• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moments of Merit

B

BigTen

Can I suggest an alternative to the hall of fame.

Rather than debating whether a player should be inducted into the hall of fame maybe we could just talk about players and a particular moment that they had that was memorable. This could be an example of when they played an awesome game, or maybe did something off the field that deserves merit.

Posters could write up a quick summary of what happened and it wouldn't involve huge discussion.

It would also be a chance to learn about players that we previously did not know much about.

Good idea. But rather than have it as an alternative, we could have a thread in there for the sole purpose to discuss things like that. We would still use the Hall of Fame, but having a thread like that would be very good.

even though i dont want to say it i would put gregans tackle on jeff wilson in the corner to knowck the ball out as a moment of fame :)

but who am i to judge?

Maybe have it in the Hall of Fame. Have one Hall for Players and one hall for History defining moments, which could also include things like Rugby turning pro and the war with the World Rugby Corp.

Possibly with links to videos of key events if they can be found?

Tries, tackles etc...

I believe that this section should be more about when a player did something above and beyond what was required or expected of them rather than just a tackle (in Gregan's case) or a particularly good try (think Jonah v England '95).

What I was thinking about was Norm Hewitt's effort in the dying moments of the '01 NPC final. For those that do not know - Wellington's front row subs had been used and as captain Hewitt knew that he had no choice but to play on with a broken arm. It was an amazing display of courage by the man and just showed how much heart and mana he has. It was a definite moment of merit. Above and beyond what was expected of him.

^great dancer too

norm hewitt is a legend,true maori warrior indeed

another great moment in our games history and one the greatest acts of sportsmanship in any sports history was in the test season of 2003 where wales played new zealand in hamilton

At which Welsh number 8 Colin Charvis was hit in a punishing tackle at the shoulders of All Blacks number 6,Jerry Collins.Colin Charvis was left unconscience as play continued on,where the All Blacks centre Tana Umaga stayed by an unconcious Colin,pulled his mouthguard out and put him on his side incase of swallowing his own tongue.At which point trainers arrived to aid Charvis and follow up on Umagas actions.

he didnt have to,play continued..and i remember clearly watching the replay in slowmotion where jerry smashed him..and umaga cheered and applauded the great hit as team mates do...but he saw the aftermath of the tackle and an opposing player wasnt doing so well..so he used(which shud be in any sport) common sense and aided his rival to safety

goodwill...feckin great will...thousands of kids in nz and wales saw that..and got a better understanding on 'sportsmanship'

great stuff tana!..legend you are

This has the potential to revisit some famous moments, like Jonah scoring a last minute try v Australia to sneak a high scoring win, Zinzan Brooke drop kicking a goal in SA, Joel Stransky's kiwi heartbreaking droppie in 95 WC...

I think dobrien7 should go in the hall of fame for the amount of times he has blown out his knees in games of rugby that takes a legend to keep making come backs to footy LOL

Sorry dude i had to say something about the knee LOL

Haha I'd get ****** off at you but you're right... 13 dislocations, 2 op's and a reconstruction and still counting...

One player that stands out in my mind that deserves to go in this is

The famous all black Keith Murdoch

For that flight overseas to play rugby and drunk all those beers on that flight 48 cans i think

I think that it is abhorent that anyone could even think of nominating Keith Murdoch for a Moment of Merit.

At the very least Candyman, you could do a little bit of research on Murdoch or write a compelling article on why he deserves it.

I personally think that Murdoch was treated very poorly by the New Zealand rugby authorities, or specifically by team manager Ernie Todd. Todd, under pressure from the British unions decided to send Murdoch home after an ugly incident at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff.

However this is tempered somewhat by Murdoch's refusal to ever return to New Zealand. He departed the flight home from the UK in Australia and has lived there ever since.

I feel that Murdoch was not "man enough" to face up to the music and took the easy way out. He was a talented rugby player and would have no doubt been able to add to this three international appearances for the All Blacks had he come back to New Zealand.

I don't think drinking loads of beer and having your international rugby career cut-short due to ill-discipline should mention a moment of merit.

Originally posted by Candyman@May 4 2006, 04:25 PM
One player that stands out in my mind that deserves to go in this is

The famous all black Keith Murdoch

For that flight overseas to play rugby and drunk all those beers on that flight 48 cans i think
David Boon>Keith Murdock

I think that it is abhorent that anyone could even think of nominating Keith Murdoch for a Moment of Merit.

At the very least Candyman, you could do a little bit of research on Murdoch or write a compelling article on why he deserves it.

I personally think that Murdoch was treated very poorly by the New Zealand rugby authorities, or specifically by team manager Ernie Todd. Todd, under pressure from the British unions decided to send Murdoch home after an ugly incident at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff.

However this is tempered somewhat by Murdoch's refusal to ever return to New Zealand. He departed the flight home from the UK in Australia and has lived there ever since.

I feel that Murdoch was not "man enough" to face up to the music and took the easy way out. He was a talented rugby player and would have no doubt been able to add to this three international appearances for the All Blacks had he come back to New Zealand.

I don't think drinking loads of beer and having your international rugby career cut-short due to ill-discipline should mention a moment of merit. [/b]

Relax, i'm pretty sure it was just a joke

Thanks Truth it was a bit of a joke i didn't realise it would upset someone like that

I just thought that it was a good effort on drinking all those beers i don't think anyone has broken his record on a flight like that :D

48 beers on a plane is pretty legendary. [/b]

Your not wrong...... fine effort that.

David "Boony" Boon holds the world record of 52 beers on a flight from OZ to England :bravo: ...... thats not including the 3 he had on the short stop-over in Singapore or the multiple tinnies he had after he got off the plane before passing out for 36 hours.

He went on to score over 1500 runs on that Ashes tour at an average of over 70.

Boony, a true sporting legend.

boonbeer3.jpg
boonbeer.jpg

He didn't get that gut from playing hacky sack.

Latest posts