• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moving from Flanker to Prop

absoluteflanker6

Academy Player
Been a flanker for my whole playing career so far, currently 28. Do a lot of bodybuilding training on top of my Rugby and as I got bigger I gradually moved from 7, to 6 and have now been asked to try my hand at tighthead prop next season. Always open to a challenge and fancy a change in my rugby so I have started training for it.

Just wondering if anybody else has done a similar move, and if so, any problems they experienced or advice they can give.?

Currently weighing 15 and a half stone at 5 foot 10. Well aware that the props in my league tend to be the more stereotypical larger gentleman who will generally out weigh me significantly so Im focusing a lot of the technical side of the scrum (which Ive been oblivious to for years stuck safely in the back row!). Any smaller, more athletic props in here to offer advice going up against the old school heavier guys?

Been a flanker for my whole playing career so far, currently 28. Do a lot of bodybuilding training on top of my Rugby and as I got bigger I gradually moved from 7, to 6 and have now been asked to try my hand at tighthead prop next season. Always open to a challenge and fancy a change in my rugby so I have started training for it.

Just wondering if anybody else has done a similar move, and if so, any problems they experienced or advice they can give.?

Currently weighing 15 and a half stone at 5 foot 10. Well aware that the props in my league tend to be the more stereotypical larger gentleman who will generally out weigh me significantly so Im focusing a lot of the technical side of the scrum (which Ive been oblivious to for years stuck safely in the back row!). Any smaller, more athletic props in here to offer advice going up against the old school heavier guys?
At adult club level I only played at No8 or Second Row; but at school, I also played in the Front Row, so I hope this helps.

1) Try not to let the oppositon loosehead get under your chest. Try to make sure through your body position, that he can only attack your shoulder area.

2) Push down as well as forward, because the oppositon loosehead will be trying to lift you up.

3) As you drive forward, take short steps not giant strides.

4) Remember, your main job is to "lock" the scrum and hold steady; but if you can separate the opposition loosehead from his hooker, it's a bonus.

Last edited:
I moved from utility back into the front row in my mid 30's and loved it. I played loosehead though, at 6' and 17 stone (18 in full winter plumage) but the advice above makes good sense. At tighthead being shorter (5'10 is not short) is an advantage, unless you are Carl Hayman. Being technically adept is more important than out and out bulk, but in all front row positions you are going to need basic core strength.

Best bet is to get hold of some of the old boys from the front row union in your club, and buy them enough beer (assuming you can afford that much beer) to get them to spill some of the secrets of the dark art. And don't get discouraged if you get turned inside out by some toothless grinning 40+ year old in your first season or two. It's the only physical contact they get. It takes a while to get your head around it, and tighthead is about the most technically demanding and physical position on the pitch. That's why the pros get the big bucks.

Latest posts