• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Medallion Shield.

P

Propie

Hey, the medallion is a competition held in northern ireland for grammar schools. It's for 4th year rugby teams. Basically its the mini schools cup, which is for 1st,2nd's and 3rd rugby school teams.

What i was wondering is, is there any other competitons like this worldwide? There's bound to be something like this in NZ?

Propie..

What do you mean similar? A highschool tournament between other schools?
In SA most schools play a league format against sides in their region. It differs with the big rugby schools as they have rivalries that are more than 100 years old. Those games normally have a shield or trophy up for grabs.
When I played rugby at school we had our regional league and played in an annual invitational tournament some 1000km away from home, against schools from all over SA. The biggest tournament a teenager can play here is in the Craven Week, where you represent your province.
So it varies here.

In France there are leagues for Grammar Schools and Universities. There's a tournament in a second phase to designate the French Champion for each of the categories. These competitions are very old.

Oooh question can be more concrete yes???

In Georgia there are numerous tournaments held among the every generation rugby teams annually

I'm sure it's pretty much the same everywhere with your school then region then province and so on

Hmmyour probably right toxicfiend, i didnt really think this one through. Has the forum become really dead recently?

Yeah in NZ there's a schools tournament.

You play in your regional tournament, then the winner from each region goes on to a national knock-out tournament. There's 16 regions all up I think as it's called "Top 16" very original, then the "Top 4" come together in a town and play the finals as curtain raisers for a Super 14 game.

The winners are usually from Christchurch or Auckland. A wellingtion region school has never ever won the national competition believe it or not! we came close in 2000, we came 2nd to St Peters College, losing in the final 18-16 I think.

Then there are the regional rep competitions and also the international school comp which i think is an invitational comp. I know Kelston boys won it in 99 when they had Sam Tu'itupou and Lauaki in the team.

There are national school comps all over the rugby world.

Yeah, there probably is school somps all over the world at 1st and or 2nd level, but at medallion level? (4th year OR 14/15 yrs old)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Propie @ Jan 9 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, there probably is school somps all over the world at 1st and or 2nd level, but at medallion level? (4th year OR 14/15 yrs old)[/b]

Oh is that what medallion level is? 14/15yr olds? yeah NZ has got one. it's more of an invitation though, but the best schools are always invited, my old school almost won it one year, we were robbed in the final and lost out to Rotorua boys high school. I remember Liam Messam was in that team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Propie @ Jan 8 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, there probably is school somps all over the world at 1st and or 2nd level, but at medallion level? (4th year OR 14/15 yrs old)[/b]

Yes this corresponds to the "Championnat cadet" of the UNSS in France. There are Rugby teams in all age categories in schools and universities. Having said that the most popular team sport in schools in France has traditionnaly been Handball these last 40 years. In schools nevertheless there are more than 40 000 registered Rugby players, if you add Universities this must be in the range of 55 000.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 8 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Propie @ Jan 9 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh is that what medallion level is? 14/15yr olds? yeah NZ has got one. it's more of an invitation though, but the best schools are always invited, my old school almost won it one year, we were robbed in the final and lost out to Rotorua boys high school. I remember Liam Messam was in that team.
[/b][/quote]

Ah right, thats quite interesting. They've changed our 1st XV cup so that the teams who have no chance of winning (because the school is so much smaller) are put into a thing called the schools bowl. Just so they can play competitive rugby. It may be the same a med. level. Yeah sorry i didnt make myself totally clear! Anyway were through to the third round, and the draw for it has been made. We should win. But ill keep anyone whos at least slightly interested know how were doing :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Propie @ Jan 11 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Jan 8 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Propie @ Jan 9 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Ah right, thats quite interesting. They've changed our 1st XV cup so that the teams who have no chance of winning (because the school is so much smaller) are put into a thing called the schools bowl. Just so they can play competitive rugby. It may be the same a med. level. Yeah sorry i didnt make myself totally clear! Anyway were through to the third round, and the draw for it has been made. We should win. But ill keep anyone whos at least slightly interested know how were doing :lol:

[/b][/quote]

all the best mate.

Latest posts