• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mick Cleareys player of the decade...

So Pichot is to take credit for Argentina's success? He led the charge supposedly, while others like the eight forwards in front of him, the Comtepomi's, Hernandez, Corletto etc outside of him were all just bit players.

No question he was an excellent captain and a damned good scrumhalf, but the talent both infront and behind him on the pitch was the reason behind Argentina's success. He didnt create it, he was part of Argentina's golden age of rugby. For years teams feared the Argentinian pack and we always wondered what would happen if they found a few backs to go with them. In the last WC they did and I believe if they really backed themselves they could have won it. As it was they came very very close.

A good article, good to see a player like Pichot get the praise he deserves, and its even better to see him remain involved in Argentinian rugby. However he wasnt unique in his passion, presence, and other words that meant the same as these. Numerous players from the Southern Hemisphere had superior ability and still shared those qualities.

Again, good to remember an icon associated with that team, but lets not over do it.

well I'll put it down to those years he spent at Richmond surrounded by Scott Quinnell and Earl Va'a.

Off the pitch, the guy seems to have single handedly dragged Argentine rugby kicking and screaming into the modern age. I don't think anyone in 1999 would have said Argentina would have an elite performance center and a program fast tracking young gifted players into the best European and Super 14/15 teams they could find.

Thats what makes him a giant on the rugby stage I feel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 30 2009, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So Pichot is to take credit for Argentina's success? He led the charge supposedly, while others like the eight forwards in front of him, the Comtepomi's, Hernandez, Corletto etc outside of him were all just bit players.

No question he was an excellent captain and a damned good scrumhalf, but the talent both infront and behind him on the pitch was the reason behind Argentina's success. He didnt create it, he was part of Argentina's golden age of rugby. For years teams feared the Argentinian pack and we always wondered what would happen if they found a few backs to go with them. In the last WC they did and I believe if they really backed themselves they could have won it. As it was they came very very close.

A good article, good to see a player like Pichot get the praise he deserves, and its even better to see him remain involved in Argentinian rugby. However he wasnt unique in his passion, presence, and other words that meant the same as these. Numerous players from the Southern Hemisphere had superior ability and still shared those qualities.

Again, good to remember an icon associated with that team, but lets not over do it.[/b]
Thank you voice of reason.

Great player, big efforts off the field to help Argentina. Player of the decade? No.

Here we go...

Kiwi Biggot: ZOMG! <strike>McCaw</strike> <strike>Carter</strike> <strike>McCaw</strike> <strike>Carter</strike> McCARTER!
Paddy Flapping: O'ZOMG! O'Driscoll! No, O'Connell! No, O'Driscoll! No, O'Connell!
English Idiot: ZOMG! WILKANSSON!
Scotch Broth: Errrrrr... Patterson?
Welsh boggit: ZOMG STEPHEN JONEZ!
Welsh ****: ZOMG HENSON!
Frenchie: It does not matter, we are always ignored by all of you pigs... Meah!

Pichot? Meh. Good, but no Gregan. Either Drico or Carter for my money. In those two you have the player who scaled the highest heights and the most consistantly brilliant player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 29 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here we go...

Kiwi Biggot: ZOMG! <strike>McCaw</strike> <strike>Carter</strike> <strike>McCaw</strike> <strike>Carter</strike> McCARTER!
Paddy Flapping: O'ZOMG! O'Driscoll! No, O'Connell! No, O'Driscoll! No, O'Connell!
Frenchie: It does not matter, we are always ignored by all of you pigs... Meah![/b]

Lol! :lol:

Clearly there were better scrum halves this decade, and better players in other positions.

But if there's one player that the sport of Rugby Union would have missed most from the noughties if he'd not been alive? Pichot's the one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 29 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here we go...

Frenchie: It does not matter, we are always ignored by all of you pigs... Meah![/b]
Don't think I don't know you're talking about me!!!!!! <_< <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 30 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But if there's one player that the sport of Rugby Union would have missed most from the noughties if he'd not been alive? Pichot's the one.[/b]
You reckin?

I'm not arguing that hes a rugby legend, primarily in Argentina but people remember players with long hair. Dressing him up as having some impact on World Rugby is a bit daft.

He helped, along with a lot of other extremely talented players to bring Argentinian rugby a bit of success between 2005 and 2007 (if were being honest they beat Ireland (a lot), France (a good bit) and Scotland I think?) but outside of that what has he done that changed the world of rugby? He's had some influence on Argentinian rugby for sure, so give him an Argentinian of the decade award.

Players like McCaw have dominated all through the decade. He has won the player of the year twice (they got the years mixed up but its valid enough) and he is an icon throughout the world game. Carter is the only outhalf Ive ever seen who can singlehandedly destroy an opposition team just by mixing up kicking, running and passing. O'Driscoll is the best 13 we've ever seen in World Rugby. This is the kind of stuff I expect from a player of the decade.

If your impressed by Pichots ability as an administrator or a politician give him one of those awards. If your impressed with Argentina's achievements as a team give the team an award. This though seems to be an article/thread looking for a reason to give Pichot credit for everything Argentina achieved in that golden 3-4 year spell because he was captain, had long hair, and most importantly spoke English.

I just dont see it. Why not Loffreda? Why not Hernandez?

Latest posts