• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Connacht

Connacht has everybody right where they want em, it's all part of the master plan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 18 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 18 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 19 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doug was excellent too, although I was disappointed he didn't back himself in the build up to Freddie's try.[/b]
Didn't see the game, but that looks like his trademark - set it up, rather than going for it. Wisdom of years and all that, but ...

How did Keatley do?
[/b][/quote]

He was only so-so today. But when the Connacht pack wasn't on the backfoot his distribution was excellent. Kicked well in the first half. But his kicking to touch in the second half was very iffy.
[/b][/quote]
That's a good assessment of Keatley in yesterday's game and this season in general.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 19 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Apr 19 2009, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 18 2009, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be watching Cronin, Keatley and Carr with interest as it is my hope that a couple of those guys will end up at Munser at some stage![/b]

<_<

By this do you hope that Munster get to poach these players in the future? How is that good for Irish and Connacht rugby?

[/b][/quote]

Most of the decent Connacht players a those that were in the acedemies in the other provinces and didn't yet have a realistic oppertunity for first team rugby in that province whether it be because there's alot of competition in that particular position or because that position needs more maturity or experience than they can get in an academy setting. So they're shipped off to Connacht to gain experience. So for example Keatley is from Leinster and Cronin from Munster (as far as I'm aware).

Connacht is hence a 'development region. They recieve about half the funding that the other provinces get. Seems a bit harsh but Connacht is very sparesly populated and doesn't really have the same potential for growth as the other provinces and I don't think the IRFU or player pool could realisticaly support 4 provinces. Hence the idea is 3 strong teams + developement team.

That's how it's good for Irish rugby and it's good for Connachy rugby because they'd be in a worse state if they didn't have the players sent over for development.

:) I hope my answer suffices.
[/b][/quote]
Both of you raise good points. Connacht are limited by producing very few of their own players, poor crowds, dire facilities and largely pathetic results.

The IRFU could fund Connacht to a greater extent. In player development terms, IRFU funding has lead to a few Connacht bred players making their 1st team squad. Ronan Loughney, Andrew Browne, Johnny O'Connor, John Muldoon and Gavin Duffy are all regulars in their matchday squads. In an u20 international this weekend, 3 Connacht players featured in the Ireland 22 which is more than the number which Ulster contributed. One of the star players in the Ireland u18 squad is a 2nd row from Connacht called Aaron Spring who's a year younger than most of his teammates. Connacht are developing some of their own players thanks to IRFU funding (they still get less than the other provinces though) which is a big step in the right direction.

The problem they face is that the rest of their squad has made up of "mercenaries" who were angling for a spot with a better club. Basically, if Connacht pick up a good player (a la Paul Warrick, Jerry Flannery, Eoin Reddan, Ray Hogan, Tony Buckley, Stephen Knoop, Bernard Jackman, John Fogarty, Damien Browne, James Downey), they'll likely lose him to a bigger team. Signs are that this is changing slowly though. Most of their squad are still under contract next season with only Andrew Farley of their starting XV destined to leave. Thier starting XV is of a decent standard but once they suffer an injury or two, they've no depth to cover for it. If they can boost their squad by maybe 5 more players of sufficient quality, results should improve to a degree. They need to move from their present home ground and probably get an influx of new coaching ideas too.

If I was Bradley I would rather have a Paul Warrick, Jerry Flannery, Eoin Reddan, Ray Hogan, Tony Buckley, Stephen Knoop, Bernard Jackman, John Fogarty, Damien Browne or James Downey for a season or two than a guy like Troy Nathan around for the long term. It is is Connacht's interest to bring those guys to Connacht even though they know they can't keep them.

Latest posts