Club or Nation
Leinster
Munster v Northampton
Venue: Thomond Park
Date: Saturday 10 April 2010
Kickoff: 17:30
Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)
Live Coverage: Sky Sports 2/Sky Italia

Yet again we have a situation where teams from the same pool meet again in the knockout stages with a win for the home side on both occasion, will Saturday be true to form or will the Saints become the first team to win a knockout game at Thomond.

Munster should have Paul O'Connell back after he missed the Leinster game, they'll be hoping the same for Keith Earls as well, especially since Mafi didn't set the world alight on Good Friday.

Confidence should be sky high for the Saints as they return to Thomond, 4 wins on the spin including wins over Leicester and Wasps, albeit at home but still nothing to laugh at. They also had the beating of Munster in the pool game so they know full well they're capable of going to Thomond and getting the win.

Personally I won't be surprised if Munster win but given their form you wouldn't be surprised if Saints get through either.

Hopefully it's as memorable as the first, and more memorable than the second group match.

Looking forward to seeing Geraghty and O'Gara lock horns - hopefully the England man can get the advantage.

The lineout will be crucial, Kruger/Lawes vs. O'Connell/O'Callaghan should be interesting. Here's to the youngster Lawes putting in a big performance to force his way onto the plane to Australia.

Cummon the Saints!

Can't wait for this, should be a cracker. Saints have been on great form. I'd like to think Munster will be disheartened after the loss to Leinster, but it'll just make them more determined if anything.

Come on you Saints!

Think this game will be decided by the two fly-halves.Just hope ROG doesn't have one of his "epic fail" days:rolleyes:

And may Geraghty throw a long loopy pass in the dying minutes:D;)

Munster aren't playing well at the moment and are becoming quite long in the tooth. In many ways they remind me of the France team in the 2006 football World Cup in that despite their flaws, their undoubted pedigree can claw them to victory on any given occasion. For that reason I think Munster will win quite comfortably. 20-10 to the home team. Jean De Villiers is playing really well at present and I think he could prove the major difference between the sides.

Hopefully it's as memorable as the first, and more memorable than the second group match.

Looking forward to seeing Geraghty and O'Gara lock horns - hopefully the England man can get the advantage.

The lineout will be crucial, Kruger/Lawes vs. O'Connell/O'Callaghan should be interesting. Here's to the youngster Lawes putting in a big performance to force his way onto the plane to Australia.

Cummon the Saints!

English? Who?
geraghtyshane3_000.jpg

Lads Munster aren't playing well but well there have been times in past we were in worst form and got job done!

Yes the Leinster game hurt us but in a way it could be a blessing. ROG really only started to find his form in January and is in much better shape now than then.
And also fact is Munster are the most experienced team in QF's and if anyone know's how to get job done it is them.
Also I glad Saints have rattled us in past and are still going well because Munster will know nothing can be taking from granted and every inch earned will be done so the hard way.

Flannery back, having missed previous game, will be a massive boost and there is 1 thing Munster need to do. - Get back playing way we did so well before. (Not fancy off-loading but tight and powerful)
We dont need to win pretty and if it a 6-5 boring game i'll be happy.

Earls and Paulie will be massive players to welcome back and Paulie and DOC will really be bitter after last few weeks and what happened agaist Saints in pool.
I'm actually happy at point we're at going in to this game, Come On Munster !!!

Also Feicarsinn ... Brilliant with Geraghty :) :) :)

Not a plastic paddy but plastic Brit :p

...We had him first. Of course I don't blame him. It's alot easier to get a game for England than for our lot ;)

Dunno where they got their info from,but people today on the terrace for the reserves match at Saints claim that Earles and O'Connell are certainly out while Jerry Thuggery is definitely back. Which is like 3 little boosts for Saints, except for all the penalties O'Connell would present to Northampton for being his usual gobby ********.

Sadly, Nigel "Typically Welsh and hates the English" Owens hasn't accidentally cut his own feet off yet so will surely be awarding Munster the benefit of the doubt for every 50/50 call he can.

Form is with the Saints going in. Wasps and Leeds both asked a lot of questions which were answered by not conceding a try since the LV cup final perfectly. Also must remember that Saints won't be rattled by Thomund Part this time... Been there, Done that.

Supposedly we're taking 5-6 thousand people over, I'll be in Clohessy's Bar handing free Saints flags out to anyone I find in BG&G tops (there are 3500 of the buggers to give away.... 3.5 cubic metres of boxes!) before the match.

On the Squads themselves, the key positions IMO will be hooker, openside and fly-half, if Best and Geraghty/Myler have good days, Saints should be able to strangle the life from the life out of the home side.... Best is in good form but both 10s are blowing hot and cold. Hartley picked up an injury with England and is maybe doubtful, but looked fine when I saw him wandering around at Franklins Gardens earlier today. Otherwise from those 3 slots, man for man I'd honestly put Saints to have the edge.

Mefinks Saints shall look like:

1. Tonga'uiha
2. Hartley/Sharman
3. Murray/Mujati
4. Kruger
5. Lawes/Lobbe
6. Dowson
7. Best
8. Wilson
9. Dickson
10. Geraghty/Myler
11. Reihana
12. Downey
13. Clarke
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Sharman/Long
17. Mujati/Morris
18. Dreyer
19. Lobbe/Cannon
20. Easter/Hopley
21. Dickson
22. Myler/Geraghty
23. Diggin/Ansbro

I won't be surprised if we nick it. Going in, I'd rather have the last match being a dogged away win against a team fighting for their lives rather then a loss to your nearest and dearest on your own cabbage patch. If Lawes and Besty can upset O'Gara early, he'll do his usual trick which will provide Foden all the possession he can dream of. We all know what happens when that occurs... If it worrys the French, it'll worry anyone!

That all said however... If Saints only turn it on for the 2nd half like they're prone to doing, it may be all over before they wake up. Coming out firing from the start is absolutely vital.

Paul Warwick once again is the key to any success Munster will have. He saved their bacon in the group game and is clearly their best player.

Either way it goes, I doubt there'll be more then a few points between them at the end. Saints have the form, but I know just how much home ground advantage counts.

munster are under preasure and thats when they play their best. so I can see them just nicking it. the results against leeds and wasps will not be taken as positives and munster will look to capitilise where other teams haven't. northampton are in great form but I can see them realistickly cancetrating on the guiness premiership which i'm sure they will win.

Bullitt, Paulie is on training field today so we can rule out his absense along with Earls as everyone in Munster know's REAL reason both missed Leinster game is both had groin nigles nothing serious but a very bad stomach bug. Both will be ready for Saturday :D
And as for Flannery been weak I think even Leinster fans would agree he was 1 of best players on pitch last Friday and was the pick of a few although Heaslip was head Shoulders and alot more above everyone else. Flannery was in top 4/5 players on pitch.

And it hard comparing (a win against a Glasgow side and a narrow loss against H'Cup Champions (both had near Full strength teams and on form) to a Wasps side that are unpredictable and a Leeds side that aren't great.

On to the match, if Geraghty starts then Saints will be at weakness already as Munster will know his style and have it covered while he hasn't temperment for type of game it will be.
This game will be decided by kicks and Myler (if playing) can have a major say in that department.

As for Neil Best, this is 1stadium he has always shyed away, even when with Ulster.
ROG is playing great stuff at moment.

And any chance of a souvenir flag :)

Bullitt, Paulie is on training field today so we can rule out his absense along with Earls as everyone in Munster know's REAL reason both missed Leinster game is both had groin nigles nothing serious but a very bad stomach bug. Both will be ready for Saturday :D

Ah well. Chinese Whispers working their best again it seems.

As for Neil Best, this is 1stadium he has always shyed away, even when with Ulster.

Wasn't this the one stadium where Leinster haven't won in 15 years n'all?

And any chance of a souvenir flag :)
Come and ask nicely then who knows! It'll be bloody obvious which one of us guys I'll be!

What has Neil Best got to do with Leinster winning in Thomond:) :)
Neil Best always shy's off here not eery player

And Leinster fully deserved their win like last year when everyone was harping on about how we playing great rugby etc in middle of that Ulster hockeyed us at home and well it worked positively for us and I still believe Leinster result will do same.

Like I was at game last friday and listened to people say "oh Munster are finished now", and anyone who know's anything about rugby will yes say some playersare in decline and John Hayes (Great Servant) is struggling to go distances etc but we lost by a point and Leinster produced possibly one of their best defensive performances this season like so it not all gloom.

Also, Munster are a different beast with Paul O'Connell in team.
You need a pack leader and without O'Connell Munster don't have one.
Micko takes over that roll but he is not vocal enough or intimidating enough.

Because saying "This is 1 stadium [Neil Best] has always shyed away" is the same as saying "Leinster haven't won there in 15 years". Complacency that... Everyone knows he's a good player and he is having good form at the moment, helped by-in-large by Dowson and Wilson both being excellent alongside him. Until the game is over, it's as dangerous saying that as me saying "Keith Earles couldn't even have a good game against England" *cough*

Anyway, Munster have a squad up:

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7370.php

Munster Squad: Marcus Horan, Dave Ryan, Julien Brugnaut, John Hayes, Tony Buckley, Denis Fogarty, Damien Varley, Jerry Flannery, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Mick O'Driscoll, Alan Quinlan, Niall Ronan, David Wallace, Nick Williams, Billy Holland, James Coughlan, Tomas O'Leary, Peter Stringer, Ronan O'Gara, Paul Warwick, Jean De Villiers, Lifeimi Mafi, Tom Gleeson, Keith Earls, Ian Dowling, Doug Howlett, Scott Deasy

True and ROG will be our best tackler on day too :p

But squad is as expected, had a look at them training today and Paulie and Earls (despite media saying they didn't train) were doing some light work.
Felt sorry for Denis Hurley who was looking on as he has had a superb season and I fear missing this period (Leinster game and H'Cup QF) will set him back down ladder.

But Bullitt I do agree that Saints backrow is in great form and well Dowson is playing best rugby he has done in long time.
Remember watching him before for Falcons too and was impressed. It's actually funny that he isn't capped fully.

But on game our 3 main battles are simply: at 10 (Munster to edge it) Front-row (Won't even comment) and then backrow (50-50)

If it gets sloppy then battle of 15's will be interesting too but I think Munster will have done work to minimise Foden countering and also plan incase Saints occupy same strategy they dd in Jan dropping 2 wingers back deep giving ROG and Warick no space to aim for.

Latest posts