• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Ospreys

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Munster.png
Ospreys.png

Munster v Ospreys</div>

Ospreys have rested all their Lions players for Friday's final Magners League game of the season against champions Munster at Thomond Park.

Jonny Vaughton, Andrew Bishop, Filipo Levi and Ed Shervington are also missing from the 22 that beat Glasgow.

But Ospreys still select Wales skipper Ryan Jones, plus Sonny Parker, Ian Gough and outside-half James Hook.

Lions selections Paul O'Connell, Ronan O'Gara, David Wallace and Keith Earls will all start for Munster.

Donncha O'Callaghan, who is also travelling to South Africa, is named on the bench.

Parker plays his 100th Ospreys game, while wing David Evans gets a debut, as could Richard Kelly from the bench.

The champions, who will receive the Magners League trophy after the match, name Frankie Sheahan and Anthony Horgan who will be making their final appearances for the Irish province before they retire.

Sheahan made his debut for Munster in November 1996 against Western Samoa) while Horgan's came eight months later in an interprovincial championship match against Connacht.

Prop Federico Pucciariello will also be making his final appearance for Munster before leaving the Irish outfit while replacements Kieran Lewis and Mike Prendergast are also departing at the end of this season.

Munster have won their last six home matches, while the last Welsh side to win at Thomond Park were the Dragons in March 2004.

They have beaten the Ospreys in their last three encounters, including a 43-9 Heineken Cup hammering, but the Welsh side are seeking a record fourth successive away win in the league.

The Ospreys' only win in Munster was at Musgrave Park in February 2004.

"We've rested our Lions for our final fixture, they've served us well this season," said Ospreys coach Sean Holley.

"Obviously we'll be going to Munster with regrets that we aren't going there chasing silverware as we'd hoped.

"They say that it's your away form that wins you leagues, and our away form has been pretty good.

"We've won at Connacht, Glasgow, Ulster and we've had two good derby wins, but unfortunately, we've stumbled at home since the turn of the year.

"The boys selected are certainly fired up for the game, they aren't approaching it as an end of season chuck about.

"There are plenty of players with a point to prove.

"We have players who haven't been selected for Wales who want to show what they are about, some of the team have bad memories of their last visit to Thomond Park, and we have some youngsters and new faces who want to make an impact.

"It's a big day for Sonny Parker, a true Osprey who has served us well over he last few seasons.

"David Evans is a young Neath winger who has played for the Ospreys age-grade sides, and has really emerged over the last twelve months through the Wales Sevens team and some good form in the Welsh Premiership.

"He has electrifying pace and, having done well with Neath, we are taking this opportunity to see what he can do with next season in mind.

"Likewise with Richard Kelly, a young second-row who is one of Swansea's top line-out forwards."

Munster: P Warwick; D Howlett, K Earls, L Mafi, I Dowling; R O'Gara, P Stringer; F Pucciariello, D Fogarty, T Buckley; M O'Driscoll, P O'Connell capt; D Leamy, N Ronan, D Wallace. Replacements: F Sheahan, D Ryan, D O'Callaghan, J O'Sullivan, M Prendergast, A Horgan; K Lewis.

Ospreys: G Owen; A Beck, S Parker, J Spratt, D Evans; J Hook, J Nutbrown; P James, R Hibbard, C Griffiths, I Gough, A Lloyd, R Jones (capt), M Holah, F Tiatia.
Replacements: S Baldwin, D Jones, C Mitchell, R Kelly, S Tandy, R Wells, D Biggar.

Referee: Peter Allan (SRU)

BBC Sport

3-0 still to Munster after Hook misses a penalty when Munster were done for apparently going off their feet.

that was desperate defence from the Ospreys, Warwick cutting through them like a knife through butter, good handling in the buildup but that defence was pathetic.

O'Gara converts, 10-3 Munster

Ospreys level things up with the try from Hook, ripping the ball all too easily off O'Gara.

try for Wallace, Munster scrum destroying the Ospreys and Wallace peeling off to just get over for the try.

O'Gara misses the conversion.

15-10 Munster

Munster stretching clear now with 2 quick tries, one off the forwards and the other coming from a Stringer break and Wallace finishing off the move for his second try.

O'Gara converts and Munster now lead 29-10.

not a bad way to sign off for Munster there with Horgan, quality pass from O'Gara to Lewis and great line taken by Horgan to get in for the try.

36-10 to Munster 73 mins.

A cracking game and a great way for so many of those Munster players (especially Anthony Horgan) to sign off.

I thought Denis Fogarty was magnificent. Dave Ryan put in a good shift when he came on, scrummaging solidly and winning a penalty at a ruck.

Denis Fogarty was suffering from the classic problem of being magnificent when on the pitch, but letting himself down standing on the touch line throwing the ball in. 14/14 last night, I don't know if it was just O'Connell's presence at line out time or what but if he keeps it up he will be first choice Irish hooker by 2011.

I thought Niall Ronan was excellent too against a quality player like Holah, just confirmed that he will be first choice for Ireland in the upcoming tests.

To Frankie, Hoggie, Puc, Rua and to a lesser extent JOS and Lewis, good luck in what ever you decide to do next and thanks for everything you did in a red jersey B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 16 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Denis Fogarty was suffering from the classic problem of being magnificent when on the pitch, but letting himself down standing on the touch line throwing the ball in. 14/14 last night, I don't know if it was just O'Connell's presence at line out time or what but if he keeps it up he will be first choice Irish hooker by 2011.[/b]

That sounds far too definite. If he keeps it up he might be first choice hooker. Rory Best is less than a year older than him and I don't think he'll be too happy to give away his place in the Ireland team without a fight.

I think Fogs is that good to be honest, Lineout throwing is his only downfall.

I disagree that Fogarty will be the Irish starting hooker in two years time. He has a hell of a task getting past Flannery at Munster (who'll only be 32 at that stage), Rory Best and the new contender Sean Cronin.

That's not to say he won't be capped by then but he needs to sort out his lineout throwing on a consistent basis. In my opinion Fogarty can be a good player but never a great player. I could see him ending up with maybe 10 caps before he retires but never as 1st choice. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I'm not saying he will be first choice Irish hooker by RWC 2011, but he has the potential to get there, line out throwing is his only weakness at the moment IMO. He is the most dynamic hooker we have.

I didn't say he will be first choice hooker by RWC 2011, I said if he keeps playing the way he did Friday and improves his lineout throwin he will be ;)

Latest posts