• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Michalak Settling In

S

Steve-o

http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/default.asp?d...e&id=248975

French International, 25 year old Frederic Michalak, could barely speak a word of English when he arrived in Durban for his very first visit when he was introduced to the media last year.

It was big news and TV, radio, newspaper, magazine and internet media were assembled to see what all the fuss was about. With 50 Test caps for France, his experience was going to prove crucial for a Sharks side that had lost an icon of their own in Butch James and the French maestro was hauled in to replace him.

While the pair have contrasting styles - James the physical, confrontational type and Michalak the midfield magician â€" the belief was that the Sharks couldn’t replace their World Cup hero with just anyone, they needed an experienced campaigner, someone who could be relied upon to deliver while maintaining composure in a backline full of youngsters.

At the press conference that day, the only English spoken from Michalak’s side was through an interpreter, but having greeted Brad Barritt with a “Hey Bru†at training, we managed to get his thoughts on being in Durban and how he’s enjoying his new safari adventure.

“My English â€" It is better,†he laughs.

At the conclusion of the English interview, we chatted in French (See the Podcast Link below) â€" well, we asked English questions that Fred answered in French â€" and he lapsed back into English at the end of it showing that he is starting to get comfortable communicating in the language of his adopted land.

So is he happy being in Durban? “Yes I am,†he admits. “All the players are very friendly, we have a good coach and it’s like a big family at the Sharks. I’m very happy here.â€

Obviously, for a cult figure in France who can’t go out without being swamped by his legion of fans and media followers, coming to the Sharks and then being a part of a failing team would have been detrimental to both his rugby development as well as his status.

So after five wins from five, he does admit that, “It’s nice to be here. There are World Champion players, and that’s good for me to play with them. We have won the games, but it’s not finished yet. We still need to go to New Zealand and Australia and it will be more difficult for us away from Durban.â€

He explains that part of the enjoyment of being in Durban is the fact that he is playing with a good side. “I am happy, there is a whole lot of talent in this team, some talented World Champions - but very young.

“The Sharks have a big pack and that means we will be a better team overall because the line outs and scrums are very good.â€

When drawing comparisons between Super 14 and other rugby competitions he has played in he says: “It is something else. It is not like Heineken Cup or the French Championship, it is like playing Test matches with the French international team against South Africa, Australia or New Zealand.

“All the best players are in the Super 14, it is as physical as a Test match and all the games are played at pace - I like it.â€

For a 25 year old with the world at his feet, playing Super 14 rugby was always a desire of his, not only for the experience, but for his own personal rugby development.

“I think playing in the Super 14 for the Sharks will help me progress, it’s like playing in the World Cup - every week is another tough, difficult game. I like this competition.â€

Against the Blues Fred adapted his own game to the dictates of the run of play, which meant defensively he was called upon to play a greater role than he is known for. “It was important for us to win against them because they are one of the best sides, it was good for our mentality and if we had lost it would have been difficult for the work ahead of us. Now our heads are in the right place and we can move forward.â€

He admits that the conditions in February and March have been tough. “Yes, especially in Durban, but we trained together in the humidity for two months before the competition started, and I feel a lot better because of the training. But it is difficult and we have to work hard.â€

He explains that the conditions have played in role in the way the Sharks have played, admitting though that they will not always cut loose, even with cooler weather ahead of them.

“It all depends on who we play; if we have to kick 10 times against a side who has good lines of defence, then we will kick 10 times - it’s important to play the right game plan. If we can play a running game we will, if we can’t, we kick.â€

Finally the hair. What’s with it?

“It was a challenge to Yannick Nyanga [his team-mate at Toulouse and Fran] to do the same,†he laughs. “Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t, I want to see if he accepts the challenge.â€

[/b]

Steve,

would you tell us your opinion on Freddy's performances so far and your feeling about how he's handling the team at fh?

Well with Muir's rotation policy Michalak hasn't had consistent game time, so an evaluation of his performances so far wouldn't be fair.

For a guy who has just joined a new team and a superior competition, I think he is doing just fine.

Creatively his been pretty quiet on the field, probably because he is still finding his feet.
Defensively he has been a ROCK. Very impressive defence. I like players who tackle opponents by the legs, instead of going for a big hit on the upper body.
And he knows when to tackle the ball in certain situations, e.g. the tackle on Grant against the Stormers.

So basically he's been solid but is still finding his feet.

(Very diplomatic response :p)

Well with Muir's rotation policy Michalak hasn't had consistent game time, so an evaluation of his performances so far wouldn't be fair.

For a guy who has just joined a new team and a superior competition, I think he is doing just fine.

Creatively his been pretty quiet on the field, probably because he is still finding his feet.
Defensively he has been a ROCK. Very impressive defence. I like players who tackle opponents by the legs, instead of going for a big hit on the upper body.
And he knows when to tackle the ball in certain situations, e.g. the tackle on Grant against the Stormers.

So basically he's been solid but is still finding his feet.

(Very diplomatic response :p)

Freddy is good don't get me wrong, but to me it seems strange to import a french international, stick him at fly half and not use him to kick at all.

When he chips the ball ahead into a gap and when he makes space the Sharks become very dangerous.. so y not let him take the place kicks or even then kicks for touch, yeah we've got a few other players who know how to use their boot but y not give him a chance to see what he can do..

Freddy is good don't get me wrong, but to me it seems strange to import a french international, stick him at fly half and not use him to kick at all.

When he chips the ball ahead into a gap and when he makes space the Sharks become very dangerous.. so y not let him take the place kicks or even then kicks for touch, yeah we've got a few other players who know how to use their boot but y not give him a chance to see what he can do.. [/b]

Yeah, because it's not like he has been on the international scene for the last 5 years and hasn't taken plenty of shots at both domestic and international level or anything.

His goal kicking's like Spencers - inconsistent as f***.

<div class='quotemain'> Freddy is good don't get me wrong, but to me it seems strange to import a french international, stick him at fly half and not use him to kick at all.

When he chips the ball ahead into a gap and when he makes space the Sharks become very dangerous.. so y not let him take the place kicks or even then kicks for touch, yeah we've got a few other players who know how to use their boot but y not give him a chance to see what he can do.. [/b]

Yeah, because it's not like he has been on the international scene for the last 5 years and hasn't taken plenty of shots at both domestic and international level or anything.

His goal kicking's like Spencers - inconsistent as f***.
[/b][/quote]

He used to be pretty accurate before 2004. He's just behind Wilko at the RWC 2003 with 103 points (18 conv 18 pen 2 tries 1 dg). But then the public started to blame him for not finding touch, having a weak boot and he lost his confidence. But the potential is there.

I thought he had a good game against the Chiefs. The backline looked a little more settled, with Steyn coming at first receiver and Freddy on second phase ball, although it didn't show on the scoreboard, ironically. Maybe the coach is finding the effective way to use Steyn and Freddy. If the Sharks manage to scrape wins away, I say they have a shot at a finalist place. They just need to work out the direction of the game, and play in the good half of the pitch imo.

I agree with you Charles, the Sharks have been lacking direction this season.
Loosing experienced players at key positions like hooker, flyhalf and fullback (Smit, James, and Monty) has definitely affected our decision making on the pitch.
I also think Muir's squad rotation policy hasn't help consistency and continuity in our game play either.

Luckily we have a brilliant captain in Muller and bags of talent.

Yeah, hopefully the pack is strong as ever (jacques Botes is a superb player, as Kankowski) which compensates for the sloppy backs.

My backline would be:
9 Pienaar 10 Fred
11 Pietersen 12 Steyn 13 Murray 14 Ndungane
15 Terblanche

or
9 Kockott 10 Freddy
11 Pietersen 12 Barritt 13 Murray 14 Terblanche
15 Steyn

Your first line up is what we'll most likely use for most of the tournament, although Steyn showed some great running lines at 13 this past weekend. I'd also like to see Kockett get a start soon.
That backline gives me a headache (the good kind) there's so many combinations!

Latest posts