• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Most physical demanding position in the back-line

Kapa O Pango

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Which position in the back-line, do you guys regard as the most physical demanding. Well, I consider in the centres, both inside and outside, because you got guys like Jamie Roberts, Jean De Villiers, Ma'a Nonu, Manu Tuilagi, Mathied Bastareaud, Tevita Kuridran, these guys are monsters all 6ft+ and well over 100kgs. Well know for trucking up in the middle and making meters for the gain-line, also their bone crushing defensive hits. However, there is a downside with so much bulk with the issue of turning and chasing (as De Villiers is the lightest out all the other five) with De Villiers and Kuridran considered being the fastest and the rest are know for their power like Nonu, Tuilagi, Roberts and Bastareaud.

Depends how you define physically demanding I guess. Fitness wise, we're talking scrum-half, who's probably also taking the most hits they didn't know were coming as well.

people always under estimate how phsyically demanding 10 is... you get a lot down your channel as it's often seen as an easy target and also do a fair amount of cover tackling and covering back for 15 etc..., kicking and passing is ultimately tiring especially when you're working under pressure.

For straight head on collisions i guess 12.

Also echo peats comments about 9's, who do a fair amount of close quarters tackling and get smashed about a good percentage of the game.

Well I played on the wing and can say it's not us unless you're having to cover Julian Savea on defense.

Latest posts