Mike Brewer appointed Sale Sharks head coach

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
I don't see a thread on this yet:

http://www.salesharks.com/news/re-organisation-of-sale-sharks-rugby-department

He didn't amount to much as Scotland forwards coach but his tenure in charge of the Leinster forwards brought them a harder edge. He's an astute judge of players with Stan Wright being just one who was plucked from obscurity due to Brewer's recommendation.

On the negative side, while he developed the Leinster pack into an abrasive unit, they played a very rigid style where pick and drives were the order of the day and there was no room for variation. He was also kicked out of Leinster due to him and the backs coach at the time, David Knox, hating each other which can't exactly have lead to a healthy atmosphere in the dressing room.

It's a shame to see Jason Robinsons to go, especially after a season like this. It wasn't going to be easy for any coach with the amount of players that left, let alone a first timer

Hopefully Brewer will do well for Sale, he's already given Kingsley Jones a kick up the arse, by basically saying "I'm the coach, i will be coaching how i want to coach", so he won't have a back seat driver over his shoulder all the time.
Brewer also said he intends to build a squad for the future/develop the academy more, which i'm happy about. I'd love to see Sale come on leaps and bounds next season, but i can't see it. Our academy has been producing some fine players recently, but two of the best were released/not offered full time contracts at the end of last season, whereas the owners son *cough cough* was offered one, despite being mediocre at best.

Latest posts