An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Munster.png
Cardiff.png

Munster v Cardiff Blues
Venue: Musgrave Park, Saturday, 20 September 2008
Kickoff: 19:30, Live - Setanta/S4C
</div>

Ordinarily you'd have had this down as one of the possible key matches in determining the destination of the ***le but given how poor the Blues have looked you'd be thinking again in fairness. Munster have looked comfortable while never having to go into top gear in their 2 wins and you'd expect more of the same on Saturday evening at Musgrave Park.

Alan Quinlan has been brought into the squad for the game and John Hayes is also back in the side for the visit of the Blues.

Dai Young has made sweeping changes to the team which spluttered to victory over Ulster last Friday, Robin Sowden Taylor and Richard Mustoe have come in for the injured Martyn Williams and Leigh Halfpenny. Jamie Roberts is back at inside centre alongside Ceri Sweeney, Jason Spice, Gareth Williams, Taufa'ao Filise and Andy Powell.

The Blues will be hoping to continue their winning streak against the Heineken Cup champions but that may prove a tall order given the relative form of both sides.

I'm hoping that the man who does the teletext on RTE is wrong but it informed me this morning of the squad and there's no Keith Earls. But lets wait for the proper website news before I go getting annoyed.

Nice to see Alan quinlan back. He always makes everything more interesting.

No they're not wrong but McGahan is just resting him, they don't seem too keen on overly exposing him at the moment, they even held him back from the post match interview on Setanta, so nothing really out of order on RTÉ

I think ti's a bit much to be doing that at this point in the season. You don't see Fitzgerald or Kearney getting rested (though Kearney's benched for the match tomorrow I think). I yhink Earls should be given as much exposure as possible now to see if he's ready for Hcup an International.

But I suppose if he starts against Leinster we'll see if he's strong enough yet for HCup and if he does well there he's passing the test for International.

I don't think it's the right move either as it could take some of the momentum he's gained from the early games, although given the players that are coming in and that fact that McGahan wants to give as many as he can game time before the Heineken Cup then it is understandable to that extent, although why not rest Dowling then.

Team named:
D Hurley; D Howlett, L Mafi, R Tipoki, I Dowling; R O'Gara, P Stringer; T Buckley, J Flannery, J Hayes; P O'Connell capt, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, N Ronan, J Melck; Replacements: D Fogarty, F Pucciariello, J O'Sullivan, A Quinlan, M Prendergast, J Manning, B Murphy.

Looks like he's trying to give everyone a couple of runs before the Heineken Cup. fairly balanced looking team. Hopefully we see a full strength team for the Leinster match. Nice to see Hayes and Quinlan back.

You can be sure it'll be full strength teams at the RDS but on the whole a good side for this weekend and should get the job done.

Can't see the Blues winning this - looks like our run of league success at musgrave is over. If the Blues finally manage to click together, then maybe they have an outside chance, but somehow I doubt it. They're really missing Xavier Rush and Tom James, and now that Martyn Williams is out, things are looking even worse...

I think had Williams been there that would have made a huge difference especially as it's not the most experienced Munster backrow but unfortunate for Williams.

aye, unfortunate for the Blues too - just glad it's nto too serious and he'll be fit well before the Wales Internationals
Sowden-Taylor just doesn't cut imo.

Munster 28 - 10 Cardiff Blues

Great game, spoiled by terrible refereeing. The referee was in-consistent, especially when it came to players off their feet/'shielding' (one of Munsters specialties). Sowden-Taylors yellow was ridiculous, considering 1)the Blues hadn't really been penalised much in that area beforehand, and 2) Sowden-Taylor was on his feet trying to rip the ball off an isolated runner, who wasn't on his feet, and was doing that for more than long enough to win a penalty to the Blues, but Munster get the penalty and he's in teh bin for 10? pretty much that card changed the game, so I;m a bit peed off about it.
but some great tries by Munster (even if the last one was handed on a plate by a poor line out) so fair play.

both this game and the Leinster - Ospreys and Munster - Dragons match have raised concerns for me about the ELV's. In all those matches the losing sides had much more possesion and territory than the winners, which seems stupid, because territory and possesion is supposed to be the basis of winning games, but it seems that ever since the ELV's have come in, teams get more of an advantage playing defensive rugby, than attacking rugby.

I agree that the ref was poor.He let the Munster pack get away with murder at the breakdown from the first minute.You have to take your hat off to them though the amount of counter rucking they got through was unreal.The binning of RST was a silly call after the amount of times Munster done the same thing.Its just the inconsistency that riles people up.I thought the blues were well in the game up til that point.The Blues are certainly missing Tom James.This was despite the officials another cracking game of rugby.

I missed the majority of this game, tuned in around the 55min mark, just when the blues started f***ing everything up / Munster started playing some very good rugby. My Dad filled me in on the rest, saying the same as those above, that the yellow card was totally unwarranted and changed the game completely. Poor to see the terrible reffing in the Magners continue.

Saying that, I thought Munster looked very good in the play I saw, spreading the ball wide at the right times with some devastating effect, whilst the Blues looked very laboured in attack, not getting the ball wide enough often enough. The game was still there for the taking, but the Blues' forwards played into Munsters hands trying to take them on even though they were a man down up front, they susequently tuened over the ball twice within Munsters 22, poor leadership.

Pretty obvious last season that Munster were building toward a wider game.

Didn't see this one because my virgin record is on the blink the last few weeks. How did O'Sullivan play when he came on?

p.s. AFAIK, my record with virgins is just one. Was talking about set-top technology.

Lads I think I need to see the sin binning again because what I saw leaning on the barrier behind the goal posts literally metres away was a professional foul 3 metres from the Blues try line. I agree that the Referee was poor and inconsistent but I thought the sin binning was fair enough.

Why did Denis Hurley stay on after taking that knock? He only damaged his reputation by playing injured after a good first half.

I thought Melck was brilliant. He doesn't have a journeyman attitude at all and seems to be using the three months to showcase his skills and find a club in Europe. Wouldn't mind it one bit if he stayed here.

Latest posts