Muliaina Arrested

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Former All Black Mils Muliaina has been bailed after being arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.

The 34-year-old, who plays for Irish club Connacht, is suspected of involvement in an incident in Cardiff last month and has reportedly denied the allegation.
Muliaina was shown on television being taken away from Kingsholm Stadium by police after the final whistle of his team's European Challenge Cup quarter-final in Gloucester on Friday night.
Gloucestershire police, who made the arrest, had handed Muliaina to South Wales police officers.
A South Wales police spokesman said: "A 34-year-old man from the Galway area in the Irish Republic has been arrested on suspicion of committing a sexual assault.
"He has been released on police bail pending further investigation."
Details of the incident have not been confirmed. Muliaina was in the Welsh capital playing for Connacht against Cardiff Blues on March 6.
His Cardiff-based solicitor Matthew de Maid told TVNZ the former fullback denies the allegation.
"He's totally denied the allegation that has been made, he's not been charged with any offence and has in fact been released whilst police carry out further investigation."
Muliaina earned 100 caps in a nine-year Test career before retiring in 2011.
He signed a one-year deal with Connacht last year and will leave for Italian side Zebre at the end of this season.
In a statement released to media, Connacht confirmed it was assisting police with enquiries.
South Wales police said on Friday the arrest was on suspicion only and no charges had been laid at that stage.
Reports suggested Muliaina was arrested when the team travelled to Gloucester as an extradition order would have been needed if he were in Ireland.

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/26941025/mils-muliaina-released-on-bail/

Hasn't been brought up yet that I've seen.

Terrible if the allegations are true - seems very strange considering his very positive public image and reputation. Obviously don't want to speculate.

It was discussed in the Match thread (European challenge cup), he was arrested after the Gloucester game...

Lads he's out on bail. Due in to Shannon today and well is innocent until proven guilty. I don't know much but I think it's kind of a disgrace that it wasn't done discreetly as he's still innocent until proven guilty

False allegations occur an awful lot. I like to assume that this was one of these instances.

The term sexual assault is very ambiguous. It can mean many different things. Either way I find it odd that he was not arrested before the match, or even at the team hotel - at least it would have been less obvious due to his high profile nature

As others have stated, hope he wasn't involved in what has been alleged. He seems to be a great guy who has awesome leadership skills and is a veteran of the game. I'm not sure it'd be wise to assume anything at this stage, or even assume this has been made up. Innocent until proven guilty, sure. But not immune to actually doing it because you're on television. A lot of false allegations might well happen, but so do girls not getting believed and ridiculed. Not saying Mills has done anything at all, but as a society I don't think we should imply anyone is a liar until evidence or witnesses have come out.

Last edited:
Be very surprised if these allegations turned out to be correct.

one of the last players you would expect to be involved in something like this.

any more info on what exactly is being alleged?

Found it interesting they straight up arrested him, thought the norm was to "question in relation too"

No more information that I can see. Such a strange situation.

No more information that I can see. Such a strange situation.

it's not really, it all seems pretty routine.

He's been questioned but not charged; they wont' release details of the situation until they either have someone arrested or drop the investigation. He's been released on bail due to his job and the fact he has to cross borders a lot. It's better for all involved that details aren't released to the public to protect both the victim and the Muliaina.

I find it incredible people are essentially proclaiming his innocence on the basis "he's a nice guy", that's not to say he's automatically guilty and of course innoncent until proven etc... but the police have a duty to investigate these things, and too many assaults get overlooked for fear of not being belived etc... so it's just gotta run it's course now.

it's not really, it all seems pretty routine.

He's been questioned but not charged; they wont' release details of the situation until they either have someone arrested or drop the investigation. He's been released on bail due to his job and the fact he has to cross borders a lot. It's better for all involved that details aren't released to the public to protect both the victim and the Muliaina.

I find it incredible people are essentially proclaiming his innocence on the basis "he's a nice guy", that's not to say he's automatically guilty and of course innoncent until proven etc... but the police have a duty to investigate these things, and too many assaults get overlooked for fear of not being belived etc... so it's just gotta run it's course now.

What people?

People have said it would be surprising to learn it is true, due to it is in sharp contrast to his image as a family man and ultimate professional. No one is suggesting anything should be dropped or not taken seriously.

When I said it was a strange situation I was more referring Muliaina being arrested in a very public setting, and no leaked details surrounding the charge (which tends to happen when there is intense public scrutiny).

When I said it was a strange situation I was more referring Muliaina being arrested in a very public setting, and no leaked details surrounding the charge (which tends to happen when there is intense public scrutiny).
Extremely rarely in the UK details only get leaked investigating officers want it to be (or the press already know about something and the police don't want details to be released too soon) and they can become very problematic if they do.

People have said it would be surprising to learn it is true, due to it is in sharp contrast to his image as a family man and ultimate professional. No one is suggesting anything should be dropped or not taken seriously.

The amazing family man that left his wife and kids and shacked up with a woman in Ireland? that amazing family man?

- - - Updated - - -

Extremely rarely in the UK details only get leaked investigating officers want it to be (or the press already know about something and the police don't want details to be released too soon) and they can become very problematic if they do.

also, i think they underestimate how uninteresting this story actually is for the British Press - no one is interested in Rugby, if it was a footballer it'd be out.

Don't know where you got your info but I think Mils family are here in Ireland and Bundee Aki lives with them in some area the countryside of Salthill. He's not shacked up with any other woman. His family and him were down in Thomond Park to watch game 2 weeks ago.

Edit just discovered that wasn't his wife but was his son. She wasn't irish though

Last edited:
Don't know where you got your info but I think Mils family are here in Ireland and Bundee Aki lives with them in some area the countryside of Salthill. He's not shacked up with any other woman. His family and him were down in Thomond Park to watch game 2 weeks ago.

Edit just discovered that wasn't his wife but was his son. She wasn't irish though

it's been in pretty much every newspaper article, that his estranged wife is not giving interviews etc... and that he has a new partner in Ireland, i also never said she was Irish i said in Ireland.

it's been in pretty much every newspaper article, that his estranged wife is not giving interviews etc... and that he has a new partner in Ireland, i also never said she was Irish i said in Ireland.

Interesting, I'd never heard this before!

Latest posts