• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mike Pyke

Why the f*** would anyone want to switch from professional rugby union, playing all over the world for a lot more money, playing world cup rugby, to switching to play fumbleball gayFL which is supported by half of Australia?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ May 2 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Michael Anthony Patrick Pyke (born May 24, 1984 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) is an Australian rules footballer currently rookie listed with the Sydney Swans. Before switching to Australian Rules, Pyke was a professional Rugby Union player, who played for Canada's national side and French Top 14 squad US Montauban.[/b]
Biggest mind f*** of all time. Anyone else know about this?

[/b][/quote]

Someone posted a thread in this forum about it a while back, gotta say it is a strange move though. Guess he just wanted to try something new. He was a decent player from what I saw of him in the World Cup.

Ya, He got an intercept try against the All Blacks back in 2007 before the World Cup. From what I've heard, he got sick of being on the receiving end of countless ass-kickings from other nations (The straw that finally broke the camel's back for Pyke was a friendly between the NSMT & the French Barbarians in Victoria). He was also referred to Aussie rules by a friend who said that he had the skills to play.

Meh, not a bad player, but he's no Mike James, *****!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ May 2 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why the f*** would anyone want to switch from professional rugby union, playing all over the world for a lot more money, playing world cup rugby, to switching to play fumbleball gayFL which is supported by half of Australia?[/b]

LOL because he can repeatedly knock the ball forward without being penalised and his kicks don't go out on the full all the time because the field is wider :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swansea99 @ May 7 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ya, He got an intercept try against the All Blacks back in 2007 before the World Cup. From what I've heard, he got sick of being on the receiving end of countless ass-kickings from other nations (The straw that finally broke the camel's back for Pyke was a friendly between the NSMT & the French Barbarians in Victoria). He was also referred to Aussie rules by a friend who said that he had the skills to play.

Meh, not a bad player, but he's no Mike James, *****![/b]

You don't need any skills to play fumbleball

Pyke had become disillusioned with rugby union. He played for Edinburgh and Montauban but the problem in Europe is the work permit rules are becoming very restrictive to the point that its almost near impossible for a good Canadian rugby player to get signed by a top club. This is especially true when you have all the players from down south coming through. Why would a top team i Europe want to take a chance on a canuck when they can sign a south african, aussie, nz'er, or pacific islander. It is very difficult to break into a european professional league if you are from the USA and Canada.

Most of our top players could be and should be playing professionally in Europe but why take a chance on a Canadian when you can get a mercenary from down south or find another homegrown player.

The only reason Argentinian players are filling the European leagues is because a lot have dual citizenship from their parents.

He used to play for Edinburgh, and was quite a useful player. Wasn't all that surprised when he left though, given the competion for places was getting more intense, then he seemed to have a good spell then just totally fell off of the radar.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 7 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He used to play for Edinburgh, and was quite a useful player. Wasn't all that surprised when he left though, given the competion for places was getting more intense, then he seemed to have a good spell then just totally fell off of the radar.[/b]

yah he got hurt at Montauban and fell out of favour

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ May 7 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The only reason Argentinian players are filling the European leagues is because a lot have dual citizenship from their parents.[/b]
Not the fact that they are better players...?

you could say that about some Contepomi, Hernandez Argentina does produce a lot of real good rugby footballers but its a lot easier for them to get jobs because of their dual citizenship.

Two very good Canadian players Aaron Carpenter and Adam Kleeberger who can and should be playing professionally have not been able to because they can't get work permits

you can't deny the fact that it is very easy for Argentinians to get work in Europe as most have dual Italian-Argentinian citizenship

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ May 2 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why the f*** would anyone want to switch from professional rugby union, playing all over the world for a lot more money, playing world cup rugby, to switching to play fumbleball gayFL which is supported by half of Australia?[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ May 7 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swansea99 @ May 7 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Wow the ignorance is breathtaking nay brain melting.

You do need skill to play professional elite sport of which AFL is.Please get your head out of your arse next time you want to comment on AFL or dont at all.

Mike Pyke i saw him play a scratch match against port and it was nothing to write home about. He made his proper debut against Richmond last week and he did not bad very much held his own amongst people of whom have being playing footy since they where young considering. I think he will make a good ruckman and has a future in the AFL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ May 8 2009, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ May 2 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ May 7 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swansea99 @ May 7 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Wow the ignorance is breathtaking nay brain melting.

You do need skill to play professional elite sport of which AFL is.Please get your head out of your arse next time you want to comment on AFL or dont at all.

Mike Pyke i saw him play a scratch match against port and it was nothing to write home about. He made his proper debut against Richmond last week and he did not bad very much held his own amongst people of whom have being playing footy since they where young considering. I think he will make a good ruckman and has a future in the AFL.
[/b][/quote]

yes he has been brought in to basically contest ruck... only reason Swans took a chance on him was because he was already an elite athlete... I think his basketball and rugby skills will come in quite handy... I also hear nobody likes getting hit by him either

interesting cross-code move, i've never heard of a canadian playing aussie rules, i know there are a few former AFL players in the NFL...

as for the work permit thing - i've heard from a work friend of mine who's from Singapore that it's now harder to get into the U.K. even if you're from the Commonwealth (Canada, Singapore, etc.) and that it's much easier if you're from the EU than from a former colony.

Sport is not always about money, it's about sport. If you don't enjoy a sport, then find one you do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goranski @ May 7 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
interesting cross-code move, i've never heard of a canadian playing aussie rules, i know there are a few former AFL players in the NFL...

as for the work permit thing - i've heard from a work friend of mine who's from Singapore that it's now harder to get into the U.K. even if you're from the Commonwealth (Canada, Singapore, etc.) and that it's much easier if you're from the EU than from a former colony.[/b]

There's basically no difference between a national and EU citizen but for some specifc jobs.

Moreover there are the so called Kolpak countries from Africa (such as SA), West Indies and Pacific (Fiji, Samoa and Tonga) whose sportmen have the same status as EU citizens.

hes the first non irish foreigner to play aussie rules. I actually like the afl its a change of pace from what we have here

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toxicfiend @ Aug 5 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hes the first non irish foreigner to play aussie rules. I actually like the afl its a change of pace from what we have here[/b]

you should live here in melbourne for a while and you'll know why i love rugby....

15 out of 17 pages in the weekend sport section of the newspaper and dedicated to AFL, there's at least 3, possibly 4 AFL talk shows, regurgitating the same dribble week in week out.

real AFL was called VFL back in the day.

Latest posts