• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moment of the tournament?

S

stormmaster1

What was the best or most defining moment of the tournament. For me there were several: Balshaws charged down kick for Wales' winning try, Williams' match winner in Dublin, Scotland outscrapping England in the rain AGAIN, to name but a few. But for me, i think the defining moment came early on, just before half time in the Wales-England match.

Wales were on the rocks, England were on top, and eventually crossed the try line again. Unfortunately, Bennet's arm was under the ball, and the try wasn't given. This is what was new for the eventual grand slam champions. The grit, determination and tenacity to scrap in defence, to deny the opposition at every opportunity. Previously Wales would have folded. Instead, they changed their greatest weakness into their greatest strength through a mixture of passion, pride and no little skill. That moment for me, was the first of many similar episodes where the new-found edge kept Wales' dreams alive.

Yeah, a lot of turning points for Wales in that England match.

But the play of the tournament was today Wales-France, scrum against the head on 65 minutes - a real "**** you" moment.

Positive MoT: M.Williams' try versus France, perfect ending
Negative MoT: Canale dropping the ball 3x
Funny MoT: Parisse kicking an up and under

By nation:

Wales: Shane Williams comfortably slotting in at scrum-half
France: The Heymans/Clerc try (first one I believe)
England: Cipriani break
Scotland: The Hogg try
Italy: Marcato drop-goal
Ireland: The Kearney try

Phillips try saving tackle on horgan. If horgan had scored Wales would of been 13-0 down and game over more or less, wed of never clawed that back.

Yeah, a lot of turning points for Wales in that England match.

But the play of the tournament was today Wales-France, scrum against the head on 65 minutes - a real "**** you" moment.
[/b]

Agreed, that scrum was when you knew Wales had it in the bag.

The 10 mins after we went down to 14 men at Dublin was the moment for me. In the past that would have been game over, this time we controlled the game brilliantly and didn't let them have the ball.

I think Nick Mallet's anger when an Italian player dropped the ball and then his teary-eyed hugging of his players when they won was also good.

Funny MoT: Parisse kicking an up and under
[/b]

:cheers:
Definitely a strange sight :p

Italy: Marcato drop-goal
[/b]

Agree completely. Marcato haven't been flawless in his position that day or during the tournament, yesterday he really made the sweetest note of the last 6N for us Azzurri.

Shane Williams' play at scrum half against Ireland after Phillips was sent off, and his try that sealed the win for us moments after.

When Dan Parks hit himself in the face from his own up and under...
[/b]
I bet you could think of five Iain Balshaw moments that deserve a mention over that. :bleh!:

No no, that only shows how crap Iain Balshaw is.

It takes a special kind of mediocrity to kick the ball high up and let it land on your face...

Phillips try saving tackle on horgan. If horgan had scored Wales would of been 13-0 down and game over more or less, wed of never clawed that back. [/b]

Same sort of play as Bennet's arm vs England. another great example of Wales' defence keeping them in a match where conceding the try could have been game over.

No no, that only shows how crap Iain Balshaw is.

It takes a special kind of mediocrity to kick the ball high up and let it land on your face...
[/b]

Ok, i'll try and hook you up with big Dan :lol:

The Moment of the Tournament was when Shane Williams scored an outstanding try against Ireland. That solo effort was truly remarkable.
Also in these match he played for some minutes (because of the Phillips' Yellow Card) as scrum half. AMAZING SHANE !!!

The 10 min at the beginning of the second half v Ireland where Wales were down to 14 men. Summed up how mutch Wales has transformed under Gatland & Edwards.

_44478318_shane_horgan_get203c.jpg

Another moment was Shane Williams' 'Try' v Scotland. I know it wasn't actually a try, but it was literally mm away, and no matter because it was one of the best pices of finishing I've ever seen! Probably showed almost all of Shanes immence skill in one movement, sheer change of speed, unbelievable ability to beat a man and remarkable balance on his feet.

As Justin Marshall said on Sunday's Scrum V programme, he's the best player he's ever seen on his feet.

Latest posts