Millennium Magic to start 2011 Super League season

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Cardiff's Millennium Stadium will host all seven of the 2011 Super League season's opening fixtures.
The season will kick-off on the weekend of 12 and 13 February, with all the games being played under the stadium's closed roof.
The decision to start the season in Cardiff marks the return of the Magic Weekend to the Welsh capital after a two-year absence.
Edinburgh's Murrayfield Stadium has hosted the event during that time.
<!-- E SF -->However, attendances were down at this season's weekend in May, prompting the Rugby Football League to review the format.
And, following consultation with clubs and fans, they have chosen to take it back to Cardiff, which hosted the first two Magic Weekends in 2007 and 2008, where the ability to play under a roof means spectators will be able to watch in comfort.
Super League's director of events and projects, Sally Bolton, said: "The Millennium Stadium has hosted some memorable rugby league matches and I'm sure supporters of every club will not want to miss out on what promises to be a truly magical weekend.
"The stadium's closed roof means that fans can watch all seven games in comfort over what I'm sure will be two days that will prove to be the highlights of the 2011 sporting calendar.
"The clubs were very keen on continuing with Magic Weekend and much of the feedback we got from fans was that as much as they loved the event, they missed the Millennium Stadium.
"We have some very happy memories of the last two years at Murrayfield and would like to extend our thanks to the Scottish Rugby Union for their support and assistance.
"However we have listened to what the clubs and fans wanted and are looking forward to putting together a spectacular opening to the new season at Millennium Stadium next February."

Source BBC SPORT - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8912387.stm

This is great news, I can't wait for this... Magic weekend in Scotland didn't work and the Fans get what they want...

TRF MEETUP? ME THINKS YES!!!

I'm genuinely shocked about this. I thought for certain the Magic weekend had had it's day. Everything that had been coming out of the RFL seemed to suggest it was going to be the season opener at Old Trafford. I have to admit I reckon the idea has had it's day and I am massively opposed to it being derbies again, there was a reason that was dropped.

However, Cardiff is a great city and a great venue. I just worry that if the weather is bad, the RFL are going to be left very embarrassed indeed.

Sounds like a good weekend, depending on funds i'll probably head down

I just worry that if the weather is bad, the RFL are going to be left very embarrassed indeed.
How so?
Just shut the roof if it's raining, open it if it's not?

I'm genuinely shocked about this. I thought for certain the Magic weekend had had it's day. Everything that had been coming out of the RFL seemed to suggest it was going to be the season opener at Old Trafford. I have to admit I reckon the idea has had it's day and I am massively opposed to it being derbies again, there was a reason that was dropped.

However, Cardiff is a great city and a great venue. I just worry that if the weather is bad, the RFL are going to be left very embarrassed indeed.

The roof was closed that time I met you, the St Helens - Wigan game was amazing, rough closed and the atmosphere was rocking in there.

Murrayfield definitely didn't seem to work so it's a good thing that it's not being hosted in Edinburgh any more. Could a return to Cardiff be an attempt by the RFL to kickstart the sport in south Wales now that the Crusaders have effectively moved to Wrexham?

I don't mean weather for playing - I mean weather for getting there and the weekend. The last couple of winters have been particularly harsh.

There will be a welcome in the hill side ...

I'll be making a late decision on this because I'm not honestly sure I support the idea.

Cool news. If you are discernible enough you may be able to spot in my posts that I'm not the greatest fan of rugby league. However I went to MM in 2008 and thought it was class. Albeit, I did sink 12 pints during the matches and ended up getting laid at the end of the night... So a similar scenario this time around would get the thumbs up from me!!
I do like the sound of a TRF meet-up here as well!!

Albeit, I did sink 12 pints during the matches and ended up getting laid at the end of the night... So a similar scenario this time around would get the thumbs up from me!!
I hope these two aren't somehow linked...

I hope these two aren't somehow linked...
Well I was going to say a meet-up would not involve anyone getting to go home with me.

Unless we got Gav in as a Celebrity Guest Appearance!

Cool news. If you are discernible enough you may be able to spot in my posts that I'm not the greatest fan of rugby league. However I went to MM in 2008 and thought it was class. Albeit, I did sink 12 pints during the matches and ended up getting laid at the end of the night... So a similar scenario this time around would get the thumbs up from me!!

I didnt know Gavin Henson was a league fan?
:p

TRF league meetup? What a novel idea. Sounds likea wee bit of craic to be sure. How much do tickets to these kind of things generally run to? Gotta bear in mind that I'll be a very poor student come february but I'm sure it can be squeezed in.

I've never actually been to the MS and it's definitely on the list.

Oh yeah, I read abut that somewhere...

rohypnol-news-794378.jpg

It's decided then: Everyones staying at Cyrils gaff for the weekend
Ahhheyyhhaaahhooooohhheehehahahholdonnow!!!

Feic, I spent a tenner for a two-day ticket in 2008. Admittedly I didn't make the Sunday set of fixtures, but still a cracking price!

It's not dear. It's dirt cheap to be honest, and I get discount as I have a season ticket.

Excellent. Sounds like a plan Batman (I'm not Robin by the way, Robin sucks. I'm the mayor from the original series).

Robin is also dead.

Disclaimer: The Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum aside, I don't like Batman. I just know this because it happened whilst I was in college and my mate thought it was beyond hysterical.

Latest posts