• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ML awash with rumours, intrigue...

P

Prestwick

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Ru...t-at.4912293.jp

Two shocking developments in recent days:

1. The Jocks are apparently set to veto the entry of Italy to the Magners League. They are also set on vetoing proposals to base qualification for Europe based on competitive rankings in the League.

2. David Moffett has been speaking with England's Premier Rugby on the issue of creating a breakaway Anglo-Welsh league formed from the four Welsh provinces and top English clubs like Bath, Leicester, Wasps and Gloucester. Premier Rugby for their part have strenuously denied such talks have taken place.

So, it seems as though the Italians are going to have the Venician rug pulled out from under them before they even get to kick off...

You spelt 'Venetian' wrong.

leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

LEAVE ENGLISH ALONE!

'k, on topic: the idea of an Anglo-Welsh tournament is exciting! It's not like we have one in place now or anything; not like only two teams actually take it seriously, right? - hello? RIGHT?!

I'm all for the Italians entering the Magners League... They're not learning anything from a billion point thrashings off of second string teams in the Heineken Cup; and their Super10 is clearly rubbish. Put them in the Magners and in five years they'll be causing sides like Ulster, Llanelli etc all sorts of problems like the international side in the 6N...

Oi! They're our Welsh friends!!! And they're staying put, and when the italians arrive we'll have ferraris and hot girls and be really lazy and build moterways that lead to villages!

leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

LEAVE MY MEME ALONE!

There is no way that the English clubs would allow an extra four teams and there is no way the RFU would allow that under the terms of the present agreement and the new agreement with the ND1 clubs!

Italy should play in the ML, they can play in the Magners League and if they did I would suspect the likes of Masi, the Bergamasco brothers and Sergio Parisse coming back to Italy for some ML action..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oi! They're our Welsh friends!!! And they're staying put[/b]
Says who?!
Oh, says us! SAYS US! :angry:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 26 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Italy should play in the ML, they can play in the Magners League and if they did I would suspect the likes of Masi, the Bergamasco brothers and Sergio Parisse coming back to Italy for some ML action..[/b]
It'd be interesting to see how the likes of Marcato et al fare in the tournament. I'm sure the Italian sides would take it dead seriously, regardless of the Heineken Cup. Would also be good to see Parisse play in the Magners. He's not winning anything with Paris - who are a side full of riches - so a return to his countrymen is reasonable for many reasons - if this goes ahead of course.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 26 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Says who?!

[/b][/quote]

I'm confused. You want to play rugby (or bashy runny game as it's known over there) with them English fellas. When you can have fun with your celtic friends and did I not mention Ferraris and hotties and moterways leading to nowhere?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 26 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Says who?!

[/b][/quote]

I'm confused. You want to play rugby (or bashy runny game as it's known over there) with them English fellas. When you can have fun with your celtic friends and did I not mention Ferraris and hotties and moterways leading to nowhere?
[/b][/quote]
Nope, playing against the English teams wouldn't accomplish much for us. We'd be too complacent going into internationals. :D
Plus, who'd want to throw away FERRARIS, HOT BABES and beer with our Celtic brethren? Not I!

well just playing devil's advocate here I can understand why the Scots would want to veto this, they'd be adding another couple of fixtures that would probably fail to attract the numbers they're even getting now which are pretty dismal even for the Glasgow Edinburgh fixtures, add to that the cost of 2 more trips per season to Italy which I doubt they'd be too pleased about either.

Mark McCafferty hasn't denied holding the meeting but says there's not much to read into it:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"The talk of an Anglo-Welsh league has been overblown. I was down at Swansea over the weekend and I had informal talks," he said.

"They said they have exactly the same issues with the irregularity of fixtures in the Magners League as we do in the Premiership. They go weeks on end without a home fixture.

"People talk about the Welsh clubs joining us all the time but I don't see that happening.

"The Magners League is a tripartite agreement between the Scots, Irish and Welsh. I don't see them leaving that as being feasible.

"It wouldn't be good for northern hemisphere rugby - it would weaken the situation in Scotland and Ireland.

"That's not something we want to do - we want to build up club rugby, not do the opposite.

"I would discount the idea of an Anglo-Welsh league as a possibility for the immediate to mid-term future."[/b]
http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,18259,3...4853002,00.html

I'm not quite so convinced. As the article in the Scotsman claims, it was David Moffett who met with him. Until I read Moffett was involved, I thought it was a nothing story. Moffett upon leaving his post as chief executive of the WRU was quoted by the BBC on his thoughts about the future of the game:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Despite his frustrations, Moffett says he leaves his post with three great memories - Wales' Grand Slam triumph, the successful management of the WRU's vast debt, and Saturday's 24-22 victory over Australia. [/b]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...nal/4477654.stm

I've highlighted the bit I find relevant. A couple of years back, Premier Rugby Ltd and the Top 14 clubs representative body criticised the ERC for not generating enough money from the tournament. They both wanted a seat in negotiating broadcasting rights. Perhaps, and this is where I'm guessing, McCafferty realises that bringing the Welsh clubs into the Premiership will force the IRFU and SRU to row in too - the Magners League won't be strong enough without the Welsh sides. Moffett clearly realises this too.

If Premier Rugby Ltd controls rugby in the British Isles, there will essentially only be two pro leagues in Europe - the Top 14 and the Premiership. Would this be the beginning of a European League, co-operated by Premier Rugby Ltd, the Top 14 and the ERC which is Moffett's goal? It would be a roundabout way of achieving his goal but Moffett also achieved his goal of 4 Welsh regions in a roundabout way.

The iRB won't allow an Anglo-Welsh League form unless they view it's for the good of European rugby. On it's own, without any Scottish, Irish or possibly Italian involvement, the plan will be vetoed.

As for the Scots vetoing Italian involvement in the ML, I think it's a bargaining chip. Their wish to keep HC qualification on a country by country basis will remain if they withdraw their opposition to Italian teams in the ML. If a couple of Italian teams bring added funding to the ML (above the cost of two extra games), we'll see new teams in the tournament next year.

well given that the Anglo Welsh cup was such a rip roaring success I don't think that Premier Rugby would be too keen to get into bed again with the Welsh sides.

i thought the Anglo Welsh was continuing next year? just in a different format, with ND1 and Welsh Premiership teams in on the act
it was something like the 1st tier competition would be the 4 Welsh Regions, Top 4 ND1 Sides and the 12 Premiership sides, then a second division with the other 8 ND1 sides playing with the Welsh Premiership Sides, with a Euro Challenge Cup place up for grabs for the winner.

would prefer the Italians to join the ML over a Anglo - Welsh League since the ML is a succesfull League which does have a big influence on the Heineken, and the Italians badly need a chance to improve on a wider basis, since this season the 2 Italian Teams got ripped to shreds by the Welsh, English and French sides (even if Treviso came close at Perpingan, and Biarritz struggled at Calvisano) once again. Would be interesting to see if one of the clubs would amange to come close to a play-off spot, since they're coming in next season.

I am so excited about the completion of the process of integrating Italy into the "adult" world of Rugby. So so very excited.

This has been long overdue, now to find a home for poor Argentina!

Wait until they have some money... <strike>The SH Nazis</strike> SANZAR will be all over them like a rash once again.

Latest posts