• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Metal Gear Solid 4 - out now

I wish I could play this... but I've still got way too much to do in my last 6 weeks in Japan and then I go straight into my last semester back home as soon as I arrive back. Planning to buy this and a PS3 as soon as all that's done though. Reviews have described this game as the best looking and most well put together game ever made. Can't f#cking wait till I get my chance to play it.

Enjoy everybody. 35 minutes of gameplay interspersed with 18 different 25 minute cut scenes, telling a crappy manga tale of moral, mechs and incestuous cloning arms. Or something.

Meh.

Meh, MGS is one of those game that you either love or you hate. I personally love it, which is why I'm here. But you Teh Mite, you've made it pretty clear that you DON'T like MGS with every successive ***le to come out. So why are you here? And why on earth would you submit yourself to the MGS story when you know you hate it?
You don't see me on HALO forums complaining about how I wasted my time on that inexplicable celebration of mediocrity. Why? Because I wouldn't waste my time on anything I already know will bore the crap out of me :p .

Don't ever put Metal Gear Solid and Halo in the same sentence. Seriously, Halo is about as deep as Katt Moss' asshole.

Apologies, I felt it was necessary to make the point, but promise to never utter its name again.

Just watched the ending on youtube. I want 40 minutes of my life back. [/b]

Well, as long as you hopefully don't own a XBOX 360 i'll take that comment with a grain of salt. ;)

I often have to wonder why Teh Mite's more passionate subjects are things he hates, rather than devote that time to promoting things he enjoys. Surely for a man who owns a 360 he'd realise that it mite come across as slightly biased if he came across as hating 100.00% of PS3 things, but no. He just keeps doing it and thinking no-one will ever have the brains to see through it. It says more about what he thinks of other peoples intelligence.

I dunno... maybe he doesn't like the idea of a game like MGS4 encouraging people like me who don't have any of the current gen consoles to get a PS3 over an XBOX 360 or something, so he feels he needs to attack it.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not anti-PS3 as certain members of this board will make out, in fact if I could afford one I would proberbly make the investment for come hames (such as Haze). And for the record Mr. Iverson, I find your comment f***ing rich considering your reputation for lashing out at anyone who dare think of PS3 gaming as anything less then Nirvana. However I am blatently biased against MGS games. Why, you may ask?

I played through the 1st game on the PS1 and enjoyed it. No OTT cutscenes and (excuse the pun), Solid gameplay. I also (for want of a better word) "played through" the tech demo that was MGS2. Oh, it was pretty, some of the touches in it were neat, but most of the gamers time was spent watching monotinous cutscenes, half of which were on those crappy comlink things. One boss "fight" (Lady Luck) had you hiding behind a forklift truck until a timer ran out FFS. Where's the gameplay in that?

MGS games have gone from interesting and groundbreaking ***les to self-indulgent interactive movies with nothing that hasn't been done before, and then not even as good. Halo is proberbly guilty of the same thing, but at least that retains the original formula which made it fun in the first place. MGS lost that halfway through Sons of Liberty.

And one more point... I watched the endings as to know that the hell everyone will be going on about in the coming weeks when "oh, guess what I did this week" and possably understand the conversation. And now I know it's just as pathetic as the endings for 2 and 3.

I've never relentlessly bagged anything though. I've just been enthusiastically positive about my console. I have always made the case that the Xbox 360 is very obviously a great console with many great exclusive games. I obviously prefer what I have personally, thats all.

To be honest, my reputation is not for lashing out at those who think of the ps3 as anything less than gaming nirvana.

I would've worded it more that I've always argued against those who think that it's okay to rubbish a console because it's not what they like and those who use extremely over the top rhetoric to attempt to make a point.

Extremely over the top rhetoric to attempt to make a point. Hmmmmm, where do we ever see that?

And it's Iversen, not Iverson, but hey lets not sweat the details, lol.

Just to get back on topic i have this game and its wicked! I traded in Assasins Creed and Army of Two and spent an extra £20 to get this. The online mode is brilliant, ( Gamesmaster rated MGO 1% higher than COD4!). The offline is good as well (despite lengthy cut scenes) and i rate it very highly. I have now finished my GCSE's so I aim to complete MGS4 and GTA4 (while working for my Dad) but judging on the game so far it may take a while............

I'm not anti-PS3 as certain members of this board will make out, in fact if I could afford one I would proberbly make the investment for come hames (such as Haze). [/b]
You can't afford one? ****... how much are they in England. I've been in Japan for a good year now, so I'm not in touch with the prices overseas, but over here you can pick one up for under $400 Australia (if converted). So not exactly prohibitive.

And as for buying a PS3 for 'Haze', don't bother... by all accounts it's pretty ordinary.

<div class='quotemain'> Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not anti-PS3 as certain members of this board will make out, in fact if I could afford one I would proberbly make the investment for come hames (such as Haze). [/b]
You can't afford one? ****... how much are they in England. I've been in Japan for a good year now, so I'm not in touch with the prices overseas, but over here you can pick one up for under $400 Australia (if converted). So not exactly prohibitive.

And as for buying a PS3 for 'Haze', don't bother... by all accounts it's pretty ordinary.
[/b][/quote]

Agreed. Haze is a fairly average FPS. Stick with COD4.

<div class='quotemain'> Don't put words in my mouth.

[/b][/quote]

£324.89 is the cheapest I've found with one game, whush works out at AU$675. Not the sort of money I have kicking around down the back of the sofa.

I'm not anti-PS3 as certain members of this board will make out, in fact if I could afford one I would proberbly make the investment for come hames (such as Haze). And for the record Mr. Iverson, I find your comment f***ing rich considering your reputation for lashing out at anyone who dare think of PS3 gaming as anything less then Nirvana. However I am blatently biased against MGS games. Why, you may ask?
[/b]

Nirvana's ****. Only thing that caught my attention in this whole thread.

Out of all the games I've played MGS bores me to tears, even more so than final fantasy. I'd rather stick to Viva Pinata.

PS3 is stupidly overexpensive in England Sanzar. As the good Mite said, that's the cheapest. This may change with E3 around the corner, Zonerunner seems to think there will be a price drop announced there in the region of £30-£50.

I'll still struggle to justify the cost though - mgs4, Haze and Uncharted aside, until God of War and Final Fantasy come along, I can't really think of anything else I'd like on it at the moment, as invariably what comes out that I do like can be played on the 360.

Problem is, MGS4 is the end of the story. I used to write MGS stories when I was a kid, I just can't wait to find out (in detail) what actually happened. And Metal Gear Online looks like a good game, too.

Latest posts