• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Morne Steyn

O

ollybarkley

Can anyone tell me why Morne Steyn never got a chance with the Boks? He sure looks like a quality player who is capable of covering 10/12 and even 15 in a pinch, although most likely not at international level.

I mean Derick Hougaard got capped, and I think Steyn is the better player between the 2.

Morne Steyn never got a chance because he was always in Derick Hougaards shadow because Heyneke Meyer persisted in playing him. Steyn is definitely better than Hougaard except maybe in the tactical kicking department. Steyn IMO is up to international standard, he can keep his cool and doesn't easily fold under pressure, better than Peter Grant I think.

Did he sign in Europe? I thought I heard about him signing for some club there, but thanks for the feedback. I've always rated him highly also. I think he runs a good game, kicks well for the sticks and out of hand, is decent defensively, and can make a few breaks himself.

Derick Hougaard signed for Leicester Tigers, Morne Steyn is still playing for the Bulls.

Thanks... the above comments were about Steyn... not Hougaard. I've never rated him.

Morne Steyn is a good sturdy player but I don't think he's the long term solution for the Boks. That said you won't have to look much further than the Bulls bench for that, Burton Francis got all the skills.

Latest posts