• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Maurie Fa'asavalu to join Harlequins

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
SAINTS forward Maurie Fa’asavalu has signed for Harlequins RU for next season.

The 30-year-old made his rugby uniontest debut in the back row for Samoa in 2002 and also played every game for them in the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

On the back of a series of outstanding performances playing at flanker, and was signed by the Saints in 2003.

Mo has made 164 appearances the club and debuted for the Great Britain RL Team in 2007.

He was also named in the England squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.

Maurie Fa’asavalu said: “I’m very thankful for the opportunity given by Harlequins and I look forward to all the challenges it brings.

“I also want to thank St Helens Rugby League Club, Sponsors and Fans for the six memorable years we’ve been with them. Saints will be forever in our hearts.

“I am looking forward to the challenge for the rest of this season and bringing home some silverware for the fantastic Saints’ fans.â€

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/2685

I love big Maurie, but he's struggled with injuries over the last few years and it's for the best for both parties that he heads off to pastures new. Shame, because I love the man. Quality prop and unstoppable when he's fully fit.

Yeah, sad to see him leave. Wish all the best for him at the Harlequins RU.

Should be an interesting signing. I'm not a Harlequins fan, but he should do well.

God knows where he's going to fit in, he's way too big and slow to be a back and too old to learn how to flank (see: Andy FarrellJ. He's a league player, not Union. Stupid signing imo.

God knows where he's going to fit in, he's way too big and slow to be a back and too old to learn how to flank (see: Andy FarrellJ. He's a league player, not Union. Stupid signing imo.

I can see him slotting into a back up #8, where he can run a bit in the backline and not have quite the same ruck expectations as a flanker. Seems an odd move if that was the case though, because he'd finish the rest of his career on the bench, as no one is going to take Nick Easter's place for a little while.

I don't think he'd leave one of the top League teams around to sit on the bench for a mid-ranking Union team. My only guess is that he's been offered fairly regular game time and he fancies a shot at playing for Samoa in the 2011 World Cup.

It's a bizarre signing for Quins. He looked an excellent prospect 7 years ago and St.Helens picked up a real bargain in getting him to switch codes. Since his background is in Union, he has an advantage over some forward recruits from League (like Andy Farrell) but his best days are behind him. Good luck to him but I don't think he'll make a big splash for Quins.

He's ex-union? Where did Saints sign him from before?

Dur... it says in the article he was a back row! Okay, maybe he'll know how to do it. Still doubt he'll make as big an impact at Quins then he did on Merseyside.

Considering that Skinner, Robshaw and Easter are probably the best backrow combo in the league, he's not going to have it easy pulling the splinters out his arse.

With squad rotation becoming more of an issue, along with international call ups and injuries, he'll still see a lot of game time even if he isn't regular first choice. I think all top teams need at least 5 quality backrow players.

Fas was a flanker when we signed him in 2003. He may be able to fit in elsewhere following him time with us but a back he ain't. Although he did once appear at centre for Saints in 2006 and ran straight over the Catalans full back Clint Greenshields. Hilarious. I love it when the big men end up out wide.

Latest posts