• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Meyer's Leicester Tigers return in doubt

M

munross

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=17492

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The chances of Leicester's coach Heyneke Meyer returning to the club to see out the season are not good, says BBC correspondent, Ian Robertson.

Leicester confirmed to the BBC that their South African head coach Heyneke Meyer faces an uncertain future at the club because of a serious family illness.

Meyer returned to his home in South Africa on compassionate leave with forwards coach Richard Cockerill expected to remain in charge for the rest of January.

"Both his wife's parents are seriously ill, and he has gone back to assess the situation," chairman Peter Tom said.
"We're happy to give him all the time he needs, and you cannot speculate."

"Three members of (Meyer's) immediate family are involved in this," Robertson told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Leicester beat Bath 24-22 at Welford Road on Sunday and will play Northampton on 10 January in the Guinness Premiership.

Cockerill added: "At this time Heyneke needs our support as a club. He's got some issues to deal with at home and we wish him all the best and hope he's back with us very soon.

"He didn't leave until Tuesday evening, so he's planned this whole week's training, he picked the team, he's done all the tactics and he's been on the phone ever since.

"It's not an issue from a rugby point of view and we'll just get on with business as usual.

"Heyneke's made a massive impression here and we want him here for the long term.
"He's a world-class coach and we need that continuity within the club."[/b]

Wish him and his family all the best, one of the greatest coaches we've ever had here in SA and I think the Tigers would want him back soon.

Agreed that he's a good coach. Tigers were an improving side underneath him, but I think them losing him will be a mighty blow (pretty much proven by their poor display against Bath - who were rampant, in fairness). Wish him all the best, as you say.

Bath were rampent, you say?

I wonder which Bath I was watching. Bath have been poor for weeks now and only pulling wins out the bag by the skin of their teeth. It's a good sign of a class side when they can be so poor and still get wins, but they've been far from playing well since before the HEC started.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 6 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bath were rampent, you say?

I wonder which Bath I was watching. Bath have been poor for weeks now and only pulling wins out the bag by the skin of their teeth. It's a good sign of a class side when they can be so poor and still get wins, but they've been far from playing well since before the HEC started.[/b]
My excuse: I didn't really watch the game.

I think it was Brian Clough who once said:

You know you have a great team when they win even if they're playing sh*t.[/b]

Or words to that effect.

Leicester and Bath are currently at that level. Hope Meyer's family is okay but even if he comes back if Leicester win the Guinness Premiership, you can call me Meyer*.

(* apparently an old German phrase to say if you're confident that something won't happen, kind of like saying you'll eat your hat.)

An update:

Leicester Tigers' head coach Heyneke Meyer is reportedly bringing an end to his reign at Welford Road after six months and 17 matches.

The 41-year-old left the club over three weeks ago due to family reasons and is said to have told friends that returning to see out the two-and-a-half years remaining on his contract would be impossible.[/b]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunio...-step-down.html

yeah it's been confirmed today.

Originally posted by Setanta Sports
Leicester Tigers have accepted the resignation of coach Heyneke Meyer.

The South African has been on compassionate leave since travelling home to his native country with his family at the end of December for personal reasons.

"This has been a very difficult decision for me to make, in difficult circumstances, but I hope everyone can understand my reasons," Meyer said in a statement.

"Leicester Tigers is a very special rugby club and I accepted the job there because I felt it was equipped to go on to greater success.

"I enjoyed my time living and working in England. The Board, the staff, Martin Corry and the players, and the supporters have been fantastic towards me and my family during my time at Leicester and also during the time I have spent back in South Africa.

"I would like to thank them all for their support and wish everyone at Welford Road all the very best. I am sure the club will enjoy great success in the future."

The Tigers have confirmed that Richard Cockerill will continue to lead the remainder of the coaching team for the moment, assisted by Matt O'Connor and Paul Burke.

Club chairman Peter Tom CBE, meanwhile, paid tribute to the Meyer, saying: "It is with deep regret that we accept Heyneke's resignation because he has an outstanding record of achievement in his career, everyone was very supportive of him here and we could all sense success with him as head coach.

"But Heyneke found himself in a very difficult situation and we fully understand the reasons for his decision to remain in South Africa. He had the club's full support to remain with his family for as long as he felt necessary in such difficult circumstances.

"Heyneke is a very honourable man and, after spending time discussing the situation with his family, he felt it unfair on both parties to carry on indefinitely and has offered his resignation from his position as the head coach of Leicester Tigers.

"While disappointed that he is unable to carry on the good work here, we sincerely wish him and his family well for the future. They will always be welcome at Leicester Tigers."

From - Setanta Sports

I heartily endorse Alan Gaffney for the position of Leicester head coach ;)

I'd personally favour Rob Andrew getting the job myself. Keeps most things rugby related that I hate all in one convenient place.

if Gaffney were to take the job I wonder would he be willing to take Whitaker with him, himself and Ellis would get along famously.

Reports in the Irish Independent place Eddie O'Sullivan and Michael Bradley on the shortlist for the Leicester job. I was joking about Gaffney but damn, I wouldn't wish EOS or Bradley on anybody!

Imagine Eddie as Head Coach with Gaffney and Bradley as assistants :D Gaffney gone from Leinster and Ireland, Bradley gone from Connacht and Ireland A and Eddie just gone! Would make some Irish rugby fans very happy, not sure about Tiger fans tho :p

Latest posts