• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

McAlister granted All Black exemption

C

candybum

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/mcalister-gra...emption-2670992

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The New Zealand Rugby Board has granted an exemption for Luke McAlister to play for the All Blacks before the end of year tour, as long as certain conditions are met.

The former Blues playmaker will have to play for the Barbarians before returning to New Zealand and will initially only be available for the Junior All Blacks.

McAlister will only be able considered for selection in the June Tests against France or Italy if a member of the squad gets injured.

But he will be available for Tri Nations selection.

"We think this is a measured and balanced way to manage Luke's return to New Zealand," Steve Tew said.

"It doesn't mean that he will be automatically selected for the All Blacks - no player is ever promised selection - but we have balanced his situation, and the fact that he has signed with the NZRU through to 2012, with those leading Super 14 players who are being considered for All Blacks' selection."

The NZRU announced in February that McAlister had re-signed with the NZRU.

He will return to New Zealand at the end of the English Premiership season next month

Conditions for McAlister's return;

• He will play for the Barbarians invitational side prior to his return to New Zealand.
  • He will initially be eligible for selection only for the Junior All Blacks, who are playing in this year's IRB Pacific Nations Cup
  • He would only be eligible for selection for the All Blacks if injury rules out the current contenders
  • He will subsequently be eligible for selection in the All Blacks Tri-Nations squad.
[/b]

Good. Anyone but that hack Donald.

Still, if you're going to bend the rules to suit yourselves, why have them installed in the first place?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Apr 26 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i'd take donald in my side any day over the drop goal king himself[/b]

Oh well, don't let Australia play Munster any time soon...because we all know what happened when the All Blacks fielded Donald there now, didn't we? :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 27 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Apr 26 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh well, don't let Australia play Munster any time soon...because we all know what happened when the All Blacks fielded Donald there now, didn't we? :D
[/b][/quote]

...They won?

:p

Anyone who says they'd take Donald over McAlister needs their head examined. I'd place Donald 4th in the no. 10 pecking order behind Carter (yeah, he's injured but still), Weepu and McAlister.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Apr 26 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 27 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Apr 26 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

...They won?

[/b][/quote]

You forgot to add that they won despite fielding Donald rather than because of fielding Donald.

lol... you guys! :p maybe i need my head examined or maybe i'm just being true to my username

donald is a clear second to carter, there's no doubt about it, but playing a scrum half as a flyhalf or playing a guy who tries to steal the show each time he gets the ball but ends up f***ing up royally, then that's to the detriment of the all blacks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 27 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You forgot to add that they won despite fielding Donald rather than because of fielding Donald.

:p[/b]

Didn't Donald score a try?

But, no, you're right. He's absolutely rubbish. Should never wear the black jersey again, radi radi raah.

For the record, InsaneAsylum, I'd say Donald has a tendency to back himself a little too much with ball in hand as well. I haven't seen McAlister playing up North, but hopefully it's helped him get over himself... If only so that the NZRU can over inflate his ego by breaking the rules for him.

The answer to the All Blacks' problems with Dan Carter's back-up is Stephen Brett.

fair call flux, i'm not a fan of donald's chip kick to himself. worked a few times last year but has failed miserably this year when trying to employ it.

I'd say donald is alright by me as his Super 14 form has been fantastic. He's the leading point scorer out of all NZ and 3rd overall thus far.

He just needs to make better choices. I suppose that'll only come through more game time, though.

I don't think Donald can make the tough step up to international level. He's too erratic. I would take him over Weepu who really should be playing half back but I would have more confidence in McAllister, Carter and Brett. I think it's good the NZRU made an exemption to the rule. The rule is meant to stop players playing their domestic rugby overseas and also playing for the all blacks. McAlister will definately be player in the S14 next year so I don't see what the problem is. It's good the NZRU can be flexible.

I actully like Donald, however he just dosn't have the fifth gear to play in the All Blacks. I am a bit of a fan of Jimmy Gopperth and think he should deserve a test, however much like Donald, I don't think he can go the extra mile to be an All Black. McAllister I think tries to be a little too tricky however I look forward to seeing him playing again for New Zealand.

While the NZRU can be flexible, it isn't really fair to say "No you can't do that" to some players, and then say "Yes you can do that" because they are needed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Apr 28 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I actully like Donald, however he just dosn't have the fifth gear to play in the All Blacks. I am a bit of a fan of Jimmy Gopperth and think he should deserve a test, however much like Donald, I don't think he can go the extra mile to be an All Black. McAllister I think tries to be a little too tricky however I look forward to seeing him playing again for New Zealand.

While the NZRU can be flexible, it isn't really fair to say "No you can't do that" to some players, and then say "Yes you can do that" because they are needed.[/b]

I never really rated McAlister myself. But I agree with Gopperth. I don't think he could ever get as a full-time AllBlack but he should be given a try sometime, he has been playing well in the S14 this season.

What about Dan Bowden (DB)?

Just wondering, how many people here rate Willie Ripia as a no. 10? I'm not saying he's All Black material or anything but I reckon he definitely has the goods.

Latest posts