Modern Family

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
The American are good at a lot of things. Lawsuits. [strike]Rewriting[/strike] Changing history. Casting British actors to be the bad guy in Hollywood blockbusters. And so on.

Comedies however they're pretty rubbish at - Friends, Sinefield and 2 & 1/2 men being good examples.

Modern Family however is bloody brilliant.

Plus, as an added bonus, Julie Bowen & Sofia Vergara are hawt!

Discuss.

I like American Family, I liked the first 4 seasons of the US office, I like their fine selection of cartoons. They produce just as many good comedies as you Brits.

Yes, the women are pretty class too.

I must admit the bits I have seen are rather good... and they make me laugh...

How I Met Your Mother & The Big Bang Theory are both good efforts too.

I love the Big Bang Theory, Sheldon Cooper is a brilliant creation.

That said, I was on 4od earlier and I noticed Peep Show,The Inbetweeners, The IT crowd, 8 out of 10 cats and Father Ted in the first 20. Ye British aren't all that bad at the wit and humour.

The Inbetweeners has all the wit of a Ronan O'Gara backline move. It's crude, immature shite created for the chav genertion - Even Hale & Pace had more sophistication then that over-rated ********. It's like Shameless with the Gay jokes substituted for extra crudeness.

There hasn't been a decent sitcom to come out of the UK since Coupling or The Office (whichever came last).

'Gavin & Stacey'? STFU!

Even the panel shows -a traditional strength- are crap now (Mock the week & Nevermind the Buzzcocks have even gone down hill). Examples include "A league of their own", which is just "they think it's all over" for Wayne Rooney, 'out of 10 cats' isn't funny (mostly down to Jimmy Carr), 'Would I lie to you' is "call my bluff" for the stupid.

Have I got News for you & QI have been running for a million years but are still good, the only new-ish one of them is Argumental which entirely depends who the guests are - Sometimes is's hillarious, other times they'll have Russell Howard and that Scouse Lowlife on so it's unbarable.

The Inbetweeners has all the wit of a Ronan O'Gara backline move. It's crude, immature shite created for the chav genertion - Even Hale & Pace had more sophistication then that over-rated ********. It's like Shameless with the Gay jokes substituted for extra crudeness.

'Gavin & Stacey'? STFU!]
Wind up merchant!

No Wind-Up. If you laugh at those problems you probably go marching against the government (you see what I did there??)

"Hi-Larious" one liners I wonder how ling it too them to come up with in The Inbetweeners:

"Bus Wankers"
"Morning Benders, jump in the minge mobile"
"I'm gonna go find that yummy mummy who wants me to spunk on her tummy."
"I went to fart and instead, **** myself"
"Yeah, that's right, I've had 210 wanks and my cocks like a pepperami!!"

No doubt somebody just read that lot and ****** themselves laughing.

Gavin and Stacey is just plain ****. A complete waste of Rob Brydon.

There hasn't been a decent sitcom to come out of the UK since Coupling or The Office (whichever came last).

'Gavin & Stacey'? STFU!

Even the panel shows -a traditional strength- are crap now (Mock the week & Nevermind the Buzzcocks have even gone down hill). Examples include "A league of their own", which is just "they think it's all over" for Wayne Rooney, 'out of 10 cats' isn't funny (mostly down to Jimmy Carr), 'Would I lie to you' is "call my bluff" for the stupid.

Have I got News for you & QI have been running for a million years but are still good, the only new-ish one of them is Argumental which entirely depends who the guests are - Sometimes is's hillarious, other times they'll have Russell Howard and that Scouse Lowlife on so it's unbarable.

peep show.
the thick of it.
green wing.
the office.
extras.

leaving inbetweeners ut of it (which i find hilarious), just the 5 shows above have been on in the last years or so and are all funnier than any sitcom america's ever done...

nonetheless i shall now watch some modern family, see if the yanks can surprise me. and by surprise i mean not have a laughing track, not have every actor being beautiful, not have jokes based on weak sarcasm and prudish innuendo... we shall see.

EDIT: just realised i described how i met your mother right there...

Last edited:
The Office ran between 2001 & 2003. Like everything else Ricky Gervais does, wasn't actually funny. The American version obliterates it on like-for-like.

The rest there:

Peep Show - Mildly amusing but wouldn't make a special effort to watch it.
The thick of it - Ain't got a clue, never heard of it
Green Wing - Again mildly amusing, but a typical Channel 4 "comedy" - Thinks it's a lot cleverer and funnier then it really is.
Extras - Ricky Gervais.

Gervais has done 1 good programme: An Idiot Abroad. And that's mostly because he's not really in it.

American Office obliterates English?
I guess if you like your humour slapstick and childish...

The Office ran between 2001 & 2003. Like everything else Ricky Gervais does, wasn't actually funny. The American version obliterates it on like-for-like.

The rest there:

Peep Show - Mildly amusing but wouldn't make a special effort to watch it.
The thick of it - Ain't got a clue, never heard of it
Green Wing - Again mildly amusing, but a typical Channel 4 "comedy" - Thinks it's a lot cleverer and funnier then it really is.
Extras - Ricky Gervais.

Gervais has done 1 good programme: An Idiot Abroad. And that's mostly because he's not really in it.

LMAO, american office better? there is a case in point, they take one of our comedies and need to completely remake it for their sanitised market.

thick of it is the same. if you haven't seen it, get watching. armando ianucci's the man behind it, it's won numerous awards and is the best of any sitcom. kind of a 21st century yes! minister.

incidentally, the americans made their own pilot of the thick of it, of which ianucci said "i'm glad it flopped" considering in typical american fashion they cleaned it up and removed all the swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
American Office obliterates English?
I guess if you like your humour slapstick and childish...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5smqLBdHCg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5smqLBdHCg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sorry, how has nobody mentioned I'm Alan Partridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it's the greatest, and no-one dare question it :p

Last edited:
I just noticed I wrote The Office as one of the good ones. That should have been Red Dwarf.

So much for proof reading. :blush:

Latest posts