• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Melrose sacked by Waterloo

R

RoyalBlueStuey

Waterloo have sacked their Aussie coach Mick Melrose. Former captain Dave Blythe took over for the game away against Moseley.

Waterloo axe falls on coach Melrose

Jan 8 2007

By Geoff Lightfoot, Liverpool Echo

WATERLOO head coach Mick Melrose has been sacked.

The news was not entirely unexpected as the Blundellsands side has struggled since promotion to National One at the end of last season and, with only two wins so far, relegation straight back to National Two is very much on the cards.

Melrose took over from director of rugby Ian Aitcheson and head coach Phil Winstanley who felt unable to give the time commitment to running a National One outfit and managed to bring a squad together but lack of financial clout and a refusal, wisely, to spend more than was in the coffers has put them at a severe disadvantage against the more 'well heeled' sides.

However with known disagreement in the camp as to tactics on the field the club felt it right to part company.

Former captain David Byth will take over at least until the end of the season and will be assisted by a number of senior players.

And Waterloo threw themselves a life-line with a tremendous 20-13 victory at Moseley to give Blyth some encouragement.

Waterloo opened the scoring, Dan Palmer pouncing on a ball as it squirted out of the Moseley side of a ruck. Ander Munro converted and increased the advantage with a penalty before Moseley came into the game with a try from Adam Cavesconverted by Ollie Thomas.

A second penalty from Munro extended Waterloo's lead before Thomas brought the home side to within a point.

With Moseley under pressure on their own line a clearance kick was charged down by Freeman Payne who followed through to score the winning try converted by Munro.

Shame it didn't work out but in some case a change is as good as a rest. If Blythey can get a few more bonus points and nick a win here and there there is hope...if he pulls it off it'll be a miracle though.

Great result for you guys Saturday well done.

I'll be there Saturday looking forward to it. Never been to Blundellsands before and always look forward to a new ground.

May the best team on the day win!

May the best team on the day win!
[/b]

You will!

It's a lovely old fashioned club with a top bar/clubhouse. Enjoy your day. I can't say what time I'll get there on Saturday as the early kick-off (2:15pm) has messed me up.

SB

Latest posts