TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
17696.2.jpg

Sir Ian McGeechan has called for an end to relegation in the Aviva Premiership for 'the good of rugby'.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2010-11/rugby/story/139746.html

Don't quite know if I agree with him. Yes it means that players with poor teams have the chance to improve and keep players, but it also means that there is no bright light at the end of the tunnel for the second teir. The only way I could see it work out fairly, is if the top 4 teams from the second devision all permanently move to the Premiership, that way the competitive teams which are on the verge of getting there, are able.

Last edited:
I've seen people calling for a Super League type model, where they review every X amount of years and promote relegate then, which would give teams time to get a new stadium etc. if they wanted to move up - would make more sense than just not having any relegation/promotion

However I say keep it as it is

Personally Id rather see two up two down and for me it would make it a more competitive Championship.

RFU then should help the likes of Cornish Pirates / London Welsh to develop their grounds to allow them to gain promotion. The current system is ok but it needs to allow more teams exposed to a higher level of standard of rugby.

Last edited:
Anyone who calls for the end of promotion/relegation should take one look at Exeter.

14 teams, 2-up/2-down and the end of test rugby clashes (and forced rest periods) would be a good move however.

I don't think standards would increase by locking clubs into the top flight for a period of a few years. A ring fenced 14 team Premiership would only serve to further dilute the talent base of players in England's top flight. As it is teams like Newcastle, Sale, Exeter and Leeds are filled with average English players and journeymen foreigners. Tacking on an extra four games per season would also be problematic with the LV= Cup a likely casualty.

Latest posts