Club or Nation
Sale
Heineken%20Cup.png

Thomond Park (18/12/2011, 12:45)
Munster.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Scarlets.png

Live on Sky Sports​

If Scarlets can up their game, and with North back I think they've got a genuine chance of sneaking a win here. That seems like a silly thing to say when Munster are 4 from 4 in the HC ( and 14 from 14 versus the Scarlets in all competitions) and have just turned the Scarlets over at Parc Y Scarlets, but I still don't think this Munster side is playing that well. The Scarlets are much better than last weeks performance, especially in the backs where very few players performed. Munster obviously start as favourites though.

If Scarlets can up their game, and with North back I think they've got a genuine chance of sneaking a win here. That seems like a silly thing to say when Munster are 4 from 4 in the HC ( and 14 from 14 versus the Scarlets in all competitions) and have just turned the Scarlets over at Parc Y Scarlets, but I still don't think this Munster side is playing that well. The Scarlets are much better than last weeks performance, especially in the backs where very few players performed. Munster obviously start as favourites though.

I agree, they were lucky to win against the Saints and only just managed a win against a second string Castres. The media and especially skysports are going on about the experience of Munster winning them there matches but bar O'Connell and ROG this Munster side isn't experienced at all. I do think they'll win on the weekend but I reckon once they come up against the big sides they'll get tonked.

Last edited:
O'Connell and BJ Botha were the two most important players for Munster last week. The Scarlets must compete better at the scrum this week, because Munster gained momentum through the scrum last week. Jon Davies needs to up his game massively from his poor performance, because he's a key player for the Scarlets, and should be causing all kinds of hell for O'Gara as Lamont and McCusker managed for periods of the game. North really should help in this regard aswell. I'm sure he'll be unleashed down O'Gara's channell at every opportunity.

I can't see Munster having as poor a start as they did last week again though, ultimately the Scarlets failed to take enough advantage of that.

Scarlets: Rhys Priestland; Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Jon Davies, Sean Lamont; Stephen Jones, Gareth Davies; Rhodri Jones, Matthew Rees (capt), Rhys Thomas, Lou Reed, Damian Welch, Rob McCusker, Johnathan Edwards, Ben Morgan.
Replacements: Ken Owens, Phil John, Deacon Manu, Sione Timani, Kieran Murphy, Tavis Knoyle, Gareth Maule, Viliame Iongi.

North out again. Can't believe a dead-leg has cept him out for over two weeks! Big blow for the Scarlets again. Iestyn Thomas is also out. He had a tough time in the scrum last week, hopefully Rhodri Jones can do a better job in that regard tomorrow.

Priestland switches to fullback with Jones at 10. A little surprised Iongi isn't starting.

Last edited:
Clearly Munster still haven't solved their midfield problem and I don't know why Keatley isn't given an opportunity there.

While the whole targeting O'Gara channel thing doesn't really cause me any concern, it's not exactly like Munster haven't dealt with that one before (Just get the Br to do the Wallace job of shutting his channel down...), playing Keatley and O'Gara adds a lot more defensive weakness down the 10-12 channel, granted Earls is not perfect down the no.13 channel either.

I think the only thing that'll see Munster home tomorrow is the home crowd. Very week backline, defensively questionable in the middle of the park and though Niall Ronan is in his best form in years I'm not sold on the strength of that backrow.

Munster 19 - 13 Scarlets.

Ref certainly helped Munster along by calling every second pass by the Scarlets forwards when most of them were flat. Tomas O'Leary did however do his best to throw the match, which went some way to evening things out.

Scarlets for all their possession and line breaks just weren't clinical enough.

Northampton crushing Castre means the frenchies will probably roll over and hand Munster five points in Thomand leaving Munster qualified when the arrive at Stadium MK Northampton. Scarlets meanwhile will be hoping to take 5 in France against a Castre side that won't give a toss and if they can get a win against the Saints in Wales might well qualify as runners up on 20 points.

That's my take on it anyway.

Edit: The only really great thing about Munster was Murray, who was brilliant.

Munster desperately need Jones and Howlett back. They don't look in anyway dangerous in attack. As soon as the ball gets beyond the half backs they're not at all dangerous. Mafi was a joke today, Earls is clearly not fit to be a 13 and Hurley isnt Heineken Cup standard. Zebo has some potential at least. They're very lucky to be in this position. If they get a home quarter they'll be very lucky.

Last edited:
I thought Zebo was brilliant , he made good ground with what poor ball he got and defensively looked solid.

Latest posts