• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Leinster

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Munster.png
Leinster.png

Munster v Leinster</div>

Munster welcome Leinster to Thomond Park in this top of the table clash, Leinster may have won the corresponding fixture last season but in the league Munster's tails are definitely up and they'll start warm favourites to win this match and all but secure the league ***le.

Leinster have decided to rest Brian O'Driscoll, so Horgan will partner D'Arcy in the centre, Kearney moves to the wing with Dempsey in at fullback. Luke Fitzgerald wasn't named either so it'll be interesting to see if that's down to his injury or is he being rested ahead of the Quins game.

Munster have included all their internationals in their squad but whether they'll all start remains to be seen.

Depending on their team I'd still have Munster as warm favourites to win by at least a score.

Horgan in the Centre? Good news, Mafi can handle the boshing, Earls Vs Darcy should be good!

Munster are pretty much at full strength with only Leamy missing out, not sure if he picked up an injury but given how the backrow played against Glasgow it's hardly a weakness to exploit, even though I'd give Leinster the edge in that battle.

Dowling returning is a boost ahead of next week as well.

Munster: P Warwick, D Howlett, K Earls, L Mafi, I Dowling, R O'Gara, T O'Leary, M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell (capt), A Quinlan, N Ronan, D Wallace. Replacements : D Fogarty, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, P Stringer, B Murphy, D Hurley

Leinster: G Dempsey, I Nacewa, G D'Arcy, S Horgan, R Kearney, F Contepomi, C Whitaker, C Healy, B Jackman, S Wright, L Cullen (capt), M O'Kelly, R Elsom, S Jennings, J Heaslip. Replacements (from) : J Fogarty, O le Roux, R McCormack, T Hogan, C Jowitt, S O'Brien, C Keane, J Sexton, S Keogh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Munster are pretty much at full strength with only Leamy missing out, not sure if he picked up an injury but given how the backrow played against Glasgow it's hardly a weakness to exploit, even though I'd give Leinster the edge in that battle.

Munster: P Warwick, D Howlett, K Earls, L Mafi, I Dowling, R O'Gara, T O'Leary, M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell (capt), A Quinlan, N Ronan, D Wallace. Replacements : D Fogarty, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, P Stringer, B Murphy, D Hurley

Leinster: G Dempsey, I Nacewa, G D'Arcy, S Horgan, R Kearney, F Contepomi, C Whitaker, C Healy, B Jackman, S Wright, L Cullen (capt), M O'Kelly, R Elsom, S Jennings, J Heaslip. Replacements (from) : J Fogarty, O le Roux, R McCormack, T Hogan, C Jowitt, S O'Brien, C Keane, J Sexton, S Keogh[/b]
Munster's team looks far stronger - it's virtually a full team whereas Leinster have juggled their lineup in the absence of Fitzgerald, BOD and van der Linde.

Looking at the Leinster team, I read a few things with the Heineken Cup quarter final in mind. Fitzgerald won't make the Quins game. If he was likely to play, Leinster would just plug Keogh or Nacewa into the 11 shirt rather than having Kearney at 11 and Dempsey at fullback. We're looking at a back three of Dempsey, Kearney and Nacewa on Sunday week. Cheika wants to get as close to the 15 for Quins as possible in this game. Horgan will be dropped in favour of O'Driscoll. He's been given a shot in the centre to get him up to speed since he'll cover that position (and wing) in 10 or so days time. Van Der Linde is out of the Quins game - why else wold they call up Ollie Le Roux? He's hardly just arrived to provide a bench option in a Magners League game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Apr 3 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leinster: G Dempsey, I Nacewa, G D'Arcy, S Horgan, R Kearney, F Contepomi, C Whitaker, C Healy, B Jackman, S Wright, L Cullen (capt), M O'Kelly, R Elsom, S Jennings, J Heaslip. Replacements (from) : J Fogarty, O le Roux, R McCormack, T Hogan, C Jowitt, S O'Brien, C Keane, J Sexton, S Keogh[/b]
Munsters team looks far stronger - it's virtually a full team whereas Leinster have juggled their lineup in the absence of Fitzgerald, BOD and van der Linde.

Looking at the Leinster team, I read a few things with the Heineken Cup quarter final in mind. Fitzgerald won't make the Quins game. If he was likely to play, Leinster would just plug Keogh or Nacewa into the 11 shirt rather than having Kearney at 11 and Dempsey at fullback. We're looking at a back three of Dempsey, Kearney and Nacewa on Sunday week. Cheika wants to get as close to the 15 for Quins as possible in this game. Horgan will be dropped in favour of O'Driscoll. He's been given a shot in the centre to get him up to speed since he'll cover that position (and wing) in 10 or so days time. Van Der Linde is out of the Quins game - why else wold they call up Ollie Le Roux? He's hardly just arrived to provide a bench option in a Magners League game.
[/b][/quote]

well Le Roux was registered before the last round of the HEC as far as I know so he was probably gonna be kept on once we'd qualified, hopefully he's a bit fitter than he was and won't be needing a XXXXXL jersey.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well Le Roux was registered before the last round of the HEC as far as I know so he was probably gonna be kept on once we'd qualified, hopefully he's a bit fitter than he was and won't be needing a XXXXXL jersey.[/b]
Both Le Roux and David Holwell were registered for the group stage of the Heineken Cup and thus they're still registered for the knockout rounds. However both players were only to be called upon in case of an injury crisis, otherwise they'd stay at home. In my opinion, and I'm only guessing, Le Roux has been flown over because Leinster doubt CJvdL will be fit for the quarter final. They want to get him match fit, or as match fit as Ollie Le Roux will ever be!

at least the one positive coming out of this is that Nacewa isn't being considered at 10, would have been quite easy for Cheika to put Contepomi alongside D'Arcy in the centre and move Ica back into 10, think he can do more damage from the wing, looked sharp at times on Sunday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
at least the one positive coming out of this is that Nacewa isn't being considered at 10, would have been quite easy for Cheika to put Contepomi alongside D'Arcy in the centre and move Ica back into 10, think he can do more damage from the wing, looked sharp at times on Sunday.[/b]
I fully agree. Contepomi will get 50 minutes at outhalf before shifting to the centre with Sexton coming on at 10. That has worked a treat for Leinster in recent games.

Speaking of Nacewa, he's looked sharp since moving to the wing.

in a way I'm not overly bothered by CJ missing out, he's been injured more often than not, granted he's a class player but it's good that Healy is likely to get a go at Quins on Sunday, his form has been outstanding in open play and his scrummaging has come on in leaps and bounds.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 3 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
in a way I'm not overly bothered by CJ missing out, he's been injured more often than not, granted he's a class player but it's good that Healy is likely to get a go at Quins on Sunday, his form has been outstanding in open play and his scrummaging has come on in leaps and bounds.[/b]
Again, I fully agree. Healy has taken his chance this year. Like you say, his scrummaging has improved quite a bit. He'll never be a destructive scrummager but he's stood up well to most opponents this season, most notably BJ Botha on a couple of occasions.

What should Happen:

Tight Five will win it for Munster. Like in the RDS, We will dominate scrum, line out, possession and the scoreboard. Paddy Power have us by 7, it could be more.

What Will Happen:

Who the f*** knows, just hoping for a good game and no injuries for either side. Hope Healy does okay against the Bull too, although I wouldn't bet on it even after last week. Hopefully Earls defensive display last week was a once off, because he will have to be at his best against Darce.

Horgan centre? What a disaster (for Leinster that is, I couldn't be happier). I'd rather have Barry Murphy, the great under-rated player of our time at centre than Horgan.

its actually not that bad. leinster have missed 3 kicks, two of which should have been nailed

Contepomi................AGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never ever play him against munster again dear god!

Great win by Munster fully deserved. Cian Healy is very impressive. Hopefully he'll get a few runs out for ireland in the summer.

And hopefully Sexton will get cited for trying to kick Mafi in the face. Luckily though he luves upto his reputation and its a poor kick.

Earls try was nice but was disappointed by Kearney's defence. Barrmy Murphy was impressive as usual to set up the second try. Nice to see D'Arcy scoring and good work by Horgan(?) to put him in. Hopefully Bod back next week will pull thenm together and see them past Nick Evans...I mean Quins.

And hopefully O'Gara has mastered putting two consecutive performances in and Munster will beat Leinster...so we can have them again in the semis :).

Latest posts