• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

McCaw extends NZRU contract until end of 2011

S

Silver Arrow

McCaw extends NZRU contract until the end of Twenty11
allblacks.com - 09/06/2008
All Blacks captain Richie McCaw has extended his New Zealand Rugby Union contract until the end of Twenty11.

The 27-year-old loose forward announced today that he has committed to the All Blacks and New Zealand through to the next Rugby World Cup.

“The black jersey is the most important thing to me,†McCaw stated. “Playing for the All Blacks is the ultimate and I’m really enjoying the Crusaders. There’s more money available overseas, but personally, it wouldn’t bring the same challenge.â€

NZRU CEO Steve Tew expressed delight at the agreement reached with the All Blacks captain: “Richie’s commitment to New Zealand rugby is hugely significant for everyone involved in rugby in New Zealand. It shows how much the jersey means and that we can keep world-class players in New Zealand.

“Richie is recognised as the best openside flanker in the world and his extension is a positive sign that we can create the right environment in New Zealand rugby for players of his calibre.â€

McCaw’s contract includes a sabbatical option, but the All Blacks flanker says he currently has no plans to take it: “Right now, I’m feeling fresh mentally and my body seems to be handling the rugby ok so I have no plans for a sabbatical.

“I see myself playing here in New Zealand through to the next World Cup, but I appreciate that the sabbatical option is there to discuss with the NZRU in case things change over the next couple of seasons.â€
[/b]

:bana: :cheers: This is fantastic news for NZ Rugby. Whatever they are paying him, he is worth it and more. Hopefully this will influence a few other players to re-sign when their contracts are up for renewal.

Surprisingly I'm also pleased. I'm glad he stayed for the sake of quality competition for the SA flankers. If he left it would be between Burger and Smith as the best flankers in the SH. Those 3 improve each others competitiveness by being at each others throats all year. And that's what keeps our loosies on their toes and makes them highly respected in the rugby world.

Amazing McCaw still will lead All Blacks on RWC 2011 this will be an advantage for NZs
Congratulations he is the best :bravo: :cheers:

impact_ritchie_mccaw.jpg

Latest posts