• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Modern Horror vs Classic Horror

dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Big E's 'scary movie' thread (and the comments therein) got me to thinking...

What do you enjoy the most - classic horror flicks (Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price), or the modern, often gorier, horror fare?

I've always preferred the classic horror genre, especially gothic horror, including older (pre-1970) Hammer films and EVERYthing Hitchcock. I can watch them over and over again - like comfort foods they are my 'comfort' films - but cannot bring myself to watch modern horror/thriller pictures at all.

So, here let's list some of our favorite scary movies - movies we can watch over and over and still enjoy. Also, share why you may prefer one genre (classic vs modern horror) over another.

Some of my favorites are:

The Tingler (Vincent Price)

House of Wax (Vincent Price)

The Mummy (Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee)

The Hound of the Baskervilles (just about every version, though I have a special fondness for the Basil Rathbone version. Also, I realize that this isn't a traditional 'horror' story, but in film it is presented that way).

I can just watch those films over and over and over, without ever tiring of them. Anyone else love the classic horror genre? Or do you prefer the modern stuff?

das

I like both.

I love Hammer films and Hitchcock, although I wouldn't really call his films horror.

Cushing's ...Baskervilles is one of my favorite Hammers.

I like both.

I love Hammer films and Hitchcock, although I wouldn't really call his films horror.

Cushing's ...Baskervilles is one of my favorite Hammers.

I also like Cushing's Baskervilles - I suppose I'm partial to Rathbone's version simply because it's the first I ever saw, while just a wee lass cuddled up with my mommy in bed, late at night when my dad was out working and we were all alone in the house. Good memories, that.

Hitchcock films were primarily suspense (and I LOVE suspense), but his later flicks, like Psycho (which is coming on tv RIGHT NOW! WOO!) and The Birds definitely fall under the horror genre, imho.

das

I prefer modern horror. I appreciate that classic horror was incredible for the time, but I watch horror to scare myself, and in that regard modern horror is significantly better.

That being said, I do enjoy seeing where horror came from, so The Cabinet of Dr Caligari ('That is my fiance!') and Nosferatu are both in my DVD shelf, along with the likes of Lugosi's Dracula, Freaks, Psycho, The Exorcist etc.

Generalising to a high degree, but:

Older movies have better stories put together by talented writers and visualised by the best directors of the time (Hitchcock, Kubrick, Polanski all made horrors, I wonder why so few of the modern greats do it?) but many of the stories have become far too conceptually dated/tame to scare modern audiences.

On the other hand, newer movies often struggle with incessant use of cliches and horror tropes, a lot of bad story-telling, being gimmicky, lots of under-developed characters without interests or motives, but can be conceptually scary for a modern audience.

I prefer the modern scene for those films that actually do get the story telling right. Which is rare, but worth it when it does happen. Films like 28 Days Later, Trollhunter, Rec, Let the Right One In, Blair Witch. And horror/comedy. Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Hot Fuzz, Zombieland.

@dasNdanger loved house of wax but have never been a big fan of hammer horror's, modern horrors don't do it for me too much special effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the genre at all. I can derive no entertainment from watching variations on the same theme (for example, a hockey-masked lunatic sequentially dispatching numerous teenagers/youths with gusto) repeated over and over to a fixed formula. I find it boring and repetitive and it fails to keep my attention.

The nearest thing to a horror movie I ever watched was "Alien" when it first came out in theatres. By the time I realised it was a horror film in disguise, I was hooked.

Last edited:
Don't like the genre at all. I can derive no entertainment from watching variations on the same theme (for example, a hockey-masked lunatic sequentially dispatching numerous teenagers/youths with gusto) repeated over and over to a fixed formula. I find it boring and repetitive and it fails to keep my attention.

The nearest thing to a horror movie I ever watched was "Alien" when it first came out in theatres. By the time I realised it was a horror film in disguise, I was hooked.

One can apply that to anything they dislike. I can't stand superhero or action movies, because I find them repetitive.
Most horror films we see out there are terrible (hockey mask trope, etc) but I really enjoy the slower ones, which rely more on atmosphere and pacing. Makes the whole thing eerie, rather than shocking you once when a lad with a saw jumps out.

I prefer modern horror. I appreciate that classic horror was incredible for the time, but I watch horror to scare myself, and in that regard modern horror is significantly better.

That being said, I do enjoy seeing where horror came from, so The Cabinet of Dr Caligari ('That is my fiance!') and Nosferatu are both in my DVD shelf, along with the likes of Lugosi's Dracula, Freaks, Psycho, The Exorcist etc.

I used to like to be scared when I was younger, but as I've aged I've found I prefer the comfort of the familiar. Not sure if it's just me, or if it happens to most people as they get older (same thing happened to my mom, so maybe it's a woman thing).

Generalising to a high degree, but:

Older movies have better stories put together by talented writers and visualised by the best directors of the time (Hitchcock, Kubrick, Polanski all made horrors, I wonder why so few of the modern greats do it?) but many of the stories have become far too conceptually dated/tame to scare modern audiences.

On the other hand, newer movies often struggle with incessant use of cliches and horror tropes, a lot of bad story-telling, being gimmicky, lots of under-developed characters without interests or motives, but can be conceptually scary for a modern audience.

I prefer the modern scene for those films that actually do get the story telling right. Which is rare, but worth it when it does happen. Films like 28 Days Later, Trollhunter, Rec, Let the Right One In, Blair Witch. And horror/comedy. Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Hot Fuzz, Zombieland.

Firstly, I totally love Hot Fuzz, but wouldn't classify that as 'horror'. It's one of my favorite movies of all time so you get extra points for mentioning it! ;)

Secondly, what I like about the classic horror is that it sheds light on the origins of the genre. When you see the film that 'did it first' you can come to appreciate it more than the modern copycats, even if those newer flicks are scarier. I guess it boils down to this - do you watch simply to be scared, or do you watch because of an appreciation for the filmmaking itself. The difference between guzzling a bottle of cheap booze or sipping a glass of expensive wine. ;)

Thirdly, I think the big difference between classic and modern horror is that classic horror relied on suspense and the viewer's imagination, while modern horror has become very graphic and relies more on the element of surprise. Hitchcock summed it up well:
Alfred Hitchcock said:
There is a distinct difference between "suspense" and "surprise," and yet many pictures continually confuse the two. I'll explain what I mean.

We are now having a very innocent little chat. Let's suppose that there is a bomb underneath this table between us. Nothing happens, and then all of a sudden, "Boom!" There is an explosion. The public is surprised, but prior to this surprise, it has seen an absolutely ordinary scene, of no special consequence. Now, let us take a suspense situation. The bomb is underneath the table and the public knows it, probably because they have seen the anarchist place it there. The public is aware the bomb is going to explode at one o'clock and there is a clock in the decor. The public can see that it is a quarter to one. In these conditions, the same innocuous conversation becomes fascinating because the public is participating in the scene. The audience is longing to warn the characters on the screen: "You shouldn't be talking about such trivial matters. There is a bomb beneath you and it is about to explode!"

In the first case we have given the public fifteen seconds of surprise at the moment of the explosion. In the second we have provided them with fifteen minutes of suspense. The conclusion is that whenever possible the public must be informed. Except when the surprise is a twist, that is, when the unexpected ending is, in itself, the highlight of the story.

I guess I prefer the suspense and off-screen violence because it allows me to decide what happens, while the shock value of modern horror tends to leave me more traumatized than entertained. :p

@dasNdanger loved house of wax but have never been a big fan of hammer horror's, modern horrors don't do it for me too much special effects.

I like the older Hammer flicks because many had a cheesy/campy element to them that was in and of itself entertaining, outside of the fright effect or even the actual story. Sometimes it was bad special effects, or cliche dialogue - whatever it was I've always enjoyed it better than the more realistic horror fare. And classic gothic horror - with frightened ladies in long, flowing gowns and dense fog and long shadows - has always delighted me. :)

Have you watched any classic horror (from the 1930s-1960s)? While there are some cliches, there are also some very interesting stories, but they are often NOT for the instant gratification crowd. The story has to unfold, be allowed to unfold. I will suggest two films, one that is considered horror/thriller, and one that is not, and both involving carnie life. Freaks (1932), and the film noir flick, Nightmare Alley (1947). The latter, despite not being a horror flick, will haunt you for years to come (while the ending for the film was altered to appeal to the audiences of the day, it still can trouble your thoughts... ).

One can apply that to anything they dislike. I can't stand superhero or action movies, because I find them repetitive.

Most horror films we see out there are terrible (hockey mask trope, etc) but I really enjoy the slower ones, which rely more on atmosphere and pacing. Makes the whole thing eerie, rather than shocking you once when a lad with a saw jumps out.

In reading up on autism I learned that many autistic children love to watch the same sort of show/movie (or even the same exact movie) over and over again. The reason is that they find the familiar themes and tropes comforting, just like a good friend. I totally get this because that's why I enjoy the same style of horror flick, or mystery movie, or action film. Not suggesting I'm autistic, lol, but that I can really relate to liking a repetitive theme or style or formula. I don't like to be shocked or taken out (or, too far out) of my comfort zone.

Which makes me wonder (again) if this is a woman thing, an age thing, or just a 'me' thing. Do guys like being taken out of their comfort zone more than women?

Is modern 2000 onwards?

I usually consider classic to be pre-1970 and modern to be post-1970. It was around then (or the mid-60s) that horror changed and went from relying primarily on suspense to becoming more shocking and graphic.

das

Last edited:
There's a few ***les here I havn't heard of. I'll have to check them out as it seems to me most of the people who posted here appreciate the same aspects of a good horror movie that I do; atmosphere, pace, some semblance of a story or concept. Thanks guys, keep it up if you don't mind. Always good to try new things even if they don't always live up to one's expectations.

If I can put together a short list of movies I like that I see as falling in or tottering on the edge of belonging to 'Horror' as a genre;

Silence of the lambs (it's exponents are also very enjoyable IMO)
Prometheus
Alien (the entire series of which I suppose Prometheus is a part)
Shadow of the vampire
Solaris
Brotherhood of the wolf
Dawn of the dead
2001; A space oddysey
Everything Kubrick
Erm, I'll have to think a bit I suppose

A horror movie I felt which could have been fantastic if they didn't go too far at the end is Event horizon. I think it is a fantastic hooror film if you watch the first half an hour and then turn it off and let your imagination do the rest. Thinking about it I like sci-fi based horror as opposed to something like 'the birds' though even if I think it is a well crafted piece of cinema for it's time doesn't catch my fancy at all; I mean, people seriously being threatened by birds?

Last edited:
don't worry das, I've been a same-movie-watching autistic nut myself my entire life but I ain't crazy. Just something about watch..repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, kill the dog, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...that makes me hungry. Or whatever it is we were discussing there.

Well they both have good n bad. Classic horror does usually suck though. But then again modern horror SUCKS ASSSSS also...I don't want to get into discussions about the quality of what I'm about to criticize, but the Exorcist was always tremendously overhyped and even more overrated. It's perfectly in line with the tendencies of the times during that 70's supernatural trend, and it's the story of a chick who's possessed and a couple of dudes who try to make her unpossessed.....Carpenter's stuff is the most overrated stuff ever: the Fog, what a fkng, steaming pile of cock. Unbelievable. More unbelievable: ppl calling it a masterpiece, that's just inexpressibly mind-boggling. Or fkn Halloween, what a piece of shiiit...so there really needs to be more distinction when talking about "old" and "new" really. Murnau was one of the most brilliant minds and he was a 20's director and Max Schreck as Nosferatu still is one of the scariest figures I've ever seen on a screen and those guys back then didn't have the stuff those 70's assholes had, ffs they didn't have color or sound (!!!). 50's 60's had Hitchcock notably, good stuff.
Then again the 70's did have Jaws, Alien, the Wicker Man (original British production with Christopher Lee - NOT THE NIC CAGE ONE), The Omen (one of the best ever),
Other bad ***les: the Brood, or a film like Tourist Trap was fun but so fkng over-the-top and cheesy. The 70's really weren't great to horror..

The 80's are a better decade than those 70's...The Thing (Carpenter's best ever, one of his rare good ones), The Fly, Aliens, Predator, the Evil Dead and its completely warped comedy-horror style along with the Gremlins or Critters in that tongue-in-cheek style, or Chucky, Wes Craven and the Freddy Kruger franchise (first 2, maybe 3 were really good). Stuart Gordon's stuff like Reanimator. My personal favorite, Hellraiser (I and II, Clive Barker WHAT a mind...)...

90's have some really good ones and a much more credible, less cheesy setup than the 70's. It's also the start of the modern slashers like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream...
2000's had some good ones, but I'll skip to today, the 2010's, and say the obvious thing. The guys are running out of ideas and it's all too rare to find a really good horror from start to finish. There'll be good elements here and there but then never a good movie on the whole. They're really good at catching your attention early and making you feel it's going to rule, but then it borrows from various sources very thickly and sucks...like, Insidious could've been a fkng masterpiece, but it ended being just a pretty good horror.

Last edited:
Humans vs birds YEAH

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually hosting a small horror movie party tonight to celebrate Halloween, funnily enough.

Struggling to pick a second movie to watch - I want something enjoyable that the others haven't seen yet. Already on the menu is 'You're Next', which looks quite promising.

In terms of modern day horrors which are enjoyable, here are my top ten:

1 Drag Me to Hell
2 The Descent
3 The Mist
4 The Cabin In The Woods (more a horror that is designed to be funny)
5 30 Days of Night
6 The Strangers
7 28 Days Later
8 Eden Lake (incredibly unnerving, though not really downright scary)
9 Let Me In (I actually prefer it to Let The Right One In)
10 Saw

Struggling to pick a second movie to watch - I want something enjoyable that the others haven't seen yet. Already on the menu is 'You're Next', which looks quite promising.

Have you seen Trick 'r Treat?

House of the Devil might be a good shout for something people haven't seen too - particularly if you're a fan of 80's slow-burn horrors, which it is basically an homage to.
House of 1000 Corpses or The Devil's Rejects?

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is actually pretty damn good, as is Dead Snow - although both are fairly comedic, particularly the former.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. That was funny as fk, first time around at least. They all say Drag me To Hell was awesome. Never gathered the patience to watch it...cool ?

Have you seen Trick 'r Treat?

House of the Devil might be a good shout for something people haven't seen too - particularly if you're a fan of 80's slow-burn horrors, which it is basically an homage to.
House of 1000 Corpses or The Devil's Rejects?

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is actually pretty damn good, as is Dead Snow - although both are fairly comedic, particularly the former.

Trick 'r Treat I actually wasn't a huge fan of, though that's possibly because my girlfriend was talking the whole way through ;) It probably warrants another watch at some point but unfortunately she will be there tonight as well!

I did really enjoy Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, definitely one of my top horror-comedies.

House of 1000 Corpses I enjoyed, though I don't know if the sequel is worth watching :p Regardless I get the feeling the watchers tonight won't... appreciate 1000 Corpses.

I should probably add to my list the likes of 1408, [REC]/Quarantine, The Uninvited, Rest Stop, Otis and Cry Wolf, which are all very enjoyable for different reasons. I'm actually tempted to run with The Uninvited tonight because I don't think anyone else has seen it... I haven't seen the original Korean film though, A Tale of Two Sisters. I have got House of the Devil on my computer which is also an option.

I seem to remember House of the Devil getting fairly mixed reviews, I enjoyed it a lot - it really nailed the 80's vibe, but some might find it a bit... dry.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. That was funny as fk, first time around at least. They all say Drag me To Hell was awesome. Never gathered the patience to watch it...cool ?

Drag me To Hell is great.

Have you seen Evil Dead or Evil Dead 2? They are both done by the same director - I reckon you would enjoy them quite a bit... they are ****ing mental.

Last edited:

Latest posts