• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mouthgaurd

I was just saying, that if you have one fitted it will be better for your teeth in the long run. It won't stop damage to your teeth, but having your teeth knocked out is very painful and will cause you major cosmetic and dental problems later, which as melon points out.. will cost you much much more. The point of a mouthguard is to cover the gums and roots of the teeth so that if the cheeks and jaw gets knocked, it will reduce the impact of the root. The boil and bite ones don't do that, they are ok but don't cover nearly as much of the gum.. but they are more for sports like martial arts, basketball where the risk of getting hit in the mouth is more accidental.

If you are playing backs, you might just get away with it, but for a forward you'd need something a bit tougher. Probably about 4-5mm.

Glop, you must have dental technicians in Lithuania.. these are the people who make the appliances for dentists.. which is what i do. So you must look for 'laboratory'. They will not charge you the big price that a dentist will. Try to find some 'dental technician'.. not a dentist and ask them. It's illegal to a technician to take the impression of your mouth in the UK but it might be different in Lithuania.. laws are different. It's something we are trained in and have to do, but dentists stop us from doing it with patients, so they take even more money.

If you have to get a boil and bite, go for something that looks quite thick and will also cover some gum.

Just get one that you can mold yourself for now. I know a buddy of mine that just got one that they sent you something so that you get the mold of your month and then you send it back and they send you a mouth guard fitted to your month. Ill trying to find it out tomorrow cause i was thinking about doing it myself and Im sure its not that bad in price cause this guy's a cheap f***. : )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Mar 30 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just get one that you can mold yourself for now. I know a buddy of mine that just got one that they sent you something so that you get the mold of your month and then you send it back and they send you a mouth guard fitted to your month. Ill trying to find it out tomorrow cause i was thinking about doing it myself and Im sure its not that bad in price cause this guy's a cheap f***. : )[/b]

Yeah... I know, that in martial arts website you can order these mouthguards, but I didin't find any for rugby..

Well, they are the same thing. If you use one for boxing, it has to be thicker, so a martial arts one would be ok. It's just the thickness of it that you need for rugby. About 4-5mm is best.. anything else won't protect your teeth in a rugby injury.

get one from the dentist... its well worth the little bit of money you pay for it... I used to use the shock doctor ones and they are just cumbersome ontop of that the form fitted dentist ones are easier to breath in.

Latest posts