• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moving to Halfback.

W

Woldog

Ok, so here's the deal, I'm a player who's played every position through my rugby career, in grade 8 I played Halfback and was shocking and never played there again (first game of Rugby after seeing George Gregan play in 2002) and I played Hooker for most of my school life, along with Wing, Here's the problem. I got moved to halfback yesterday, shock decision, I played wing all last year and center this year (Terrible center, never ever ever ever ever play me there again) and so I played halfback and went pretty well, had fast on target deliveries.
But my main problem is I don't really know how to play Halfback all that well, what side of the scrum am I supposed to be on, where should I position myself in defence?

Learn fast my friend, Saturday is just around the corner and I dont want no farce ball out of you.....At scrum time I think you stand on the openside or the same side as the ref, in defence you're basically hovering around behind the ruck, kinda like a ruck fullback as in anyone that gets thru is your problem. Also you'll basically play a sweeper role behind the defensive line so if theres turnover ball you gotta be there to fire it out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MLegg @ Mar 20 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At scrum time I think you stand on the openside or the same side as the ref[/b]

The half back feeds the scrum on the loose head side. So if it’s your feed you stand on your loose head side and it it’s not your feed you can stand where ever the hell you like as long as you’re not offside.
In defense the half back is the forwards brain. Stand behind the ruck, read the game and go from there. If the ball is lost then pull some forwards out of the ruck, if you’re short of numbers on the blind side grab some body and push them out there. If the ball goes out to through the opposition backs follow it out running behind your own backs. This allows you’re to act as a second line of defense and get to the ruck quickly in case of a turn over. The most important thing over all is chat. If you’re not yelling at your forwards, telling them where you want them and what they should be doing, you’re talking to the fly half...

Halfbacks stand on the leftside of the scrum on their own feeds, anywhere after that.
You are the link player, you screw up your pass and the move breaks down, you are literally a half back half forward, defence should be huge, especially around the fringes of the ruck.
Crisp passes off both hands, box kicking with both feet (kicking from behind the ruck or maul) little sniping runs around the ruck.
On defence you are a sweeper, run behind your back line only following the ball and fill a gap if you see it, constant communication is the key.
Knowing what line your first five likes the ball on too... does he take it running or standing still.
Explosive speed and a strong fend/core are essential

Latest posts