• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Most 'Village' Players of All Time

best_fullback

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bristol
Ok, I don't know if 'village' is just a local saying from my area but this would be my definition of its meaning:

Village

Something performed or done to a poor standard, often embarrassingly so.

E.g. "That team are so village"
"Ugo Monye's catching skills are so village"

However this phrase is often also used to describe what players are wearing. In that sense it means player who just look absolutely stupid in what they are wearing or just look like.

I will give you an example:

Andy Goode
goode_37614t.jpg
goode_597492.jpg

Not only will Goode go down as one of the most unorthodox players ever, but probably the least fashionable too. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Rugby should be a catwalk, but Andy is clearly having a stab and failing in an epic way.

White and blue boots, Red under-shorts, Gloves, Worst hair ever and a handle-bar moustache. What was he thinking? He truly is the epitomy of village.

Also,

Earl Rose
Super+14+Lions+v+Cheetahs+YDzGzIuVuiZl.jpg

A silly amount of wrist tape, Orange gloves, a black and orange scrum-cap and white and red boots. He just looks like a bell-end.

Who do you think should get a special mention? Pics too if possible!

*wonders how long it'll be before James Hook/Gavin Henson/Lee Byrne are posted due to their riduculous orange faces*

Ooooh, i can't help myself:
I can't find a picture but just everything about Henson in this video:

He's bright orange, with a bright silver mushroom haircut that appears to be plaited as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a picture, but Philip Burger wore leggings to a game. Full on, black leggings. He is a SAFA and plays in the Top 14.

Yes, Goode is a complete idiot.

I would use the word, camp, instead of village.

Any Highlanders player from Mullet Country aka South Island, NZ...

Poor old Andy Goode, he gets a lot of flack when he's actually not a bad player and has achieved more in his career then most players could even dream of. Then the complete fuckwits like Wilkinson, Barkley and O'Gara regularly put in shite performances and are considered god-Like amongst their fans.

It's a truly bizarre world.

Also, is "Village" an interbred West-Country term? Outsiders aren't allowed to hear it and once you know it, you're can never leave? A Royston Vasey special?

Poor old Andy Goode, he gets a lot of flack when he's actually not a bad player and has achieved more in his career then most players could even dream of. Then the complete fuckwits like Wilkinson, Barkley and O'Gara regularly put in shite performances and are considered god-Like amongst their fans.

It's a truly bizarre world.

Also, is "Village" an interbred West-Country term? Outsiders aren't allowed to hear it and once you know it, you're can never leave? A Royston Vasey special?

Yeah shame is Andy is a good player. Didn't he get booed the other day in a S14 match for kicking? I for one don't think any of those players are any good except Wilko. No matter how badly he plays he will always be a legend. But same old Johnson will pick him because he knows him. Steve Thompson anyone?

Well I assume it must be West-country if no one else has heard it! Was that a knock at my door...?

Andy Goode is a good player, the best 10 in England at the moment. But... everyone else is playing pretty crap rugby. But still really good. He attacks a lot, that is why England doesn't like him, they only like 10's who can kick.

Andy Goode is not the best 10 in England atm, but he is a very good club player. I'd be happy to have Goode as a fly half in my club side. He gets way too much flak just because he's fat and has silly hair.

I concurr. I've been vocal at my disdain at his England selection in the past, but that's mainly because he's 30+, and would've preferred a younger guy called into the squad instead

Latest posts