• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Maybe there's hope afterall for the Australian scrum?

F

Fushitsusha

Patricio Noriega Jr that is... now we just need a Hasan Jr...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/no...9234901915.html

Noriega name returns

When Canberra rugby union fans watch the Uni-North Owls this season, they may experiencea sense of deja-vu.

Packing down for the Owls in the John I Dent Cup will be a heavy-set front-rower with a goatee who goes by the name Patricio Noriega.

It's a name well known in ACT and international rugby circles. Patricio Noriega was an Argentine Test player, a foundation ACT Brumbies prop and played for the Wallabies 24 times.

But Premier Division fearing a scrum-time mauling from the hard-as-nails 36-year-old can breath easy. The Noriega they'll face is the former Wallaby's son, a 21-year-old competition rookie who shares his father's looks and build, if not yet his reputation.

Focused on establishing himself in the Owls first XV, Noriega eventually wants to go down the same path as his father and play for the Brumbies and the Wallabies.

Several years after they became Australian citizens, his family moved back to Argentina in 2004 where the former Brumby took on a coaching role.

A short trip back to Australia by Noriega Jnr and his girlfriend has re-ignited his family's relationship with the capital.

"I came here with my girlfriend to visit her mum," Noriega Jnr said."Then I was talking to some Brumbies talent scouts and they offered me a position in the Brumbies Academy.

"My goal is to play for Australia. Australia is definitely my home and it has given my family everything."

But the imposing hooker has more than rugby on his mind. He plans to begin studying medicine at ANU in July.

When he broke the news of his Academy selection, Noriega Snr could not contain his excitement and joy.

"My dad was off his mind, he couldn't believe it.

"He is really happy for me and doesn't mind I'm staying over here. He thinks it is an awesome opportunityfor me."

Academy mentor Owen Finegan played in Brumbies and Wallabies forward packs with Noriega Snr and is now coaching his son.

"I used to be the ball-boy for the Kookaburras when I was younger and it's all different now," Noriega Jnr said.

Owls first XV coach Dave Purser said he knew there was something familiar about the 105kg hooker when he arrived at his first training session.

"I remember he came to the first training session and he threw three lineout balls that went right on the mark," Purser said.

"And I thought, 'That's a bit of a fluke'. But he completed the whole session really well.

"He scored his first try in his first game. He might need some match fitness but the aggression and the skills are definitely there."

This year the Owls were hoping to forget last year's horror run which saw them finish at the bottom of the ladder.

But despite international acquisitions, the Owls will be fighting an uphill battle against the competitionfront-runners.

The Queanbeyan Whites have proved last year's grand final victory was no fluke after strong efforts in the Vodafone Shield.

Whites coach Glenn Christini has asked his players to put memories of their 2007 performance behind them and concentrate on a new beginning.

"We're not going around to defend our ***le," Christini said at the season launch last week.

"No one can take that away from us. Now we have to concentrate on winning a new competition."

But the competition is expected to heat up with Gungahlin searching for the premiership that has eluded them in the past two seasons, and the Tuggeranong Vikings keen to regain their status as the No1 ACT side.

Wests have been troubled by off-field financial problems but still believe they are worthy final contenders.

Easts boast the dynamic duo of Jack and Henry Vanderglas and were one of the sides set to come of age this year.

The Royals snuck into the finals series last year after a much improved 2007 and will be keen to show last year was not a fluke.The 2008 premiership season kicks off this Saturday with three games being played.

This year the Owls were hoping to forget last year's horror run which saw them finish at the bottom of the ladder.

But despite international acquisitions, the Owls will be fighting an uphill battle against the competitionfront-runners.

The Queanbeyan Whites have proved last year's grand final victory was no fluke after strong efforts in the Vodafone Shield.

Whites coach Glenn Christini has asked his players to put memories of their 2007 performance behind them and concentrate on a new beginning.

"We're not going around to defend our ***le," Christini said at the season launch last week.

"No one can take that away from us. Now we have to concentrate on winning a new competition."

But the competition is expected to heat up with Gungahlin searching for the premiership that has eluded them in the past two seasons, and the Tuggeranong Vikings keen to regain their status as the No1 ACT side.

Wests have been troubled by off-field financial problems but still believe they are worthy final contenders.

Easts boast the dynamic duo of Jack and Henry Vanderglas and were one of the sides set to come of age this year.

The Royals snuck into the finals series last year after a much improved 2007 and will be keen to show last year was not a fluke.The 2008 premiership season kicks off this Saturday with three games being played.

But is he a marshmallow like the rest of our scrummagers, birth right doesn't neccessarily guarantee greatness...

Well he's 21, so he'd want to hurry up quickly and start dominating Canberra club rugby if he wants to go anywhere.

Well he's 21, so he'd want to hurry up quickly and start dominating Canberra club rugby if he wants to go anywhere.
[/b]
Props have a long life span...he's still a baby in a propping definition...it takes time to build up hardness...

Latest posts