• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Morgan Stoddart forced to retire after broken leg

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
BBC said:
Wales and Scarlets back Morgan Stoddart has retired with immediate effect after failing to recover from a broken leg.The 28-year-old was six games into his Scarlets comeback after 14 months out with a double leg fracture.
But he has experienced "significant pain" since his return and has followed medical advice to stop playing.
"It has been a difficult few months as I come to terms with the fact that I was not going to return to full fitness," he said.
Stoddart broke his left leg while winning his eighth cap for Wales in a pre-World Cup game against England at Twickenham in August 2011.

He sustained the injury early in the second half when he was tackled by Delon Armitage, having intercepted a pass from the England player.
Scarlets eased him back into action with a second-half appearance as a replacement against Newport Gwent Dragons on 5 October.
He showed no ill-effects of the injury, making an real impact in the final stages and scored the final try in a 23-14 victory at Parc y Scarlets.
But problems gradually resurfaced in the next games and he was forced off early against Munster on 25 November in what will now prove to be his final appearance.
"I worked as hard as possible in the year I was off to get back on the pitch and that can be a difficult period for any injured player mentally, as well as physically, but I was determined to get back to playing," added Stoddart, who scored a try on his Wales debut against South Africa in 2007.
"But ever since I've been back on the field I've had significant pain in the leg throughout and that has not improved.
"Following a series of medical tests and consultations, detailed scans and strength tests, I've been advised that I cannot continue."

Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20935237

Boy has he been unlucky with injuries throughout his career. Barely been able to keep himself fit for a full season. Great attacking player who never reached his true potential.

Gutted for the bloke. Not been everybody's type of player, but he always gave it his all, and a very unfortunate line of injuries prevented us from seeing his best.
All the best for his career off the field.

I second Draggs post.

A big shame that the leg injury was so serious it has ultimately ended his career.

At his best he was a very good runner with the ball. Here is a tribute from YouTube of some of his best moments, the best clip is the first one where creates a try for Mark Jones to score against Stade Français.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g3cptDDI8Dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I hope that song choice was accidental.
In hindsight, it is in rather poor taste.

I'm gutted I'll never see him line up against England again. He was one of my favourite Welsh backs.

He was a gentleman. Always waved at the opposition ;)
Always liked Moggsy.

One of my favourite players to watch. He had a rare balance about him that just made seeing him run with the ball such a joy to behold. A real shame.

Latest posts