something along the lines of "Mat Banahan, the something juggernaut"

Didn't someone here on TRF always have a signature with Mat Banahan, something along the lines of "Mat Banahan, the something juggernaut"

Yeah i remeber him but couldnt tell if he was being serious haha

yeah, dunno where he went though

To be fair Banahan had a good season for Bath then, and was scoring tries for fun.
Every man and his dog could see he wasn't cut out for international rugby, but at club level he was on fire.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

I feel sorry for the guy. Managed some decent form as a big bash bosh winger a few seasons ago, and then SBW came along and he was forced to play 12 and 13 for club and country. If he'd been on the wing in the 2010 AIs and the 2011 6nations and the bath coaches weren't absolute **** he might actually be looking like a good player.

To be fair Banahan had a good season for Bath then, and was scoring tries for fun.
Every man and his dog could see he wasn't cut out for international rugby, but at club level he was on fire.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

maybe you couldn't see Banahan as an international Olyy, but lots of others have pushed for Banahan at international rugby ... even as a centre in some cases

so not every man and his dog could see he wasn't cut out for international rugby

If he'd been on the wing in the 2010 AIs and the 2011 6nations and the bath coaches weren't absolute **** he might actually be looking like a good player.

I believe that Bannahan is an underated player. What england will need when they play the wallabies are good strong offensive players that can brake lines and make something out of nothing. Bannahan is good strong ball carrier who is potentialy devistating.

Secondly, there's no doubt that Banahan gets a bashing on this site and on a few others two, it's a shame that people consider him to be another Vainikolo (who's had a good season, mind) and judge him without actually watching him play. Bath use him very differently to England, he comes in at first or second receiver, and is most effective when offloading out the tackle or drawing in men a la Bastareaud. Even despite this, he has scored 4 tries for England in 6 games. His defense is pretty sturdy, you only have to look on youtube to see how powerful he can be, and he rarely gets his decisions wrong when going for the intercept or the big hit.

Well I like him as a player, he has very good hands although his catching needs some work on... He has pace which can be turned on at any point, and he reads the play of the game very well...

I would easily say he is a great prospect for an England shirt.

All in all a great talent for the England setup...

Banahan possesses all of Tindall's qualities but in greater amounts - he's bigger, stronger, faster, has a better offload and hits people back in the tackle. The only aspect in which he loses out to Tindall, and admittedly it is key, is experience.

At 13, I can see why Bannahan would be good, although he has been caught out of position quite a bit, he certainly offers more than the ageing Tindall.

why does everyone seem to hate bannhan he is clearly a good rugby player, he scores trys off loads well and has good acceptable hands. he also does some crunching tackles.

Last edited:

Latest posts