• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

matt mcghan-the all blacks lost prophet

who is the most skilled athlete ?

• gareth anscombe (my choice)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • beudan barrett (fullback with first five cover)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • matt mcghan (second five playmaker.. mcalister'esk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lima sopaoanga

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dan the man nz

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
a well known up and comer of new zealand age-grade has been lost to league. 19 year old matt mcghan is now playing junior nrl at the storm nrl club in melbourne. before then however he had played for the nz secondary schools first XV competition winners last year with mags and was a frontline contender in the national schoolboys competition as well. both in union though.

he's a fantastic athlete and its a shame hes playing the other version of rugby (haha i just prefer union to be honest)

but please tell me. was this expected ? should I be so surprised ?

Sky sport has been broacasting college XV rugby on the rugby channel which has brought much interest from scouts from the nrl. So i think this could be just the start of young talent going offshore or changing codes.

Its not much of a surprise when you consider that his dad was Kiwis captain. He is a good player and it is a shame for union that he has gone to league. Every young boy in New Zealand still wants to grow up to be an All Blacks and the game will be in no trouble here until that tops.

You shouldnt be suprised at all. For one his dad is a League legend and has always angled to get his son into the NRL and for another this happened many months ago. Lima Sopoagas little brother and Tana Umagas son got signed at the same time.

Just a side note, Barrett is NOT a fullback who covers first five! hes a first five who covered fullback at the U20 WC. Its an important difference.

haha sorry i guess your right its amazing he seems to play fullback just as naturally. good point about college rugby being on sky.. big help for young players exposure. im really looking foward to new zealands future problem of having so much class at fly half. seems so funny considering the situation of the past few years. cruden or delany hahaha. thank god for slade.

McGahan has a BIG head. He embarrsed him self on Rugby Centre last year when he suggested to Dan Carter that Aaron Cruden isn't the long term replacement at 10 haha Carter just laughed in his face and refused to answer

Latest posts