• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moving to No.8

L

Lofty90

Hi Guys,

just to introduce myself i'm Scott and I currently play for my University and a team competing in Hampshire 1. I am 6' 5" and way around 18st.

I currently play lock but this position is leaving me less and less satisfied, and I have decided that I wish to move to No.8.

I have concluded that in order to make the successful transition I should be looking to loose about 2st in fat - which is easily achievable, and work tirelessly on my acceleration, sprinting and agility.

I am basically posting on here to try and gain some further knowledge and ideas on what could help me make my move to No.8. I plan to play out the rest of the season at Lock and then use the summer to condition myself to play 8.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Scott.

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50455

May be of some help.

As you can read (if you're very bored) I ended up becoming more of a blindside flanker than a Number 8, although I would say these skills are useful from brief experience (you probably know this already but it makes me feel important)

1) Communication. Even if you're not the Captain, you and the scrum half are key link men.
2) Control at base of scrum, doing that thing where you stick your arse out, getting low, picking up and surging forward.
3) Passing, or more accurately, passing out of the tackle.
4) Increased tackle count.
5) Possibly operating as a sweeper, though check with your coach first.
6) Probably become more of a ball carrier.
7) Generally, you are a ‘looser’ player, so slightly more focus on speed and agility, over pure strength.

I enjoy back row a lot more, hopefully you will too. Talking to your coach, older players (though that may be a problem at University), and watching rugby in general will also help.

Good luck, ask questions, and I will tell you what you already know.

All I can say is look to the unmatchable Sebestian Chabal, who can rotate from 2nd Row to #8 effortlessly.
I agree, trimming down body fat will help (heck, it would help you if you stayed at 4 or 5 too, to be honest). Don't lose muscle. Keep it and try to increase it. Add some Powerlifting/Olympic lifts to your routine as well as sprinting and fartlek. You want to be a hard hitting missle off the back of the scrum. If you have some more specific training related questions post them back. Good Luck to you.

Latest posts