Moving To London

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Well Lads herself is moving to London and well it possible I could eventually follow but for herself she asked me to do a bit of a look up on things for her so I taken a shortcut :D

Anyway, any UK members or even London posters able to help would be great. Firstly is there much work for a person with few years accountancy/office administration experience?
Also where are the good areas to look for work and accomodation. Also any additional information is great. She's been told £2500 is enough for starting off with the presumption of getting work quick and living to a tight budget starting off.

Cheers in advance.

I know nothing about the areas of London, but Admin work (especially with experience of it/accountancy) is fairly easy to come by in the UK - in my experience anyway, the job websites are full of the stuff!

I know nothing about the areas of London, but Admin work (especially with experience of it/accountancy) is fairly easy to come by in the UK - in my experience anyway, the job websites are full of the stuff!

Cheers Olyy, was looking at sites alright but sometimes that can be misleading. Is them jobs handy all over UK or just London. Wouldn't mind if she was in Manchester or midlands especially as if I ever had to go midlands there better rugby to see. :D

Any ideas on renting or funds needed over there.

Yeah, all over the UK pretty much. Obviously I've only job hunted where I live/in areas I've look at moving too, but there's always a fair amount.
Hard to say on the rent front, as it really does vary from place to place - a 2 bed flat/house in my town can be had for £400-500 per month, but in London that'd get you a room in a house share.
If you've not looked before then www.rightmove.co.uk is a great site for looking at properties.

Jobsite.co.uk
monster.co.uk
reed.co.uk
jobstoday.co.uk

All 4 are good starting points. try local newspaper websites for more availability.

**** me, there goes the neighbourhood. Just tell her you're splitting and give her my number, she'll be thankful for the upgrade and it'll be better for everyone in the long run.

edit: Reading closer, just her coming at first, maybe you following... even better, just bribe the UKBA...

Ok, first off, those are valuable skills in London and the London economy is going better than the general one. Reckon you'll be fine.

Neighbourhoods... how long is a piece of string? There's a huge amount of London, most of it's good to ok, there's some reasonably priced places in most areas. Do you have any preconceptions at all? Places you'd like to be near, any friends over here, that sort of thing? My gut instinct is to say South-East London - that's probably because it's where I'm from and it's the bit I know best but it is also affordable, there are good transport links going into central London/Canary Wharf/Croydon. Know a lot of people who got temping jobs in Croydon - particularly office temping jobs. Elsewise, I'd probably recommend somewhere cheap around Clapham (probably Balham or somewhere) - again, good transport links to most workplaces.

Job hunting - if I'm honest, I found it utterly overwhelming and ended up taking the first thing I saw then getting comfortable, and am now dreading looking again. I'd suggest asking around the at agencies, they might be able to get you something - I know a fair few friends who've found jobs that way. The better an idea of what you want to do/what you can do, the better you'll be I think.

p.s. If you are following and are still playing I strongly recommend moving to the Hayes/West Wickham area of SE London.

The old smoke....great town would love to live there myself, just be careful where you end up renting as its easy to go "cheap" and end up in some east London hell hole, the further away from the centre the normally worse it is but the good thing about London is you normally have a good mix of people where ever you go.

I grew up in West London so I won't be able to give too much on cheaper accommodation (the cheaper stuff tends to be fairly far out in West London, I was just in a good area for schools/settling a family).

Only really crucial advice I can think of is to make sure you're near a decent transport link. The tube, DRL and overground can all get you into London much faster than you might expect from areas that are a little far out (and therefore a little cheaper). Best of luck with all this and keep us updated

I grew up in West London so I won't be able to give too much on cheaper accommodation (the cheaper stuff tends to be fairly far out in West London, I was just in a good area for schools/settling a family).

Only really crucial advice I can think of is to make sure you're near a decent transport link. The tube, DRL and overground can all get you into London much faster than you might expect from areas that are a little far out (and therefore a little cheaper). Best of luck with all this and keep us updated

This bears repeating. In particular, zones 2/3 South London - places like Lewisham, Catford and so on - you can be in central London in 15-20 minutes no worries, but you're far out enough for prices to take quite a drop.

edit: And most of them tend to have plenty of train lines. Also, if she and yourself are of a mind to have some late nights out in London once you're settled in, being close to a good night bus mightn't be a bad plan.

Cheers for this info lads and Peat I won't be too far behind ha. I'll let you show me the hotspots. And we were looking at that trying to rent within zones 2/3 but which side depends on the job location too which I suppose is hard.
Ill bring the barrels of guiness too (the real stuff) :p

Last edited:
You'll be pleased to know the Guinness over here is now the proper stuff brewed in Dublin, no longer that licensed shite they were knocking off in Battersea.

You'll be pleased to know the Guinness over here is now the proper stuff brewed in Dublin, no longer that licensed shite they were knocking off in Battersea.
Thank god for that was always surprised how bad drink was in UK from taps. It like ye got knock offs.

Latest posts