Not open for further replies.

tinchy17

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
Read this on the BBC Sport Rugby page.

"A knee injury has forced Saracens, Wales and British & Irish Lions number eight Michael Owen to retire.

Owen, 29, won 41 Wales caps and took over the captaincy midway through their 2005 Grand Slam season after Gareth Thomas was injured.

The then Newport Gwent Dragon went on the ill-fated Lions tour to New Zealand, returning home briefly for the birth of a second daughter.

"It's obviously with a heavy heart I've had to retire from rugby," Owen said.

"But I can be really proud of my achievements. I've achieved a lot and felt I had more to give but it's not to be.

"I have to listen to my body and it's clear I can't carry on, so I've got to move on and make plans for the future.

"I've started coaching with a local team... it's definitely something I'd like to go into so I'm trying to explore that now.

"I'm also going to go back to university and do a Masters in Business Studies, to give me the opportunity then to work in rugby either on the field or off the field.

"I'd love to give something back to the game, particularly in Wales in the future... trying to make Wales the best team in the world."

Owen began his career at Pontypridd and became Wales' 1,000th capped international on tour in South Africa in 2002 under Steve Hansen.

Owen joined Newport Gwent Dragons when Welsh rugby's regional era was born in 2003 and after Thomas was injured as Wales beat France on their way to 2005 Six Nations glory, the back-row forward took over as captain.

Owen's last cap came in Wales' historic 2007 World Cup defeat by Fiji that knocked them out of the tournament.

He left the Dragons to join Guinness Premiership club Saracens at the start of the 2008-09 season, but injuries halted Owen's ambition to return to the international fold.

Owen suffered the first of a series of knee injuries on New Years' Day 2009, the beginning of the demise of a player widely admired for his footballing ability and deft handling skills.

He returned at the start of the 2009-10 season, but in October suffered a further set-back against Toulon in the Amlin Challenge Cup and has been forced to quit after failing to recover. "

Shame, really because he was good player and an asset for the Sarries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8781489.stm

Read this on the BBC Sport Rugby page.

"A knee injury has forced Saracens, Wales and British & Irish Lions number eight Michael Owen to retire.

Owen, 29, won 41 Wales caps and took over the captaincy midway through their 2005 Grand Slam season after Gareth Thomas was injured.

The then Newport Gwent Dragon went on the ill-fated Lions tour to New Zealand, returning home briefly for the birth of a second daughter.

"It's obviously with a heavy heart I've had to retire from rugby," Owen said.

"But I can be really proud of my achievements. I've achieved a lot and felt I had more to give but it's not to be.

"I have to listen to my body and it's clear I can't carry on, so I've got to move on and make plans for the future.

"I've started coaching with a local team... it's definitely something I'd like to go into so I'm trying to explore that now.

"I'm also going to go back to university and do a Masters in Business Studies, to give me the opportunity then to work in rugby either on the field or off the field.

"I'd love to give something back to the game, particularly in Wales in the future... trying to make Wales the best team in the world."

Owen began his career at Pontypridd and became Wales' 1,000th capped international on tour in South Africa in 2002 under Steve Hansen.

Owen joined Newport Gwent Dragons when Welsh rugby's regional era was born in 2003 and after Thomas was injured as Wales beat France on their way to 2005 Six Nations glory, the back-row forward took over as captain.

Owen's last cap came in Wales' historic 2007 World Cup defeat by Fiji that knocked them out of the tournament.

He left the Dragons to join Guinness Premiership club Saracens at the start of the 2008-09 season, but injuries halted Owen's ambition to return to the international fold.

Owen suffered the first of a series of knee injuries on New Years' Day 2009, the beginning of the demise of a player widely admired for his footballing ability and deft handling skills.

He returned at the start of the 2009-10 season, but in October suffered a further set-back against Toulon in the Amlin Challenge Cup and has been forced to quit after failing to recover. "

Shame, really because he was good player and an asset for the Sarries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8781489.stm

Posted Here: http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?19002-Michael-Owen-forced-to-retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts