• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Memorable Moments

no real significance to the try, i was beating act brumies in the 3rd season of world league, a million points to nothing, well ok not a million, but 50, after one of their kickoffs, my teams catching turned to custard, and i ended up scrambling for a few phases, inside the 22
<
, and then passed it out to howlett, out alone on the wing, and then he ran it up to the half way, were acts winger and full back were lining him up, but as you all would have seen, when you side step you do a s, so i doged the winger, and the fullback in one go!!! then nothing left but grass ahead of him, and try, under the posts
..........................|.............................
..........................|..............................
.........act FB-->*./...............................
.........................\.*.<--act winger........
..........................|..............................
..........................*..<----howlett..........

funny stuff happened in my tri nations game 2day. I was playing as australia, SA had the ball right on their own try line, the scrum half passed to the fly half for a clearing punt. HE kicked right at the goal post and the ball just rebounded and bouncing in the goal area. Matt giteau just dived on it at scored
<

playing against argentina with fiji on hard in world cup quarter finals and i find myself going into the second half 12-0 down. a few flashes of insripation (caucau
<
) but the 32 kmh winds see both my kicks go wide. the clock reads 80:00 and im pounding on their defence to get into drop goal range, i sling it back to little and he slots it from just inside their 10! final score 13-12 to me.
quite strange seeing as i had considerable trouble in that game but in the final against the wallabies i comfortably beat them 19-0
<
!

Just had the best match iv ever played. I was the all blacks with a slightly modified line up against the spring boks in SA. first match of tri-nations. its a 2o min half. For the most part (the first half and first 10 mins of second) its a close game with both teams attacking and defending well. eventually SA managed to catch up to the all blacks and open up a slender lead with a series of dropgoals so at the 53 min SA are winning by 26 points to 19.
The all blacks come roaring back begin ro really pressure the SA defense but a few handling mistakes (due to fatigue maybe?) and several huge try saving hits from the SA defense stop them crossing the line. The clock is ticking away and as it nears the 70th min the scores are the same and the all blacks mount one last major offensive
Theres a break down the centre of the field by carter takes a big hit just outside the SA 22. a quick ruck sees the scrum half (my apologys his name has escaped me) break to the left and palms off one defender to gain a few more meters before he gets smashed. the pass goes out wide to umaga who heads for the corner goes to dive but is tackled by the full back. the ball is played quickly to spencer who tried to find a gap towards the other corner makes a quick pass back inside to thorne who shoulder charges through one defender but is tackled just a meter short of the line quick ruck the ball is throw out to carter who manages to dodge one defender but is dragged down just after and places the ball down just inches over the line TRY to New Zealand with 3 seconds left on the clock. The pressure is on mehrtens to convert and bring the all blacks level. The kick is made but teh ball is caught in the wind and just riochates off the post and lands the right side of the sticks to make the final score 26 - 26 WHAT A GAME

lions tour of australia on hard

was losing 5-0 all match

80th minute goes by and hard pressed in attack only 5m out knock-on, scrum to australia on the 5m line............i was f***ing yelling my ***s off and the neighbours banged on the roof - shut-up its 2am!!!

scrum is fed, and a huge push from the lions causes a scrum against the head
classic set-play to FB joining line and thru gap, draw and pass FB, but cleaned up - (i pause the game swearing again..........stop f***ing up fool, hit that overlap)...unpause!
short ball to charvis, whom quick hands to Robinson and hits a gap to dive over the line 5m from touch 5-5.

Johnny lines up the kick - 17mph wind drfiting sideways - hits it cleanly and the lions get up after training 5-0 for 70mins, and a scrum against the head in injury time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was playing as some team I can't remember but thats not what's important. I used my Fly Half to kick a little chip over the top inside the opposition 22 and the ball was touched down in goal by the opposition. I then prepared for a dropout but the screen changed to my goalkicker preparing to convert!
<
I looked at the video replay several times and it clearly showed the opposition placing the ball down...
<
weird!

my first grubber goal ever.... england against SA at twickenham, if forget the score, b jonny kicks a grubber between three boks on the 22, then ben cohen picks it up and scores! another time, in world league, carlos spencer chips it, it goes off the goal pads, then he picks it up! tryyyy timmeeee. it was intense.

(post 250!)

The Crusaders beating me In World League Division one and reminding me that some hard teams can still occasionally beat me......thank God!

final score: 38 - 33

only loss of season though and still took two points from game to finish eleven points clear of second place!!!

was thrashing teams by 60-80 points in a few games.......oh well.

wil have to start playing as bad teams once six nations and euro league finished (and thus all cups finished and extra teams unlocked).

AW's life will not be worth living if these teams cannot be unlocked for one-on-ones etc......

Originally posted by fullback@Mar 28 2005, 01:13 AM
playing against argentina with fiji on hard in world cup quarter finals and i find myself going into the second half 12-0 down. a few flashes of insripation (caucau
<
) but the 32 kmh winds see both my kicks go wide. the clock reads 80:00 and im pounding on their defence to get into drop goal range, i sling it back to little and he slots it from just inside their 10! final score 13-12 to me.
quite strange seeing as i had considerable trouble in that game but in the final against the wallabies i comfortably beat them 19-0
<
!
Yea I find argentina a really hard team to beat as well, harder than Australia.

In fact I don't find the rating system a very good indicator of how good a team is. Quite often the lower rated teams are better. I think it depends on their lineout and kicking ability.

Those teams that have an effective kicking game, and are very good in line outs tend to be the hardest to beat. I found that whilst playing against Leinster in the European Cup. They kept kicking drop goals and very effectively for position, and as I could never win a line out against the head, it made life very tough! Argentina are the same. They use Contemponi very effectively.

Against 'better' teams such as Gloucester, they were more effective when running the ball but had a sh&^t kicking game and weren't that good at line outs. Because its pretty easy to defend, playing a running game tends to be ineffective for the AI, so those teams which employ this strategy tend to be easy to beat.

I also beat The London Wasps fairly easily in the quarter final (33-15) and they are one of the best sides in europe. Granted one of my tries was due to a glaring mistake by the wasps full back, so the score could have been much closer. Even so, although they threw the ball about all over the park and had some strong runners, they were not great at lineouts so couldn't maintain much continuity.

I am due to play Leicester Tigers in the Semi final, so I'll keep you posted on how that match goes! By the way I'm playing as Bath who have a rating of 71 I think.

I also think teams can perform differently from one day to the next. for instance when playing my two games against Gloucester, I thrashed them in my first game (playing away), scored seven tries 52 - 17 final score. However when I played at home Gloucester imporved their kicking game and defence, and I had a much tougher game, beating them by only 15 - 10.

One other point - I think Momentum has quite a big impact on the game. If the oppostion builds up momentum early in the game, it becomes quite tough to get a hold of the game, because you get tunrned over more, and become less effective in the lineout. Its important therefore to have a good start and establish some continuity early in the game.

scored an ace try against my cousin. on englands 10 metre line, im australia. Pick it up wiv gregan and run through gap. Fullback is across the other side of the pitch and runs across and i know in my mind he could absolutely flatten me into touch and that corner is looking further and further away! i dive for the corner and he gets a hand to me but gregan just places it down before being pulled out of touch!
<

trick is too control territory. Thats what rugby 2005 is all about. My world lerague games are so tough right now cause my team is completer **** and I am having to kick for territory and maul it down. basically my backs do nothing but kick and run the occasional try in. My play goes like this kick out of my territory bounce into touch. Force AI to kick the ball and then increase my territory. Maul my way down to the endline and start mauling then force the AI to collapse the maul to prevent a try then kick for touch have a lineout and maul for a penalty try
<
works all the time. Thats how I won against a far superior cats team
<

Originally posted by fullback@Apr 11 2005, 12:06 AM
scored an ace try against my cousin. on englands 10 metre line, im australia. Pick it up wiv gregan and run through gap. Fullback is across the other side of the pitch and runs across and i know in my mind he could absolutely flatten me into touch and that corner is looking further and further away! i dive for the corner and he gets a hand to me but gregan just places it down before being pulled out of touch!
<
Is it me, or do scrumhalf pick-ups score tries way too easily?

Right. First picture the scene. 2007 Quarter final. Oz (me) v SA. Hard mode. A great game, tough and un-decided until the very last minute.

The first try scored by James Howard (Oz, created) set the tone for the match. Miracle break and scores under post after recieving ball from first kick-off inside 22. Flatley converts. 7-0. SA were soon to hit back kicking a penalty goal and a try from their own 10 metre line out on the wing which montgomery converted. 7-10. Oz pushed on and were able to kick a drop goal to level the scores right on half time. 10-10. SA recieved the ball from the kick-off and pushed down field continually putting pressure on Oz. Jaco van de Vestyuizen kicks a drop goal to give his team the lead. 10-13. Australia regathered their own kick-off through Jone Tawake. thy kept pushing at SA's line but to no avail. With 15 minutes left on the clock Tuqiri kicks a drop-goal. 13-13. Australia gather the ball in their own 22 from kick-off and clear the ball to 10 metre line of SA. SA win the line-out a pass back inside 22. Jaco goes to kick but is brought down by rathbone and the ball is knocked on. Oz scrum with less than 2 minutes to go. They play a classic set play and pass to mortlock who is caught just five metres short. The ball is passed to howard who dummy's and ghosts through 2 score under the posts. Flatley converts. Final whistle is blown and Australia had pulled off a miracle 20-13 win.

I haven't had a chance to really sit with the game for any long period of time since it first came out. And after the my first match defeat against Canada as the States on Hard, I've had one or two replays (always on hard) and still haven't beaten the Canucks, until . . .

Dismal afternoon, we're down in Buenos Aires where the pitch gets as dirty as the women (so I'm told), I begin the game and after the first 20 minutes of the first half, it looks to be the same old same old with Canada up by 9 points thanks to a mix of penalities and drops.

Then I change the camera to Classic 2 view. Just on a whim. Got tired of losing in the other view.

I win 14 - 9 with two fantastic long range tries from my shuffled up backline (anyone outside the States -- who EA have starting is a complete load of crappola)

Finally that Canadian monkey is off my back.

weve you been capt? i havent seen you around for a week or two, starting to miss you buddie
<
<

Originally posted by captainamerica@Apr 15 2005, 09:24 AM
I haven't had a chance to really sit with the game for any long period of time since it first came out. And after the my first match defeat against Canada as the States on Hard, I've had one or two replays (always on hard) and still haven't beaten the Canucks, until . . .

Dismal afternoon, we're down in Buenos Aires where the pitch gets as dirty as the women (so I'm told), I begin the game and after the first 20 minutes of the first half, it looks to be the same old same old with Canada up by 9 points thanks to a mix of penalities and drops.

Then I change the camera to Classic 2 view. Just on a whim. Got tired of losing in the other view.

I win 14 - 9 with two fantastic long range tries from my shuffled up backline (anyone outside the States -- who EA have starting is a complete load of crappola)

Finally that Canadian monkey is off my back.
Where the hell have you been the last 2 weeks capitan? Starting to get a bit worried something had happened
<

Good to see you again
<

you know when you should be worried when a guy who goes by the name of "gay-guy" and a guy with a paul ***o altavar are missing you
<

The world cup (hard) had come down to this... 3 teams vying for Old Bill. France sitting the shadows awaiting the victor of the cross Tasman battle.

The Wallabies had been arrogant in their play throughout the whole tournament while the All Blacks had been scraping out scrappy wins with committed play and teamwork that would make any coach proud.

On halftime the Wallabies were clinging to a 10-3 win thanks in part to a questionable penalty and many missed offside calls by the referee.

The second half was another battle of wills. The packs looked like two giant beasts colliding with neither side giving an inch.

In the 72nd minute Marshall took a quick ball at the 10m line from a ruck and flung the ball to Mehrtens (he had long since replaced Spencer as the stand off). Mehrtens launched a booming kick into the Wallabies' end. Larkham picked up 10m short of the 22m line but before he could kick to safety Howlett crushed him with a spot on blow to the chest. Larkham lost the ball forward.

SCRUM TO THE ALL BLACKS. Marshall puts in, hooked by Oliver while at once the pack surged as one. The ball taken down to the 5 m line. Marshall throws to Mehrtens who puts a Garry Owen high into the corner. Mauger, playing full back, did a full on run from the 22m, leaped over Sailor and grabbed the ball touching it down. TRY

Mehrtens for the conversion... a terrible angle. It hits the post! 10-8.

78th minute. the restart is kicked to the forwards. A maul ensues which gains 10 m. flung to the backs. A dummy by Nonu (on as a replacement for Carter) sends him into space, back inside to McCaw. Tackled at the 22. Mehrtens moves into the pocket. A moment of calm then the ball to Mehrtens... the droppy is up... AND GOOD!!!! on fulltime the ALLBLACKS win!

The final was a non event... New Zealand gains redemption for their previous loss to France in the semis. A thrashing with a score line not worth repeating. New Zealand win the World Cup!!!

I just scored a beautiful running try. 6 nations match with England (sorry but they`ve got the best stats). Needed a try to win the match and stay in the running for the grand slam. Quick winger run a little inside and then a tackle and breakdown around the twenty two. The backs split in a v formation and I swing it out to the longer wing. Each man running on the outside of his marker and beautiful passes just before they get tackled. Wide, Wide around the defensive winger a pass to what I thought was my winger. Half a metre to spare and down in the corner, match over, the conversion to come.

I decide to watch the replay, just to bask in the glory and low and behold who is the speedster who did the out wide sprinting and the finishing in the corner? The bloody HOOKER!!! with a big number 2 on his jersey. I`ve never seen a front rower that far away from his protective nanny pack before.(sorry, us backs need a little verbal revenge) Seagulling on the sides of a ruck or maul they should be in, ofcourse but on the wing?

No it was fantastic. Easily my favourite moment playing the game so far.