• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mortlock To Miss Super 14 Season

F

Fushitsusha

Mortlock to miss Super 14 season

By Bret Harris
October 17, 2007

AUSTRALIA and Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock is expected to miss the Super 14 next year because of a shoulder injury he carried during the World Cup in France.

And Wallabies fullback Chris Latham has been linked with Northern Irish province Ulster.

Still getting over the disappointment of the Australia's early exit from the World Cup, Mortlock had a scan on his shoulder on Monday and all indications were that he would require reconstructive surgery.

This is set to be confirmed when Mortlock has an arthroscopy on his shoulder on Friday.

If the Wallabies' quarter-final against England in Marseille two weeks ago was not a knock-out match, it is understood Mortlock would not have played.

Mortlock, 30, has had two shoulder reconstructions, including one that almost cost him a place in the Wallabies' 2003 World Cup squad.

The loss of Mortlock would be devastating for the Brumbies, who have lost world record Test halves pairing, George Gregan and Stephen Larkham.

Gregan has signed with French club Toulon, while Larkham is still negotiating with European and Japanese teams after his deal with Edinburgh fell through.

The Brumbies have shown they can win without Mortlock, but it was when Gregan and/or Larkham was on the field.

While the Brumbies could still field a backline with five players who have toured with the Wallabies, the absence of 301 Test caps of experience in the backs will making the 2008 season a real challenge for them.

Test outside back Adam Ashley-Cooper is expected to replace Mortlock at outside centre with Test winger Mark Gerrard moved to fullback.

The Brumbies have promising Sydney University and Melbourne Rebels winger Peter Playford to take over from Gerrard on the wing.

They also have the option of playing five-eighth Julian Huxley at full back and new recruit Tyrone Smith in the centres with Gene Fairbanks or Christian Lealiifano at No10.

Smith, who had been playing rugby league for Harlequins in England, is one of three new signings for the Brumbies, with halfback Josh Holmes and blindside flanker Mitch Chapman.

His older brother, Wallabies openside flanker George, is expected to replace Mortlock as Brumbies captain, while Huxley is likely to become the team's first-choice goal kicker.

Mortlock's injury could also place his future with the Wallabies under a cloud. He is yet to decide whether he will continue to play in Australia after next year or pursue his career in Europe or Japan.

Meanwhile, there is speculation Latham has already signed to play with Ulster, which includes former Australia second rower Justin Harrison.

Latham has made it known he was looking at playing overseas next year, although the ARU said he would be required by the Wallabies until the end of the Tri-Nations series.

If this is true this would be a MASSIVE blow for the Brumbies.

With Gregan and Larkham retiring they would have need an experienced player like Mortlock to guide them in the backs.

Despite the amount of talent in the team, I'm really unsure how they will go next year without him.

Ashley-Cooper was outstanding when he played outside centre for the Brumbies this year, but with Huxley at flyhalf....

Jeez, just look back at the Brumbie's 2006 half and centre pairings...Gregan, Larkham, Giteau, Mortlock. 2007 had Gregan, Larkham and Mortlock. 2008 will have none of those players....

Whilst the Brumbies have plenty of talent, I think it may be 2 or 3 seasons before they become a force again.

Jeez, just look back at the Brumbie's 2006 half and centre pairings...Gregan, Larkham, Giteau, Mortlock. 2007 had Gregan, Larkham and Mortlock. 2008 will have none of those players....

Whilst the Brumbies have plenty of talent, I think it may be 2 or 3 seasons before they become a force again.
[/b]

I think that they're going to have to rely on their forwards to do a lot of good work like they did this year.

In the past it's generally been the flair in the Brumbies backs that have helped them dominate, but this year I noticed it was moreso the back 5 forwards (Smith, Hoiles, Chisholm, Tawake, Wallace-Harrison) who were really winning them games.

If these guys can dominate again, hopefully the likes of Holmes, Ashley-Cooper and maybe even Huxley can pull some magic. Huxley seems to be able to work wonders when the team is going forward.

Oh yeah, no doubt the Brumbies have the capacity to dominate, which they should provided they play a few games together without change. The problem is if one of the big name forwards succumb to an injury, whether it be Smith, Hoiles, Tawake or AWH, then the Brumbies will find it hard to stay consistent. For the Brumbies to stay in the top half of the comp there will have to be no injuries.

Oh yeah, no doubt the Brumbies have the capacity to dominate, which they should provided they play a few games together without change. The problem is if one of the big name forwards succumb to an injury, whether it be Smith, Hoiles, Tawake or AWH, then the Brumbies will find it hard to stay consistent. For the Brumbies to stay in the top half of the comp there will have to be no injuries.
[/b]

It's not injuries to forwards they need to worry about. They've got a LOT of depth there.

If Smith gets injured (which he NEVER does) then Hoiles is equally dynamic at the breakdown.

Aside from the players mentioned above there's also Al Campbell, Julian Salvi, and Mitchell Chapman. They've easily got one of the best backrows in the competition. And their frontrow is stocked fairly well too.

The problem is in the backs where they do have some promising young players in the likes of Fainifo, Faingaa etc., but they haven't really played that much top level rugby.

Anyways, I can't wait for the comp to start. Now that the international season is pretty much over all my attention is on the Brumbies.

Personally I think although it is a disaster in the short term in the long term it could only be better for Australian rugby, it will mean that AAC can be further developed as an outside center so we don't get a situation with Larkham or Gregan, where they play until they fall apart as they as essentially undroppable....Mortlock is getting old so the blooding of the new talent will be fantastic for Australian rugby...

The problem is in the backs where they do have some promising young players in the likes of Fainifo, Faingaa etc., but they haven't really played that much top level rugby. [/b]

arent you thankful that a comp like the ARC was intended just for that very reason.

Big loss indeed to the Brumbies.

<div class='quotemain'> The problem is in the backs where they do have some promising young players in the likes of Fainifo, Faingaa etc., but they haven't really played that much top level rugby. [/b]

arent you thankful that a comp like the ARC was intended just for that very reason.

Big loss indeed to the Brumbies.
[/b][/quote]

On the plus side, with the new ELV's to be introduced into the Super 14 a lot of the ARC players will be better adjusted to the rules.

However, in the long term I do think that the added counter attacking will suit the NZ teams better.

This just in...

Mortlock to miss seven games

Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock expects to miss half of the 2008 Super 14 rugby season after he undergoes shoulder reconstruction surgery on Friday.

The surgery will repair damage done when Mortlock dislocated his right shoulder when tackled while scoring a try in the World Cup win over Wales in Cardiff on September 15.

He returned to take his place at centre in the Wallabies line-up for their quarter-final loss to England three weeks later.

Mortlock, the Brumbies captain, expects to miss the first seven matches of next year's Super 14 as he recuperates from his third shoulder recontruction.

"It's disappointing to miss a game at any stage but to miss a series of matches at the beginning of a season is particularly frustrating,'' said Mortlock.

"We've got an outstanding, young squad for next season and I'm really looking forward to being part of what will be a very exciting season for the Brumbies.

"But in the meantime, it's a matter of getting the surgery done, getting started on my rehab and getting back on the paddock as soon as I can.''

Seasoned Wallabies breakaway George Smith looms as an obvious contender to take over the Brumbies captaincy in Mortlock's absence following the departure of George Gregan and Stephen Larkham after last season.

In the midfield his outside cntre role seems likely to go to fellow World Cup Wallaby Adam Ashley-Cooper.

This will be interesting.

Hopefully the Brumbies can perform in the first half of the season without him, then when he returns he'll hopefully be fresh and on fire just like in 2006.

Big loss given we are going to have a new halves pairing. I just hope Fisher tries some of the talented youngsters rather than going for guys that aren't as effective.

Hmm...he was the only one to shine for Australia at the world cup & is always a class act. One of the best 13s in the game. The brumbies will miss him.

Mortlock is a legend! the competition will be a little less without him. He almost was the only player doing anything good for the aussies in the wc. I'm not sure if he's captain material though.
I would put him in any world Xv.
Go the boks!

this sucks, i wonder how much more mortlocks got in the tank, he might be retiring soon would like to see him as much as possible, i wonder if he'l get captain for wallabies next year

it will be good to see fairbanks and ashley-cooper stand up [/b]

I dont think they will. Im still not convinced AAC is the heir apparent to mortlock in the brumbies/wallabies team. I think he's a bit overated to be honest.

<div class='quotemain'> it will be good to see fairbanks and ashley-cooper stand up [/b]

I dont think they will. Im still not convinced AAC is the heir apparent to mortlock in the brumbies/wallabies team. I think he's a bit overated to be honest.
[/b][/quote]

AAC was awesome in this years Super 14.

There's no doubt in my mind that he will take over from Mortlock at outside centre when he retires. I don't see any other player in Australia who's even close to Mortlock or AAC at outside centre.

Although, Rathbone hasn't played there in a while? I do hold the opinion that the 3 best outside centres in the country all play for the Brumbies.

However, I don't like Fairbanks. I hope Anthony Faingaa or Tyrone Smith steps up.

There's no doubt in my mind that he will take over from Mortlock at outside centre when he retires. I don't see any other player in Australia who's even close to Mortlock or AAC at outside centre.

Although, Rathbone hasn't played there in a while? I do hold the opinion that the 3 best outside centres in the country all play for the Brumbies.

However, I don't like Fairbanks. I hope Anthony Faingaa or Tyrone Smith steps up. [/b]
Theres the very real possibility of Timana Tahu taking one of those top 3 centre spots...if not in 2008, then definitely in 2009.

<div class='quotemain'>

However, I don't like Fairbanks. I hope Anthony Faingaa or Tyrone Smith steps up. [/b]
Theres the very real possibility of Timana Tahu taking one of those top 3 centre spots...if not in 2008, then definitely in 2009.
[/b][/quote]

We'll see.

He could become another Tuqiri in that position - sideways running and terrible defence.

Has Tahu even played rugby before? At least Cross had some high level rugby under his belt before he went to league...

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

We'll see.

He could become another Tuqiri in that position - sideways running and terrible defence.

Has Tahu even played rugby before? At least Cross had some high level rugby under his belt before he went to league... [/b][/quote]
He quite possibly could, but then again he might not. Don't lay down your bets too early my friend.

He quite possibly could, but then again he might not. Don't lay down your bets too early my friend.
[/b]
Don't expect Fushi to give any kind of praise to a non ACT player, so don't bother...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Don't expect Fushi to give any kind of praise to a non ACT player, so don't bother... [/b][/quote]
Haha yeah, I've noticed that.

Latest posts