Moody Retires from all forms of Rugby

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
I am Gutted just heard the news. I feel sorry for him as a player.

[h=1]Lewis Moody retires from rugby union with immediate effect[/h]
Former England captain and Bath flanker Lewis Moody has retired from rugby union with immediate effect.
Moody, 33, who ended his international career after the 2011 World Cup, had shoulder surgery in December.
"Totally gutted I have had to take the decision to retire from all forms of rugby," Moody wrote on his Twitter page. "I will truly miss it."
He added: "I have been very privileged to have played in some incredible teams and with some phenomenal players."
Moody lifted two Heineken Cups and seven Premiership ***les during a 14 year-spell with Leicester, before joining Bath in March 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17272007

Can't believe this hasn't had more coverage on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a thread floating around for this too somewhere. Best of luck to him in whatever he does after rugby. A great player and seemed to be a nice guy off the field. I think Geechs summed it up best when he called him a 'test match animal.' Always gave 100% for England.

He was a great player on his day. Certainly a bit overrated by the press especially in more recent years, but was 110% committed to everything did, and left it all on the pitch (including a fair amount of his blood and teeth!). From interviews etc. he seems a great guy as well, and was a "model professional". Will have an impressive trophy cabinet as well!
Wish him well with whatever he does next.

On a related note, only Tindall, Wilkinson and Balshaw are left from the 03 RWC Final side.

Used to like him, until he signed my better halve's cleavage after a game at leicester. Quite why he felt the need to sign each is beyond me, but nothing if not thorough in his approach.

Will be sorely missed, even if just for the increasingly-frequent injury-laden articles he'd generate. If only we could bottle the fire he played with.

I can. He's nothing to do with Leinster.

Or Munster...

Heineken Cups aplenty, a World Cup, Grand Slam(s?), Premier Leagues etc. I don't think he'll be retiring with many regrets...and most of his life is still ahead of him. Must be strange being a thirty-something retired sports star.

Best of luck to him.

Used to like him, until he signed my better halve's cleavage after a game at leicester. Quite why he felt the need to sign each is beyond me, but nothing if not thorough in his approach.

Will be sorely missed, even if just for the increasingly-frequent injury-laden articles he'd generate. If only we could bottle the fire he played with.

Take this as a compliment to your girl or Mad Dog will hunt you down.

Always respected him as a player and a bloke. Think he was let down a little in the world cup, but that's another story.

Good luck to him

There are plenty of other players in the world with twice the talent but nowhere near the success of Moody, and that's a testament to the heart and commitment he played with. It's not a shock his career is ended by injury, such were the types of places he threw his body into.

Last edited:
There are plenty of other players in the world with twice the talent but nowhere near the success as Moody, and that's a testament to the heart and commitment he played with.
This.

My favourite Moody moment - Mad Dog beating Tuilagi all the way back to the southern hemisphere following a tackle in the air on Cueto during the AI between England and Samoa. Always nice to see Tigers team mates knocking lumps from one another.

Was never a big Moody fan what with the Leicester and Bath connections but can't belittle the fact that he would always leave everything on the pitch. We havn't seen the end of him in rugby terms I think

Latest posts