• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Most Overated Players

Q

QLD

Which players have been average at best this season?

Kurtley Beale, Lote Tuqiri and Timana Tawho for mine. Beale won't be getting a Wallaby jumper this season for sure and Tahu doesn't deserve one yet will manage to get one because he's the big league convert we have invested $500k a season for. Lote's been shithouse for a few years now despite being the highest paid player in Australia at $1.2million. Tuqiri will hang onto his mortgage on the 11 jersey though there will be about 10 other Australian wingers that are better than him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
League convert Timana Tahu has become a $2 million rugby misfit

March 22, 2009

HE left rugby league as arguably the game's most dominant centre, but Timana Tahu has become rugby union's $2 million reserve.

Two seasons into the four-year contract that lured him from rugby league, Tahu has still not completed a full match in Super 14.

The Sunday Telegraph has unearthed statistics that show Tahu is getting less than 42 minutes a game.

On Saturday night, against the Crusaders, he was given only 16.

Former Australia full-back Glen Ella rates Tahu a "freak athlete", adding the Australian Rugby Union was right to invest in him. But he said it was a waste of money if they didn't use him.

"They're probably paying him an absolute fortune and he's probably getting paid under false pretenses because he's not on the field enough," Ella said.

"He came over from league to play union, not sit on the bench.

"He's a class player, he was a class player in the other code. He's got the best off-loads in the competition, you've just got to give him a chance.

"At the moment he plays one good game and he's sat back on the bench for the next game.

"He needs to play rugby at the highest level for a consistent period."

Despite playing four Tests in his first year of rugby, Tahu has only started six of his 13 games with New South Wales Waratahs.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey continues to rotate his centres, explaining it's partly a strategy for injury prevention.

But there is also a suggestion that fly-half Kurtley Beale operates better with the steady Tom Carter by his side.

But Ella claimed the lack of consistency in the backline selection was just contributing to a stuttering Waratahs attack.

"I think that's the thing that would give (Tahu) the most frustration, he starts one week and runs off the bench the other week," Ella said.

"I suppose him and Tommy Carter don't know what's going on, and I think that's part of the contributing fact that NSW are not playing so well in their backline because they change their backline every week."

The most action Tahu saw on Saturday night was warming up behind the in-goal area. He wasn't even sitting on the bench at the start of the game, walking out of the tunnel after the first 10 minutes.[/b]

A team full of overrated misfits that still manages to beat the exciting and talented Reds. Look to your own backyard before you criticise ours (i.e Quade Cooper). When your burgeoning talent actually starts to play consistent and competitive rugby i'll listen to your sour grapes.

Edit: I actually agree with your assessment of Timana and Beale, it's just there are so many disappointments in Australian rugby atm I don't know why you're singling out the Waratahs, who have been doing alright

Mate the Waratahs are f**king terrible. I know the Reds have a lot yet to prove, but you can see the effort they have put into playing a hard, fast game is starting to pay dividends. New South Wales on the other hand have been mostly hopeless this season, even in the games they have won. I'd say they are suffering from some pretty average coaching, as there are quality players all over the park, but something is defiantly going a miss with them at the moment. That performance against Canterbury was cringeworthy. A city with 4 million people that boasts a strong rugby fanbase and a side in the top four should not be struggling with crowds, but it is, and that tells the real story.

Maccaweeney, you make a mistake in thinking that all Reds supporters think Quade Cooper is any good, half the people I know including myself think he is a joke.

And Dale makes the mistake of thinking that NSW supporters rate Beale/Tahu, Lote is another kettle of fish, he has earned his stripes. I will definitely concede that the Waratahs are not heading in the right direction. They played ugly rugby last season but still tried new things in the backs. The Waratahs seem all too happy to give the opposition the ball in their own half through poorly executed box and field kicks.

The Reds have had one emphatic win, and good on them for it. Though it's too early in the season to say if their style will continue to pay dividends, you also really need Horwill back. I'm not discounting the Reds, i'm only pointing out that the phenomenon of having overrated and disappointing players is by no means exclusive to the Waratahs, so singling them out merely because one has an axe to grind seems pointless.

I would say Cory Jane would be the most overated played who i have ever seen. Honestly, has a stupider person ever taken to the rugby field? Personally, I doubt it.

Victor Vito.

I'm not saying he's not alright, I'm just saying that anyone who touted him as the next Jonah Lomu is an idiot.

Here are my list of overrated players:

From Australia:

- Ryan Cross (I have never seen him do anything special. Crap imho)
- Nathan Sharpe

From New Zealand:

- Rodney S 'oialo (SP?) Sorry, but i don't think the guy is in the same league as other 8's in this competition.
- Corey Jane
- Brad Thorn

From South Africa:

- Zane Kirchner (Worst player ever. I don't know how he is even in that team...)
- Gideon Steggman (The Bull's number 6 is an idiot)
- JP Nel (Abomination)
- Percy Montgomerie (Sorry, but it's time to go)
- Gcobani Bobo (*vommit)
- Both Ndungane wings (Too slow, and they just don't have the skill)

Cant think of anyone else right now. Oh, and if anyone mentions Francois Steyn as overrated, then i think you guys are idiots. I reckon he broke Valentine's rib with that kick. B)

Stephen Donald from the Chiefs is useless, how does he keep getting the starting spot at flyhalf.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 23 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Stephen Donald from the Chiefs is useless, how does he keep getting the starting spot at flyhalf.[/b]

He had a good season last year.

On my list would be Hosea Gear. Everyone says he will be the next All Black winger, personally I think Masaga is better.

i can't understand why so many rugby followers think lote tuqiri is over rated. he has played nearly 80 super rugby matches and won 64 caps for the wallabies and after most of them someone, somewhere has called him over rated. hasn't it ever occured to them that if he was over rated he probably would not have still be playing for the wallabies and waratahs.
i think tuqiri is in the top three wingers in austalia at the moment based on form. sure he doesn't score a try every time he touches the ball but who does. he attracts multiple defenders when ever he has the ball and lets not forget that all the international and super rugby experience he has must count for something. i don't see how anyone can legitimately say he doesn't deserve his wallabies jersey...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tomsey @ Mar 25 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i can't understand why so many rugby followers think lote tuqiri is over rated. he has played nearly 80 super rugby matches and won 64 caps for the wallabies and after most of them someone, somewhere has called him over rated. hasn't it ever occured to them that if he was over rated he probably would not have still be playing for the wallabies and waratahs.
i think tuqiri is in the top three wingers in austalia at the moment based on form. sure he doesn't score a try every time he touches the ball but who does. he attracts multiple defenders when ever he has the ball and lets not forget that all the international and super rugby experience he has must count for something. i don't see how anyone can legitimately say he doesn't deserve his wallabies jersey...[/b]

Its quite easy, he doesn't deserve to wear his nana's woolen jersey let alone a wallabies jersey. He has barely any influence on the game, he can't really kick and he doesn't score tries nowadays either. He isn't the running powerhouse he was a while ago and certainly doesn't attract more defenders than his inside players. He's simply there because the ARU have to justify their stupid decision to fork out millions to keep him in union, and there isn't anyone really bashing down the door at the waratahs in competition for his position.

Yeah there is, his cousin Ratu Nasiganiyavi may apply some pressure when he recovers from (i think) an ankle injury suffered in pre-season. Everyone harps on about him mainly because he is a huge black man, but he performed well in u 20's and for Randwick.

Tuqiri isn't as good as he used to be, but he's still a very reliable player. It was his running in broken play that sparked a try in both the Perth and Sydney games of the Tri-Nations, and his defence is far superior to that of Hynes or Ioane. He also possesses a shred of discipline and restraint, something Ioane lacks. I like Ioane's physicality but he really needs to stop leaking penalties.

Agreed complete rubbish.

Here goes..

Australia

Beale, awful player
Palu
Not so much overated but that Tom Carter is a real fool, always looks like hes going to cry
Burgess
Sharpe
This might cause a bit of controversy but i would say Giteau is a bit overated, class player no doubt but hes certainly not on Carters level like many make him out to be.

South Africa

Steyn,garbage
Conradie, if anyone rates him, hes rubbish
Sephaka, useless lump
Willemse, weak and not particularily fast
Habana

New Zealand

Nonu
Cowan
Ellis
Laulala

Schalk Burger
Bryan Habana
Juan Smith
John Smit
Peter Grant
JP Pietersen
Frans Steyn
Adrian Jacobs
Bolla Conradie
Ricky Januarie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 26 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Schalk Burger - AGREE (Doesn't do anything for me)
Bryan Habana - DISAGREE (He is still lethal. A form slump does not mean he is overrated. He is still the best there is.)
Juan Smith - DISAGREE
John Smit - DISAGREE
Peter Grant - Not really rated that highly by anyone.
JP Pietersen - STRONGLY DISAGREE (Best winger we have atm)
Frans Steyn - STRONGLY DISAGREE (He is class. Will always be.)
Adrian Jacobs - DISAGREE (Hasn't done anything wrong in years. Brilliant line breaker.)
Bolla Conradie - STRONGLY AGREE (He is poo)
Ricky Januarie - AGREE (His brilliant moments are far too few for my liking)[/b]

That's what i think anyway...

Latest posts