• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mods for PS2

F

Fa'atau82

Hey guys

I usually only play EA rugby on PC, but after reading the success of the Ps2 roster experiment by Samoan Stallion and co, it got me thinking.. what else can be done?

The action replay max evo, which i intend to get for my Ps2 can unlock features in games and you can alter parts of the game as long as you can find a code for it. This could open up the game in many ways and might be worth an exploration.

I assume that the Ps2 version of Rugby 08 can be updated with graphics and basic coding, like MUP as the game must store the default files and we'd need to save over them.

I guess though that might involve a making an updated cd-dvd 'copy' of the game which would require a chipped/modded Ps2 to run it.

Has anyone gone further with this type of thing and if so how'd it go?

What i need to know ideally is what files appear on a rugby 08 Ps2 disc if you put it into your PC? If it has something similar to the PC setup, (i.e root directory) then MUP, or other mods could be added.

My Ps2 Rugby 08's a pirated version so would it still have the same files as an original?

you might find this useful.

from another forum to play svr2008 modded.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Kinda.

If it's chipped then you can burn the dvd, put it in and play the game straight away.

If it's not chipped, you can buy a dvd called Swap Magic that comes with a Slide Card.
Using this you can load Swap Magic and then swap the Swap Magic dvd with your burnt copy of the game and it will play.

http://www.swapmagic3.com/[/b]

You'd have to be really careful you didn't make a mistake and have to back-up... That could be a potential disaster.

I tell you what, i'll chip my ps2 aand you can all come round my house. Bring beer/alcohol/food.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Aug 10 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey guys

I usually only play EA rugby on PC, but after reading the success of the Ps2 roster experiment by Samoan Stallion and co, it got me thinking.. what else can be done?

The action replay max evo, which i intend to get for my Ps2 can unlock features in games and you can alter parts of the game as long as you can find a code for it. This could open up the game in many ways and might be worth an exploration.

I assume that the Ps2 version of Rugby 08 can be updated with graphics and basic coding, like MUP as the game must store the default files and we'd need to save over them.

I guess though that might involve a making an updated cd-dvd 'copy' of the game which would require a chipped/modded Ps2 to run it.

Has anyone gone further with this type of thing and if so how'd it go?

What i need to know ideally is what files appear on a rugby 08 Ps2 disc if you put it into your PC? If it has something similar to the PC setup, (i.e root directory) then MUP, or other mods could be added.[/b]

Hey yo I wrote this in the ps2 roster section my bad:

Hey Fa'atau82 any luck with updating the ps2 version? Ive copied my ps2 rugby08 onto pc then burnt the iso on to dvd-rw which works with a swap magic dvd. When I open up the rugby08 iso and click the 'data' folder I can see that data.gob file.

Is it possible to update this file with all the pc mods then burn a whole new iso on to dvd to run on ps2?

Does this make sense?

Fa man

I'm not sure what the pc version looks like but the ps2 iso has 3 folders and two files:

-'IOP' (inside: .IRX files, .IMG file)
-'DATA' (inside: 'VIDEO', 'MOTION' folders, 'DATA.GOB' file)
-'AUDIO' (inside: .BIG files, .EVT file, .DAT file)

-SYSTEM.CNF file
-SLES_548. 10 file

Do they look similar?

Instead of fsh files, it has ssh files. They are the same, i think i just have to rename them. I added some kits but couldn't get the disc to load. I will try it again when i am bearer to finishing MUP.

**Update**

Basically, to get the disc to work i have looked up swap magic and it is a very good way to play copied discs, but you have to buy it. So i'd have to buy a copy, try it, see if it worked (which i'm certain it would, file for file) and assuming it worked then the problem is how do i go about the disc?

I'd have to put the files on the net and that will take some doing just to host it, and then people would have to burn a disc themselves to get it to work, and also buy swap magic. No doubt i'd get lots of comeback on it with people saying i have messed up their console/pc/life, which i just don't need. And that is without the roster, which isa whole seperate thing.

So i think that MUP will be PC-only, and if anyone wanted to do a conversion then be my guest. It's at no risk to me. All you have to do is have a copy of the game and a pc, extract the disc files and folders from the ps2 disc.. you can use biggui to put the files in the ps2 data.gob, then copy the whole lot to a new dvd disc and get the copy to run by using swap magic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Oct 16 2008, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Instead of fsh files, it has ssh files. They are the same, i think i just have to rename them. I added some kits but couldn't get the disc to load. I will try it again when i am bearer to finishing MUP.[/b]

Hey so are these ssh files located in that data.gob file? Total newb aye also what is this MUP?

Again newb

Just opened the data.gob file with BigGui and yes it is all ssh files so will go through the process of renaming. (which looks time consuming).

Will holla with an update if I can get it to work.

Peace

MUP is basically the game, but with a full licensed graphics and roster update.

if only you could just copy .big files and .fsh files onto the ps2 rom. how convenient would that be

but life isn't as fair as that :wah:

ah well <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savundra92 @ Oct 28 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
if only you could just copy .big files and .fsh files onto the ps2 rom. how convenient would that be

but life isn't as fair as that :wah:

ah well <_<[/b]

Hey,

I used all edited files from PC Rugby 08 and tried to import them into the PS2 Data.Gob file. (I changed the file extensions of the .fsh files to .ssh for PS2). All imported 100%. I then opened the PS2 Rugby08 ISO file, imported the new Data.GOB file into the ISO and burned to disk using Alcohol 120.

However, the disk wouldnt load. I am using Swap Magic 3.8

It has to be possible, as all the files in the Data.GOB are the same as the PC Data.GOB files (Besides the .fsh files on PC which are .ssh on the PS2)

what is the correct way to recreate the ISO file once files have been editied?? Is there a specific way that the ISO must be created inorder for it to be read by the PS2?

I have managed to edit the tournament fixtures files and edit teams in the six nations though, and the game works.

We need software to be able to edit the .ssh files. I cant find any software to open or edit those files.

Fa'atau says: Use a fsh editor. The only way it will definitely work is if you extract the files from the data.gob and they will be named .ssh and so as they are the same as .fsh files if you add it back in, there isn't a reason why it won't work, apart from some kind of checksum type thing.

how do you open the ps2 data gob? do you just load the cd on pc and open it with biggui?

Latest posts