Michalak Settling In

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Steve-o, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/default.asp?d...e&id=248975

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. danit

danit Guest

Steve,

would you tell us your opinion on Freddy's performances so far and your feeling about how he's handling the team at fh?

4. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Well with Muir's rotation policy Michalak hasn't had consistent game time, so an evaluation of his performances so far wouldn't be fair.

For a guy who has just joined a new team and a superior competition, I think he is doing just fine.

Creatively his been pretty quiet on the field, probably because he is still finding his feet.
    Defensively he has been a ROCK. Very impressive defence. I like players who tackle opponents by the legs, instead of going for a big hit on the upper body.
    And he knows when to tackle the ball in certain situations, e.g. the tackle on Grant against the Stormers.

So basically he's been solid but is still finding his feet.

(Very diplomatic response :p)

Well with Muir's rotation policy Michalak hasn't had consistent game time, so an evaluation of his performances so far wouldn't be fair.

For a guy who has just joined a new team and a superior competition, I think he is doing just fine.

Creatively his been pretty quiet on the field, probably because he is still finding his feet.
    Defensively he has been a ROCK. Very impressive defence. I like players who tackle opponents by the legs, instead of going for a big hit on the upper body.
    And he knows when to tackle the ball in certain situations, e.g. the tackle on Grant against the Stormers.

So basically he's been solid but is still finding his feet.

(Very diplomatic response :p)

5. Jimz

Jimz Guest

I reckon once michalak gets settled, he will tear up super 14!

6. Freddy is good don't get me wrong, but to me it seems strange to import a french international, stick him at fly half and not use him to kick at all.

When he chips the ball ahead into a gap and when he makes space the Sharks become very dangerous.. so y not let him take the place kicks or even then kicks for touch, yeah we've got a few other players who know how to use their boot but y not give him a chance to see what he can do..

7. poupouxx

poupouxx Guest

fred will return in france in order to play with the national team !

8. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Yeah, because it's not like he has been on the international scene for the last 5 years and hasn't taken plenty of shots at both domestic and international level or anything.

His goal kicking's like Spencers - inconsistent as f***.

9. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

An accurate if unnervingly brutal anaylsis.

10. Charles

Charles Guest

Yeah, because it's not like he has been on the international scene for the last 5 years and hasn't taken plenty of shots at both domestic and international level or anything.

His goal kicking's like Spencers - inconsistent as f***.
    [/b][/quote]

He used to be pretty accurate before 2004. He's just behind Wilko at the RWC 2003 with 103 points (18 conv 18 pen 2 tries 1 dg). But then the public started to blame him for not finding touch, having a weak boot and he lost his confidence. But the potential is there.

11. erwanseb

erwanseb Guest

Michalak kicking is technically brilliant but lacks length.

12. Charles

Charles Guest

I thought he had a good game against the Chiefs. The backline looked a little more settled, with Steyn coming at first receiver and Freddy on second phase ball, although it didn't show on the scoreboard, ironically. Maybe the coach is finding the effective way to use Steyn and Freddy. If the Sharks manage to scrape wins away, I say they have a shot at a finalist place. They just need to work out the direction of the game, and play in the good half of the pitch imo.

13. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

I agree with you Charles, the Sharks have been lacking direction this season.
    Loosing experienced players at key positions like hooker, flyhalf and fullback (Smit, James, and Monty) has definitely affected our decision making on the pitch.
    I also think Muir's squad rotation policy hasn't help consistency and continuity in our game play either.

Luckily we have a brilliant captain in Muller and bags of talent.

14. Charles

Charles Guest

Yeah, hopefully the pack is strong as ever (jacques Botes is a superb player, as Kankowski) which compensates for the sloppy backs.

My backline would be:
    9 Pienaar 10 Fred
    11 Pietersen 12 Steyn 13 Murray 14 Ndungane
    15 Terblanche

or
    9 Kockott 10 Freddy
    11 Pietersen 12 Barritt 13 Murray 14 Terblanche
    15 Steyn

15. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Your first line up is what we'll most likely use for most of the tournament, although Steyn showed some great running lines at 13 this past weekend. I'd also like to see Kockett get a start soon.
    That backline gives me a headache (the good kind) there's so many combinations!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!