• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moving to scrum half

Easdon

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Alreet folks, pretty much as the ***le suggests I'm thinking about a move to scrum half. I've been out the game for a few years now but I played from when I was 8 to when I was 17 (I'm 20 now). I started off as second row when I was young then moved to flanker as folk got taller and I got better defensively and in the rucks. I was injured when I went to Uni 3 years ago and took a break for most of that time, played a couple games over christmas at flanker but I'm only 5'10" so not a great height to play back row at a good level anymore.

I know a fair amount about getting back on track physically (bearing in mind I've been out of most sport for a few years, I'm not in excellent shape ;)) so I know that I've got a lot of work to do there but it's technique I'm wondering about. Anyone got any good passing/kicking drills? Or anything that I should focus on technique-wise?

I'm aiming to try out for the Uni team come September so I've got a few months to play with and start getting back to playing condition - just wondering if folk have any tips, cheers!

I used to be a SH and one of the drills I used to do for passing was to get a car tyre stick a ball inside it and try to get the pass away as quick as possible and hit a target on a wall or the post or something. Hope it helps.

OR you could stay as a backrow you don't always need to be huge and if you work on strength resistance you still be strong at the ruck. Neil back was only 5'10 and george smith was only 5'11. That would be my advise

cmac's drill is a good one. One I've seen the Ulster boys do in in practice is just put the ball onto the floor, run up to it and pass it to a waiting man, run back to a cone, run back etc.etc.

Basically, getting to that breakdown and passing it accurately are the main ones. Practice your box kicking too if you can.

The main trait you need to be a scrum-half succesfully from what I've seen is to be a horrendous human being who tries to ref the game.

I like to use tennis balls to practice throwing from the ground from both hands. Passing accurately and fast from both sides is the biggest thing. Also, plyometrics for quickness is something I believe is important incase you see a gap and definitely conditioning, you'll always have to be the rucks.

Latest posts