• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Minister tells Springbok coach to 'sober up'

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Springbok rugby coach Peter de Villiers has been told to "sober up" by the South African Minister of Sport and Recreation Makhenkesi Stofile.

Stofile says that when De Villiers makes making press statements as he has done his words may come back to haunt him.

Stofile said that he liked De Villiers very much and knew him as a good rugby player from his playing days in Boland, but the Minister suggested that the more the Springbok coach opened his mouth and talked the more confused he gets.

De Villiers had been presenting himself lately as a spokesperson of the game of rugby.

"The role of the coach is to prepare the team," said Stofile.

"The role of the spokesperson is to represent the union."

Stofile pointed out that De Villiers would only be able to get away with making the statements he has done while the Springboks were still winning.

"When we are losing it will be a serious problem." he told the Daily News.

"He will be the first to be fired.
"Coaches get fired for teams not performing, not because they are not doing their job."

The Springboks start their TriNations campaign on the 25th of July against the All Blacks in Bloemfontein.

The last time they played the All Blacks was in round six of the 2008 TriNations in Cape Town and lost 0-19.[/b]
www.rugbyweek.co.za

Please continue making your silly statements PdV so that you can get fired :cheers:

"Crisis, what crisis, ja?"

pdvbarney.jpg

Why would the Sports minister have any way in PDV fired or not being fired? SA rugby really is in a bad place behind the scenes, at this rate I don't know if they will still be a powerhouse in 10-15 year time, where would they be without Smit and Matfield and PdV calling all the shots ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jul 7 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

pdvbarney.jpg
[/b]

PdV: "Boys, boys, hear me out! I just think this would be a great new team uniform for when your out and about on the evenings after the games. You'll have plenty of padding, so if you fall over drunk, or are attacked you'll still be okay. As an added bonus, the team will appear friendlier. What do you say?"

(Much muttering between the guys)

John Smit: "It's a no go for us, sorry Peter....Schalk says he'll have one though."

Steve's probably ****** that this is the first valid point Stofile has made in his entire political career...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 6 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 7 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makhenkesi 'motherf****g' Stofile is as big an idiot as P Divvy.[/b]

Maybe, but in this instance he makes a point surely?
[/b][/quote]

All of us (SA people) knows that Steve-o, but yes C A Iversen I also think he has a point about this, P Divvy's job is to coach the players and make sure that they are focused on the game ahead and not to sing his whining songs to the media :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 6 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 6 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 7 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makhenkesi 'motherf****g' Stofile is as big an idiot as P Divvy.[/b]

Maybe, but in this instance he makes a point surely?
[/b][/quote]

All of us (SA people) knows that Steve-o, but yes C A Iversen I also things he has a point about this, P Divvy's job is to coach the players and make sure that they are focused on the game ahead and not to sing his whining songs to the media :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vb3IMTJjzfo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vb3IMTJjzfo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

EDIT: actually this is a very good re-enactment of one of PdV's press conferences...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 6 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jul 7 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pdvbarney.jpg
[/b]

PdV: "Boys, boys, hear me out! I just think this would be a great new team uniform for when your out and about on the evenings after the games. You'll have plenty of padding, so if you fall over drunk, or are attacked you'll still be okay. As an added bonus, the team will appear friendlier. What do you say?"

(Much muttering between the guys)

John Smit: "It's a no go for us, sorry Peter....Schalk says he'll have one though."
[/b][/quote]

The Burger version of Prestwick's P Divvy Barney ...
pdvbarneyburger.jpg

*Note the eyes :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jul 6 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is Schalk Burger blind? :eek:[/b]

Well judging by the way he played in that second test, I guess so and dumb too :ph34r:

Edit:Actually it was P divvy's eyes that was taken out in the Barney costume, thats how I meant it :p

I don't know why, but I could imagine a pretty funny South Park version of PdV, very similar to their Saddam Hussein, with the whole popping head and voice, lol. I guess it's just the moustache.

Back to the topic...

I guess also (and hope strongly) if SA do poorly in the upcoming Tri-Nations comp that PdV might loose his job...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 7 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Back to the topic...

I guess also (and hope strongly) if SA do poorly in the upcoming Tri-Nations comp that PdV might loose his job...?[/b]

It's really just a countdown surely? He'd have to turn into a well-spoken, controlled and impressive coach for a long while to even have a chance. Is that going to happen?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 7 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 7 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back to the topic...

I guess also (and hope strongly) if SA do poorly in the upcoming Tri-Nations comp that PdV might loose his job...?[/b]

It's really just a countdown surely? He'd have to turn into a well-spoken, controlled and impressive coach for a long while to even have a chance. Is that going to happen?
[/b][/quote]

Not in this life time B) , PdV probably is a "good" coach as in to coach the players, I mean we beat NZ for the 1st time in how many years at the "House of Pain" (sorry to bring that up C A Iversen :p ) & won a Lions series with him in charge but other than that he's just a pain in the butt! :%#%#: :%#%#: :wall:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 7 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 7 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 7 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back to the topic...

[/b][/quote]

Not in this life time B) , PdV probably is a "good" coach as in to coach the players, I mean we beat NZ for the 1st time in how many years at the "House of Pain" (sorry to bring that up C A Iversen :p ) & won a Lions series with him in charge but other than that he's just a pain in the butt! :%#%#: :%#%#: :wall:
[/b][/quote]

I'm not trying to take all credit away from his coaching skills, but I've always noticed that for a while (even upto 2yrs max occasionally) the previous coaches effect is still felt within a team. I'm not sure how much of PdV's success can be attibuted to Jake White. If you remember for the first 2yrs of Mr White, South Africa struggled, but once he'd fully implemented things, well look at the results.

Yes in my mind the White man is the "White man for the job." :eek:

Or in other words, "Bring back Jake."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jul 6 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know why, but I could imagine a pretty funny South Park version of PdV, very similar to their Saddam Hussein, with the whole popping head and voice, lol. I guess it's just the moustache.[/b]
gallery_5897_117_19167.jpg

Latest posts