• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Most Stylish Tries for Rugby 2012

SavageLez

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Western Province
It would be great to have certain players that are able to score tries in a certain ways for Rugby 2012. Like a signature try. Philip Burger for example jumps straight up into the air and does a somersault while placing the ball. Pierre Spies just dots it down and points his finger up (to his late dad!), Habana always slides in. Contepomi does a lie on his side pose. Breyton Paulse always did a backward flick flack!

Much like Tiger Woods golf it would be great if you could purchase or unlock these as you play along!

Last edited:
This was done to an extent in 08, but they only made individual try celebration "cut-scenes". It's a great idea but I would HATE it if we had to purchase or unlock them as we played.

You may have a point. Another important point is that you do not want the player to do the same action every time he scores. I remember Jonah Lomu Rugby gave you the option to push square, triangle, circle or x to score and that would result in a different animation try!

I never played JLR, but that is a wicked idea. I do get pretty sick and tired of seeing every player dive with the same animation over and over again.

You may have a point. Another important point is that you do not want the player to do the same action every time he scores. I remember Jonah Lomu Rugby gave you the option to push square, triangle, circle or x to score and that would result in a different animation try!

Never noticed that?? been playing that lately, cracking game :D :D :D will have to try that out.
would be nice to have some signature "finishing" although maybe would become a bit tedious if a player only does 1 dive but i'm sure it'll only be in certain situations.
e.g. Habana clear in the corner with his dive. Maybe Shane williams's dive on lions tour 2005
Shane-Williams-dives-for-Lions_2049267.jpg

would be fun

Never noticed that?? been playing that lately, cracking game :D :D :D will have to try that out.
would be nice to have some signature "finishing" although maybe would become a bit tedious if a player only does 1 dive but i'm sure it'll only be in certain situations.
e.g. Habana clear in the corner with his dive. Maybe Shane williams's dive on lions tour 2005
Shane-Williams-dives-for-Lions_2049267.jpg

would be fun

I can't remember exactly how it worked but by simply tapping X the ball would simply be put down. By pushing circle the player would dive, can't remeber but it was great. Only problem was that sometimes if you were too far from the line with certain player the player would kick the ball away instead of attempting to score a try!

Haha i have a few New Zealander try animations ...

- Zac Guildford's awkward dive when he dives on his side .
- Hosea Gear's dive where he dives, hits the ground, then spins right on to his back .
- Lelia Masaga and Piri Weepu always start to dance after they get tries .
- Alby Matthewson always looks styly after he gets his tries .

I guess this is along the same theme as the custom kicking styles, although should be mapped to every player for the ability.

Others I can think of;
;Chris Ashton/Jon Clarke "Rolly-Polly gambol"
Jason Ribinsons "don't bother diving in stead skip past them and place the ball down".

A neat feature would be to allow diving passed defenders but not immediately dotting the ball if the timing is appropriate (I.e. if there's space), allowing to rin to the middle and make the kick easier. (this would also put more enphasis on cover defence and realistically force some breakaway scores to still stay wide). For this to be worth while though, goal kicking needs to be much harder.

I like the fake dotting down of the ball and then advancing nearer to the posts and really dotting it down idea! The AI needs to be very high on this so that it can't be done every time. Only if there aren't more than say two defenders or if the tackle is not solid should it be possible.

Team or player celebratory moves after brilliant tries or tight matches would also create a better atmosphere!

I like the idea of perhaps a custom animation, and I could think a better way than just pressing circle, X, square and triangle when in goal would be to hold down L2 while pressing either the buttons. For example -
L2+X= Standard slide
L2+Squade= Touch ball down.
L2+Triangle= Dive low (this would be handy for scoring tries when running along the touch line or if being closely chased. There is nothing I hate more in rugby 08 then getting tackled mid dive, interupting the animation.
L2+Circle= Custom Animation (There could be maybe 10-15 custom animations for players (eg Joe Rokocoko awkward dive) and then have another 10 custom animations which could be spread amongst the remainding players.

I think a L2 would be good to do with each botton just in case you wanted to be a cocky guy and kick the ball in goal (don't really know why, but I guess it'd be nice to be able to do).

Joe Rokocoko diving for a try with his head tilted looking up at the nearest opposition player.
Would also love to see a player score a try then throw the ball away or signal to the crowd to get up out of their seats!

How about Israel Dagg's "Fist Pump" on the way to the try line?

P.S. and to all those people who are rubbishing Ma'a Nonu's passing and ball handling... well that pass speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about small button combos for different dives like for the celebrations on FIFA.. E.g. L1 and x for a big swallow dive or whatever.. Obviously there should just be a general dive button if the player is going for the corner and is under pressure from the opposition.. But if the player has more time, pressing a 2 button combination shouldn't be too difficult :)

I think it'd have to be using a controller combination that's not (or rarely) otherwise used, otherwise you'll get people accidentally doing sidesteps or kicking the ball 60m down field trying to do a fancy celebration when they do it too early. Those button combos work well in FIFA because you've already scored, so you can't mess up the play (because no play is occurring).

I always go with the ones where the player stands still and puts his arms out or pumps his fist; stops him showboating and I can get back to the game. ;)

Post-try celebrations, well, I don't think you can go much past these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_koAzlyF4SU&feature=related - Human Bicycle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSTEzhoC8E - Human Toilet

Or, even though I can't find a video of it, Mark Riddell jumping into the empty grandstand and clapping his own try. Although the game always has totally full grandstands so I doubt that'd happen.

Latest posts